WIzard MCII vs Friedman JJ100 - which to buy next?

RedPlated":18jdizhk said:
I've had both.

Wizards are something else - IF you can turn them up. They need volume to excel at what they do best.

For bedroom-ish volumes I'd take the JJ100.

Yeah. Interesting others think they sound good at lower volumes. We'll i'd say they sound fine at lower volumes, but not good. They do sound absolutely amazing cranked. At bed room, or don't piss off the wife too bad levels, really pretty mediocre.

I've played 2016 MTL 100w, and 2018 MCII 100w. You will have a shit eating grin on your face when played loud.

I've owned the Friedman BE-100's, SS100, Butterslax, JJ100

I would take my MC1 100w over any of those - the Wizards just have more of what I like. More girth, more low end grunt, more clarity and more dynamics. The Friedman amps aren't bad, but I'd rather spend a little extra on a Wizard, MC, MCII, MTL - either one will put a smile on your face. And the master works fine for lower volume playing as well, still sounds great. Loud they're vicious.

UberschallEL34":2ij2f1x9 said:

I would take my MC1 100w over any of those - the Wizards just have more of what I like. More girth, more low end grunt, more clarity and more dynamics. The Friedman amps aren't bad, but I'd rather spend a little extra on a Wizard, MC, MCII, MTL - either one will put a smile on your face. And the master works fine for lower volume playing as well, still sounds great. Loud they're vicious.

Everyone has been very helpful in describing how awesome the Wizards are but this was really good to know. I will hold off on Friedman's and put my $$$ into a Wizard. Starting with an MTL.

Has anyone compared the Wizards to a VH4? What's that comparison like?

CNutz":3n2k0sll said:
RedPlated":3n2k0sll said:
I've had both.

Wizards are something else - IF you can turn them up. They need volume to excel at what they do best.

For bedroom-ish volumes I'd take the JJ100.

Yeah. Interesting others think they sound good at lower volumes. We'll i'd say they sound fine at lower volumes, but not good. They do sound absolutely amazing cranked. At bed room, or don't piss off the wife too bad levels, really pretty mediocre.

I've played 2016 MTL 100w, and 2018 MCII 100w. You will have a shit eating grin on your face when played loud.
This is a subject that I seem to always kinda wonder about....all tube amps respond the same way. They don't sound as good at a low volume, as they will at a crushing volume. Sure, some tapers are different...whisper to heart attack...but other than that, they all respond the same way. I've never heard any tube amp sound bad at a low volume...others seem to think they do. To each their own. I've had 2 BE 100s and 2 Wizards, and both brands respond the same way as others do..the BE sounded ok at a low volume, while the Wizards sounded ok at a low volume as well. Just like an SLO, 2203/4, Jubilee etc etc etc. And yes, they all sound much better louder, BEs included. The MCI 100w though had this really cool effect at about .5 on the master, easily bedroom/apt level, that you'd swear the power tubes are compressing. Nudge the master up a bit higher and it goes away. Have no clue how Rick pulls that off but there it was. So I'd go so far as to say that amp was the best low volume amp I've owned.

Veritas0Aequitas":2sj8yev0 said:
UberschallEL34":2sj8yev0 said:

Everyone has been very helpful in describing how awesome the Wizards are but this was really good to know. I will hold off on Friedman's and put my $$$ into a Wizard. Starting with an MTL.

Has anyone compared the Wizards to a VH4? What's that comparison like?

I had my MTL and MCII side by side with my VH4 and Herbert 2. I eventually sold both Diezels and kept the Wizards. I will say I prefer the Herbert to the VH4. The VH4 is a much smoother, more compressed... and waaayyy darker sounding amp. Like super-dark even with the presence at 2:00 and smoooooth compared to a Wizard. I prefer more cutting and edgier sounding amps.

UberschallEL34":2kj8pgof said:

I agree with all this. Lovely amps. I stuck with my Naylor and sold the Wizard MC1, but loved that Wizard. Would have one again in a heartbeat, if I had the $.

Goat":3lfjl1oo said:
If you regularly play at stage volume, I'd go for the Wizard. If not, go with the the JJ.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but the two Wizards I've owned (17 MCII 100w and 16 MTL 100w) both sounded amazing at low/moderate volume. Goes without saying (as with all tubed amps) sounds best winding the power section up, but with the loop send/return knobs on back I was able to get punchy, tight, juicy, grinding, thick, articulate low volume tones that honestly felt/sounded like the power section was cooking...zero fizz with rich 3D tones.

