Will this Mesa cab jive?

Matt300ZXT

I've always been a Marshall cab guy, or Marshall style (if an aftermarket company) cab guy...even though I have 2 Budda cabs, but I digress. There is a local guy with what looks like a smokin' deal on a traditional sized 280w 4x12 4FB. Will that cab jive with my "nothing but 80's solos" and Ratt and Winger riff jamming? It'll look massively out of place amongst all my hot-rodded Marshall style amps, but it is a straight face cab and both of my Marshall cabs are slants, so it might fill a need I don't know I have.

Fuck yeah....I actually prefer the standards to the OS ones. I don't have the best history with 1960's so.....v30's I assume?

He says the cab has the Celestion V30s, but being a 280w cab, it should have the Mesa branded V30s that handle a bit more juice.

i like their traditional cabs from a build standpoint but don't like V30's. I'd like to find a traditional straight cab for the Boogie heads I have but I would definitely change the speakers.

If it's a killer deal then yeah....those cabs sound great. Just depends on whether you jive with the v30's. The mesa and avatar v30's are awesome but the marshall ones suck balls.

One of the best cabs available. If the price is right hit it immediately.
Traditional straight cabs are also much harder to come by then slants.
Yep, the traditional is smaller/tighter than the Standard which is the OS Recto cab. Not a huge fan of those speakers with Marshalls though, but others get along with them. I had an early/mid 90s armor plated made of lead cab that didn't like a Marshall I had at the time. But it was definitely tight sounding.

If its a 280W label then odds are good it's a 2003 or older cab that had much better sounding V30s in it. Definitely worth a shot, and if you do change speakers, hit me up.

Also yeah the recto trad straight is the grail Mesa cab. No one sells them for a reason.

Yep, the traditional is smaller/tighter than the Standard which is the OS Recto cab. Not a huge fan of those speakers with Marshalls though, but others get along with them. I had an early/mid 90s armor plated made of lead cab that didn't like a Marshall I had at the time. But it was definitely tight sounding.
Yeah the OS is more cavernous sounding and less punchy. Cool cabs, just not my bag.
The V30 loaded Trad cab gets much more Marshall friendly by changing out two speakers to Greenbacks, T75’s, G65’s, anything less aggressive in the mids than a V30.

Yes. I got my traditional straight Mesa cab off Craigslist and it rips. Guy told me it had Celestions, but it turns out they were Greenbacks. That cab sounded fantastic with GBs, but I'm a V30 guy. I put it back to stock.

I prefer traditional cabs to OS cabs.

Be aware it is a 8 ohm cab. I think all the Mesa cabs are 8 ohm.

I have a straight traditional and standard slant oversized.

The oversized cab I put in 16 ohm G12K-85 bottom and Vintage 30 on top.

I have a Marshall Vintage 30 cab also.

The Mesa cab is pretty different sounding than the Marshall cabs. Less resonant and slightly darker.

I like them all.

Back