who here slaves through a solid state or tube power amp?

mixohoytian

I'm ditching the wet dry thing and going for an only wet cab w/ a slaved head
I only have a solid state power amp at the moment, and wondering if my only tone is slaved, should I be looking into a tube power amp?

I've used tube power amps and SS. SS are fine as long as you get something fairly large. The Mosvalve stuff is cool. I've only used the smaller one.

As for tube, I used to use the power sections of two 2203's. It was all I had at the time. Tube power amps weren't that common back then (or affordable).

Right now I'm using a SS PV power amp....just playing at home.

not sure I'm explaining right
signal chain:
plexi set to load into effects into solid state power amp into 1 cab
so no more wet dry
just 1 cab

for this set up would tube power amp make more sense?

I slave my old 5150 off of my 5150 III. I run my guitar into my G-System then into the front of my 5150 III. Then the 5150 III's fx send into the G-System. then the G-System's Left Out back to the 5150 III Fx return and the G-system's Right Out goes to the Fx return of the 5150. Basically using it as just a tube power amp.

mixohoytian":2cuvojz6 said:
signal chain:
so no more wet dry
just 1 cab

I'd split the slave signal, then mix the fx and dry in a RJM minimix (basically making a parallel loop), to the power amp. I like tubes, but depending on your needs some SS amps are great.

mixohoytian":w1uuf589 said:
signal chain:
so no more wet dry
just 1 cab

That will work fine. Tube power amp would also work fine.

My last cover band I would run my Wizard MC into load then into the Wizard Metal's fx loop return (power amp input)....worked great and I always had a backup just in case.

See the problem with that is without the vacuum in the tubes the fragile harmonics just cant survive in the crystal lattice, I dont think I can explain it any simpler than that. :thumbsup:

Im not doing that BUT…. I run my Slave into a 2290 then into a Art SLA2 ss amp so I dont color the Tube amp Head with another tube amp.

If you are running your Plexi volume on 10 into a Load box and just want to amp it with out coloring it with another tube amp then I would go with a good SS amp.

Are you not able to control output volume from you load box like on a THD Hot Plate?

Many famous names did this both as W/D and W/D/W using the mosfet HHV800. I have one, and it sounds great for this application.

jlbaxe":b4fzpcc6 said:
Im not doing that BUT…. I run my Slave into a 2290 then into a Art SLA2 ss amp so I dont color the Tube amp Head with another tube amp.

If you are running your Plexi volume on 10 into a Load box and just want to amp it with out coloring it with another tube amp then I would go with a good SS amp.

Are you not able to control output volume from you load box like on a THD Hot Plate?

cool yeah that's what I'm doing
mojave peacemaker not necessarily on 10, but up like at 7
I can control line out from my head
or from hotplate

mojave guys tell me I'm lame to not use a dry cab then line out for effects, but I just want it all in one cab w/ one mic for live now

I got it all set up right now, 2 heads and a separate wet dry cabs

Back