For full disclosure however on the former, I am running an MXR 10 band in the loop and boosting with an OD out front.
And my take on low volume might not be the same as others. I'm not talking mouse fart whisper volumes but rather moderate as in you couldn't hold a conversation with someone next to you without raising your voice.

Those Wizards and the 50CL Pitbull I have are the best low volume amps I've ever played through.

MetalHeadMike":22a5aqgo said:
Goat":22a5aqgo said:
If you regularly play at stage volume, I'd go for the Wizard. If not, go with the the JJ.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but the two Wizards I've owned (17 MCII 100w and 16 MTL 100w) both sounded amazing at low/moderate volume. Goes without saying (as with all tubed amps) sounds best winding the power section up, but with the loop send/return knobs on back I was able to get punchy, tight, juicy, grinding, thick, articulate low volume tones that honestly felt/sounded like the power section was cooking...zero fizz rich 3D tones.

For full disclosure however on the former, I am running an MXR 10 band in the loop and boosting with an OD out front.
And my take on low volume might not be the same as others. I'm not talking mouse fart whisper volumes but rather moderate like you couldn't hold a conversation with someone next to you without raising your voice type levels.

Those Wizards and the 50CL Pitbull I have are the best low volume amps I've ever played through.
I recently passed on a 50CL for a crazy great price. :doh:

Goat":1hsjgnaw said:
MetalHeadMike":1hsjgnaw said:
Goat":1hsjgnaw said:

I know I'm in the minority on this, but the two Wizards I've owned (17 MCII 100w and 16 MTL 100w) both sounded amazing at low/moderate volume. Goes without saying (as with all tubed amps) sounds best winding the power section up, but with the loop send/return knobs on back I was able to get punchy, tight, juicy, grinding, thick, articulate low volume tones that honestly felt/sounded like the power section was cooking...zero fizz rich 3D tones.

And my take on low volume might not be the same as others. I'm not talking mouse fart whisper volumes but rather moderate like you couldn't hold a conversation with someone next to you without raising your voice type levels.

What's a crazy good price?

MetalHeadMike":27uy1w76 said:
Goat":27uy1w76 said:
MetalHeadMike":27uy1w76 said:
Goat":27uy1w76 said:

$500.00

Goat":bya6mtx9 said:
MetalHeadMike":bya6mtx9 said:
MetalHeadMike":bya6mtx9 said:

$500.00

:shocked: Had to be beat up or in need of repairs wouldn't you think?

MetalHeadMike":dtsdn70n said:
Goat":dtsdn70n said:

$500.00

:shocked: Had to be beat up or in need of repairs wouldn't you think?
Looked nice to me. I had just purchased an R7, so I passed on it. Had it been a CLX, I would have jumped on it. Back in 2015, I purchased a purple SLO head for $1200.00 cash, and a aqua MM EVH for $1000.00 in the same Sam Ash parking lot. Guys take gear to SA to sell, so I bird-dog them in the parking lot before they go in. It's good system!

I sold my JJ to find my MTL, never looked back!
I honestly liked the JJ a lot, but I preferred my Friedman modded
JMP over the JJ, but the Wizz is on a whole new level to me

All cork sniffery aside, Wizards are top of the heap IMO. The clarity, articulation, punch, air moved, grunt, balls, grind...it's all there.

Devilinside":18x5tj2j said:
I sold my JJ to find my MTL, never looked back!
I honestly liked the JJ a lot, but I preferred my Friedman modded
JMP over the JJ, but the Wizz is on a whole new level to me
Agreed on all points. I preferred the Friedman modded Marshall’s to the production ones, but Wizards over both

All I can say is that I don't think I could recognize someone playing a Wizard MC or Metal in a music store just from hearing it. On the other hand, if I heard someone playing a JJ, there's a good chance I'd recognize that tone. Wizard kind of reminds me of the CAE OD-100 which is another killer amp; delivers 100% in any aspect but doesn't strike me as particularly distinct in flavor.

The JJ-100 is very special and one of the greatest amps there is in my opinion. I have seen criticisms of the JJ and kind of write them off as boiling down to one of 3 things: they had unrealistic expectations, were using some oddball settings, or simply hear crap that no one else hears. Personally, I have yet to read a critical review that describes my experience owning a JJ. In any case, it's an extremely good amp and having to decide between the two is a privilege many people can envy.

Back