Some food for thoughts on dialing in your amps...

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
IMO, most amps seem pretty straight forward, and easy enough to dial in a good tone if you can afford the volume. Certain builders though, just seem to have an odd way of approaching the tone stack. The old Mesa for sure, struggled with those for a while before I understood the EQ. Bogner gave me some grief, especially the twinjet, but once you find those sweet spots... Everyone hated Krank too, but those things had a narrow range on the EQ, combined with sweep, where they could sound pretty wicked.

Yeah. When I bought my first guitar processor at 16 (Digitech GSP 2101 Artist) I played that into a 60's Fender Bandmaster. Had no clue what I was doing, managed to get OK tones but they were not inspiring like the ones I get today.

Ditched that after HS and got a Rivera M60 used...no manual. Decent tones but still didn't understand what the hell was going on to any significant degree...had PRS Dragon II pickups put in my guitar because 311 played PRS (Tim had Seymour Duncans...LOL) and had brand new UK V30's in my front load cab. Can you say ice pick city three times fast? I know what "laser beam" treble is. At least when I played "Be Quiet and Drive" by Deftones it sounded right! hehe

Only tone stacks I've futzed with that were simple/straightforward have been Marshalls and Oranges.

I got a lot of response to this topic and I still see people falling into this trap. Of course I'm not saying that all of you are actually doing it wrong but I'm just offering some food for thought. Here's another example of an amp that benefits from EQ settings other than the noon positions, the PRS Archon:

I got a lot of response to this topic and I still see people falling into this trap. Of course I'm not saying that all of you are actually doing it wrong but I'm just offering some food for thought. Here's another example of an amp that benefits from EQ settings other than the noon positions, the PRS Archon:

You’re the one who started this thread with this same video. :ROFLMAO:

I think you uploaded the wrong video then, bub, unless both vids are exactly 11:28 long and the intros are exactly the same!

Thanks for checking that. I double checked and this is the new one indeed...

I think, with any amp we try our normal eq settings and see if they work. Most players are smart enough to know the value of turning knobs to get better results.
Most Marshalls, SLOs and similar I always max presence then bring up treble slowly. Seems to work.
The C Recto, is quite different than any F or G in that I can Dime the bass and it’s huge but not overwhelming. And, diming the mids is also great not honky like other Rectos.
Each amp is different.

vh4 is like this, you need to put pres at 3 oclock and and set the depth same spot then pull it back till it feels right. for me its 1 oclock. The amp sounds dead without setting the power amp right from the start

Back