ZEN Amps YouTube thread - Friedman Dirty Shirley 40W vid up

This is why these clips shine. Even some folks who've made great sounding clips, when switching amp, cabs, guitars, there's barely a difference in the recording. Zen's clips sound radically different when switching cabs, guitars, players and the amps don't sound like each other at all. It's because they managed to capture realism. They sound like that in person so it's as simple as that. They took a lot of time with strategic mic placement and such. Suck it, digital IR's !!!
I'm glad all the time and care we've taken with both close and room mic placement is paying off, it really is make or break. Pretty easy to make a superb amp sounds like rubbish if you drop the ball for even a minute!

Much seed will be spilled while watching this channel
A highly disturbing thought, but a compliment nonetheless so thanks.

JMP 2203 from 1979. A particularly nice one, running NOS tubes and fresh filter caps. Beast.

Love this! The full mix at 1:45 to 3:00 sounds terrific. Volume up and turning down the gain is where it's at for me. Makes the player really have to work for it, but the reward is glorious tone. Really appreciate you guys doing such a great and thorough job on these videos.

Love this! The full mix at 1:45 to 3:00 sounds terrific. Volume up and turning down the gain is where it's at for me. Makes the player really have to work for it, but the reward is glorious tone. Really appreciate you guys doing such a great and thorough job on these videos.
Thanks man - slight AC-DC influence on this one. I mean we're Aussie rock fans that love Marshalls, it's in the blood!

Sounds great, but brings me to tears over my lost love.....my '79 2203 I foolishly sold a couple of decades back. It's the only piece of guitar gear I've sold and regretted.
It's better to have loved and lost.... well except with JMP's. You're better off never having experienced it - we weep with you friend.

All this information in the videos really is awesome. The settings of each boost and the amp is great feature
Thanks for your continued support mate, much appreciated.

That JMP is the goods. Sounds SO good. Love that circuit. Originals are awesome but at the prices they go for now adays, just build one from a kit or buy a Ceriatone. Might sacrifice a bit of tone but that is made up by the VOLUME mod.... where you actually turn it up past 5.

Quickly becoming the best demo channel on YouTube. Glad to see Leon Todd is onboard too. He’s been consistently one of the best for years now.
Thanks! Agreed - Leon is a great player and very knowledgable, but most importantly a humble, decent human being.

What exactly is zen amps? Do you build amps?
We've been tinkering for years with DIY and mods but about 2 years ago we dreamt up a concept for an original design that is now in the R&D phase. The channel in the meantime is a fun diversion that we hope can be useful for some folks. We just want to show the collection, get some guitarist friends involved and start engaging formally with the online gear community.

Great to hear the amps this way. So much better than the fake sounding IRs that most use
Thanks man. I gotta say, for years I wasn't into IR's. I tried a lot from various sellers including Celestion (not good at all), and was never really happy with the results. Then during our extended, brutally long lockdowns I experimented a tonne with various techniques to make our own.

They sounded ok, then fine, and then after further refinements of the creation method quite good, then great! Never quite as good as the real thing, but good enough now that I'm happy to use them for non-essential duties like demos or quick recordings.

The convenience, silent recording factor etc. is a huge plus, but man there's nothing like cranking up through a great cab \w/

Back