I'm sure whatever guitar you get him it will mean a lot to him! Good on you! People like you help restore my faith in humanity!

I'm sure whatever guitar you get him it will mean a lot to him! Good on you! People like you help restore my faith in humanity!

When I started I had a charvel that was a NIGHTMARE! I fought the thing to no end. I am surprised I kept playing!! Haha! I need to find something better than what I started in. The guitar I had was truly horrible, thank god for a paper route, I bought my own guitar not long after. Kids don’t do paper routes in my area anymore. Now it’s people driving around in their cards when I was young, kids did all the local paper routes. On our bikes or on foot!! Haha!

Right!
Back in the day, a family friend who was an old school country player let me borrow an old Silvertone copy. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world!

Last edited:
Mike.....I have a few extra guitars here I’d be happy to give to the kid. I’ve been donating some of my guitars to a local mom and pop guitar shop to try to help keep them alive and I still have a few here. I could meet you halfway if your up for a road trip ??? Steve

Mike.....I have a few extra guitars here I’d be happy to give to the kid. I’ve been donating some of my guitars to a local mom and pop guitar shop to try to help keep them alive and I still have a few here. I could meet you halfway if your up for a road trip ??? Steve

Damn Man, that would be incredible!! I would meet you anytime! Thanks so much. Yeah, I just feel sorry for this kid, he is a great little dude. That kid that gets along with adults better than kids his age, that is smart in strange ways, and kind of fears the world a bit, that’s him. He loves guitar more than anything, and it was never going to happen at his house so I decided I had to make it happen for him.
That’s really cool man!

If he's 'on the spectrum' that probably means he's in the Autistic Spectrum...sounds like he's high functioning so he could be a 'savant' in that he'll develop a skill that will far and away be off the charts compared to others...so, if guitar is something he already enjoys you could be looking at a super talent in the making..if he's encouraged to pursue it.
Love to hear how this works out....keep us informed!

This Charvel “charvette” would be perfect for a kid to learn on. 3/4 scale Dinky and this thing practically plays itself. I used this guitar when I was young for at least 100 shows.
4631F5D6-A7AD-4A5C-9E2F-5ADB31AAF20A.jpeg

This brings me a lot of joy.

I'd steer clear of getting him anything with a floating trem. There's nothing more discouraging than a guitar that requires a lot of work to re-string, tune, detune to drop d, all that.

I think any standard Strat would be perfect. Squier or Mexican Fender. Most are routed HSS, so if you have a harvested humbucker laying around (don't we all?), you can get a HSS pickguard and install it.

That way, not only does he get a versatile guitar that brings the rock, but he gets a platform that can evolve with him.

The guitar I'm playing the most these days is the body from my first guitar (Squier Affinity Strat made in China) with literally everything else replaced over the years with aftermarket parts.

This brings me a lot of joy.

I'd steer clear of getting him anything with a floating trem. There's nothing more discouraging than a guitar that requires a lot of work to re-string, tune, detune to drop d, all that.

I think any standard Strat would be perfect. Squier or Mexican Fender. Most are routed HSS, so if you have a harvested humbucker laying around (don't we all?), you can get a HSS pickguard and install it.

That way, not only does he get a versatile guitar that brings the rock, but he gets a platform that can evolve with him.

The guitar I'm playing the most these days is the body from my first guitar (Squier Affinity Strat made in China) with literally everything else replaced over the years with aftermarket parts.
Hmmm.... that’s a valid point about the trem. Hadn’t even considered that. Maybe Mike is willing to help him with re-strings and tuning?

Back