Which Ceriatone amp is best for OSDM, NWOBHM and death-doom metal?

yes... I commented on that video after that fellow put it on his channel b/c I have talked with Trevor more than once about his tone (I am from Tampa).

I don't care to use the exact same gear, but a Marshall-like amp really helps even if you don't have a JCM800 (for cranking at home?). There are good compromises out there. Same goes for a lot of death-doom stuff: I won't use the same exact gear as the guys in the 90s, but it is hard to get the saturation and sustain from a rig w/o cranking it versus using an MT-2 from BOSS when you want a certain metallic chug.

THAT's 100% correct. And that's typically how I aim my guitar tone by default... pretty much like Celtic Frost and Trevor from Obituary, but not always with the same exact gear. It's just stuck in my head without a reminder, probably from listening to World Demise so many times as a teenager LOL.

The exception is that I really dig MDB's rhythm sound on this album, which is probably from a Peavey 5150:

Yeah, Obituary have always gotten killer tone. Especially the first two albums. SWR has one of the most vicious, bloodthirsty guitar tones ever recorded. Any Marshall type amp with the tricks mentioned above should get you CF/Obituary tone in spades.

Yeah, Obituary have always gotten killer tone. Especially the first two albums. SWR has one of the most vicious, bloodthirsty guitar tones ever recorded. Any Marshall type amp with the tricks mentioned above should get you CF/Obituary tone in spades.
yeah, I don't have the compulsion to completely replicate that due to the fact that the REAL sound comes from really cranking the amp. good compromise for home playing can be found at more moderate volumes, with pedals added. I found that I usually rolled my tone knob down to "1" before remembering the Obituary sound and the video from Circle of Tone reminded me why I am likely to do this... but I actually dislike the high end from guitar pickups. I think the grating sound of treble from a violin is more pleasing TBH. But, I've not found a passive pickup I really like either; maybe need to try some lower output burstbuckers from Gibson or just stick with the actives that I use (Fishman/EMG).

One thing that I have learned though is that I NEED to use a 100-watt amp of the Marshall type b/c lower wattage means I am just not getting the kind of bass quality that I need to get close enough to this kind of tone.

yes... I commented on that video after that fellow put it on his channel b/c I have talked with Trevor more than once about his tone (I am from Tampa).

I don't care to use the exact same gear, but a Marshall-like amp really helps even if you don't have a JCM800 (for cranking at home?). There are good compromises out there. Same goes for a lot of death-doom stuff: I won't use the same exact gear as the guys in the 90s, but it is hard to get the saturation and sustain from a rig w/o cranking it versus using an MT-2 from BOSS when you want a certain metallic chug.
Cool you know Trevor! Back around ‘91, Trevor, Frank(RIP) and a roadie came over to my house for a party when they were in town, and to a friends party another time. We got all fucked up with them. Lol They were super cool dudes. We were the “Diezel Freaks in Chicago“ on The End Complete thanks list. Lol

yeah, I don't have the compulsion to completely replicate that due to the fact that the REAL sound comes from really cranking the amp. good compromise for home playing can be found at more moderate volumes, with pedals added. I found that I usually rolled my tone knob down to "1" before remembering the Obituary sound and the video from Circle of Tone reminded me why I am likely to do this... but I actually dislike the high end from guitar pickups. I think the grating sound of treble from a violin is more pleasing TBH. But, I've not found a passive pickup I really like either; maybe need to try some lower output burstbuckers from Gibson or just stick with the actives that I use (Fishman/EMG).

One thing that I have learned though is that I NEED to use a 100-watt amp of the Marshall type b/c lower wattage means I am just not getting the kind of bass quality that I need to get close enough to this kind of tone.
Burstbuckers would be the last pickups I’d use for those tones. Your actives should do just fine.

Cool you know Trevor! Back around ‘91, Trevor, Frank(RIP) and a roadie came over to my house for a party when they were in town, and to a friends party another time. We got all fucked up with them. Lol They were super cool dudes. We were the “Diezel Freaks in Chicago“ on The End Complete thanks list. Lol
There are a couple of Chicago-area bands that had good sound too: Cianide and maybe Broken Hope's live sound. Cianide's album sound, Broken Hope live... saw them in Tampa probably twice.

I suppose I mention this b/c you say "Chicago" and b/c the bands from Tampa didn't always use great guitar sound.... a few of the lesser-known bands along with Obituary had better sound than some of the big ones. A band called "Burning Inside" had great rhythm guitar sound.

Yeah Cianide are killer, he has a great tone. Very CF like.
I saw this band in the late 90s too and they had pretty good live sound. from Chicago. Their songwriting left a lot to be desired, but that was most of death metal for me... <yawn> Probably never something I would do, but they were kind of interesting outside of my normal music at that time.

I do not really know Trevor TBH. I hung with Erik Rutan a little here and there just to talk about music, but never with Obituary guys. I just had a chance to chat with Trevor and Alex Webster a couple time b/c I was a bass player and sometimes played guitar, etc. Those were confusing times as someone interested in playing music but not having the sense of what to do exactly! ...and ADD problems, I suppose! The sounds I liked the most were coming from Europe and Australia despite some nice music from a few people in Tampa and New Jersey.

THAT's 100% correct. And that's typically how I aim my guitar tone by default... pretty much like Celtic Frost and Trevor from Obituary, but not always with the same exact gear. It's just stuck in my head without a reminder, probably from listening to World Demise so many times as a teenager LOL.

The exception is that I really dig MDB's rhythm sound on this album, which is probably from a Peavey 5150:

Trevor uses 2 KK JCM800's with new RAT pedals. My old band played with them several years ago and he used my cabs. He was cool enough to let me play through his rig after sound check. The stock Fender pickups are also part of his signature sound.
IMG_4075.JPG

molecular man. Ive owned one and the leviathan. the molecular can doom and with the clippers off and a rat you can do obituary. It can do thrash very easy . I preferred doing a lower gain setting then boosting with a tube screamer to get a good thrash tone like Slayer, nuclear assault type tone.

Interesting. what did you indicate to Nik as your desired sounds? thrash/death metal? something else? Gargoyle transformers/preamp and 6550 power tubes?

I should just ask Nik why he thinks Yeti instead of Chupacabra for me. He asked me if I want to play something like Meshuggah and I replied, "no, none of that," then said "King Kong" or "Yeti" with 6550 power tubes might be a good option for Slayer-like tones and death metal (in my case, I want death-doom, or Obituary kind of tone and the NWOBHM sounds like newer Darkthrone, Bathory, Celtic Frost.... CF sound was an inspiration for Obituary's rhythm guitar sound).

I might hold out a bit longer and ask you about your opinion of the amp you ordered, RedDragon. Cheers.
It was a lot of back and forth and kind of an accident. Thrash and death metal weren't actually priorities at all. I told him I was after a mostly stock 2204 sound, but one on the brighter, tighter and aggressive end of the spectrum, and I requested 6550 tubes because my two JCM800 heroes, Wylde and Slash, use them. Because I wanted Depth and PPIMV controls there wasn't enough room on the 2204's faceplate but the Gargoyle's was a perfect fit. Nik offered to build a custom chassis to fit the stock 2204 PT, but he recommended that the Gargoyle's PT would actually get me the sound I'm looking for.

I'm very curious to hear how it sounds. This is the control panel I mocked up.

EbRDqU9.jpg

Look into a Rockerverb. Good grind to it, big bottom end if you want, big cut.

Or a Mesa Stiletto. I don't know what a stock one sounds like but my modded one is nuts. Perfect hybrid with Mesa bottom and Marshall cut.

Back