..wich one is V1 and V2 ?

virgil

Hi there,
In an Egnater module..tell me please wich one is the V1 and V2 socket?
( looking to the front of module,left to right,please)
Thanks a lot!

Knobs toward you and looking from left to right in the module...V1..V2. Now the magic V1 is truly the first tube in the chassis...closest to the input jack. But when dealing with your module left to right V1, V2.

Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong, but changing tubes in the modules has a bigger impact. The "magic" V1 on the M4 changes the overall color (tone) and gain of all modules but it's a more subtle change. The trick is to find a tube for "magic" V1 that will give you the best sound from all your modules.

My used M4 came with Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH's in "magic" V1 and V2 and I found all of my modules except for the SL2 had too much midrange. I tried Tung Sol's and that flattened the mids but spiked the treble and lowered the bass a bit. JJ ECC83S high gain (115) tubes were too hot and sounded dirty. Some old Sovtek 12AX7WB's were more even but the sound quality decreased (lo-fi). Bruce ships the M4 with Sovtek 12AX7WA's (thanks for confirming this Jeff), so I'm going to purchase some of those to try next.
I'm running Tung Sol's in the M4 for now, but I did prefer the EH's (in the M4) for the SL2 module. Don't know if it's possible, but it would be cool to have two "magic" V1's on the M4 that you can switch between via. MIDI.

Regarding the modules, "V1" and "V2" is printed in TINY letters behind the tube sockets on each module. You have to remove the tubes to see it.

Thanks for that info. I just popped a Tung Sol in there as there was an EH in there before. I'll play it at the gig tonight and see how it sounds. Got the Bassman and SL2. May bring the EG3/4 to plug in for one of the sets......we'll see.

Back