Which Friedman lunchbox amp for old school Thrash Metal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27935
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27935

Hey all,

Which one of the smaller 20-50 watt amps from Friedman would you consider to be the most suitable for old school Thrash Metal? I normally use an SD-1 in front and want to achieve a very tight high gain sound with lots of attack, bite and aggression. I guess the JJ Jr has the most gain on tap but judging from the YouTube clips I have watched, its voicing seems to be placed more in the lower mids. I haven't been able to check one out personally though, so that impression might be totally wrong. A couple of weeks ago I checked out a BE-100 in the local music store and I loved how this amp sounded - the BE channel with SAT switch engaged and the HBE channel were just too good to be true.

My dream amp would definitely be a BE-50 Deluxe, but to be honest as a bedroom recording guy I really can't justify to spend 3600 Euro for an amp. Of course I would if only my wife would allow it, but I guess that will never happen. :no: :cry: :aww:

What amp would you guys recommend?

Sooo... I went to Musik Produktiv this morning and finally tried out the JJ Jr...

Mey dear Mr. singing club! (Mein lieber Herr Gesangsverein! - as we say in Germany) Does this thing sound amazing! I was able to get a super tight Thrash Metal sound in seconds, even without a boost. Then I put my SD-1 in front and it immediately catapulted me to Death Metal heaven. The interesting thing was that even with lots, lots, and lots of gain - this amp just didn't loose definition or get muddy. And to my surprise I liked its voicing even more than the BE-100 that stood underneath. I also compared it to an EVH 5150 III combo. The EVH sounded really tight, too. But compared to the JJ it had a slightly annoying upper midrange that gave my EMG 81 bridge pickup a strange single coil twang. The JJ is tight, thick, super saturated, but still clear and defined.

What can I say... I just ordered the damn thing. :)

The JJ Jr seems like an amazing amp.

I prefer the voice of the Pink Taco, though. That midrange roar is just so good.

Back