Einstein with yellowjackets

stoob0t

Is it possible or safe to run the Einstein with yellowjackets and EL84's in the poweramp section?

If so, what would you recommend biassing the amplifier to, if both pairs were running yellowjacketed EL84's?

Thanks!

I did add to the post about YJ's that the headroom on a two power tube setup such as a 50 watt amp does not allow the clean headroom to be as strong BUT if you have a four power tube setup such as a 100 watt amp, you will get better results all around due to the added clean headroom the amp affords.

I have recently tried using lower rated pre-amp tubes in V-1 and V-2 to cut back some of the available distortion and found that I can actually open up the gain and channel volumes more.
The master volumes are not affected by this change that I can hear, so you will still have plenty of power to push out the tones, but the distortion takes on a different characteristic.

Thanks for that!

What i was considering was replacing the 12AX7 in V1 with a 12AT7 or 12AU7, and then running 4 YJ EL84's, or maybe even just using one pair of YJ's - as my clean sound comes from a Deluxe Reverb

What i was hoping to acheive was the Diezel voicing - but with a bit more 'bark' if that's the right word for it.

The YJ's have a touch more mids to my ears then the EL-34's do, but the EL-34's are darker sounding over all.
You might try one set of YJ's in with the other power tubes already in the amp now as the weaker tubes (EL-84) will break up faster then the EL-34's.
Additionally, try the pre-amp tube replacement as well and you can actually fine tune the distortion and the distorted tones you will get by trying different manufacturer's pre-amp tubes and differently rated pre-amp tubes as well.

If the amp is still too loud, remember that you have only reduced the wattage from 100 to about 70 watts, give or take a couple watts. To lower it even more, you will need two sets of YJ's and then your amp will be down to about 36 watts RMS. You will hear the decrease in power from your amp at this point and it should sound much brighter as the EL-84's are generally brighter sounding then the EL-34's are.

Hi Peter, :)
I sent you an email.
Olaf, you are correct Sir! ;)
Stephen

>|<>QBB<
LaXu":134a6 said:
Does anyone know if the Einstein can take 6V6 tubes?

First ask Peter or Olaf but normally an 6V6 is a tetrode too like an 6L6, so I believe it is normal, only the output power will drop significantly. But why do you want to do this?

>|<>QBB<
JohnRageOn":bb48e said:
>|<>QBB<

First ask Peter or Olaf but normally an 6V6 is a tetrode too like an 6L6, so I believe it is normal, only the output power will drop significantly. But why do you want to do this?

I thought it would be an interesting experiment. I liked how 6V6 tubes sounded in my previous amp. Not all amps can be set for the voltages they use though, as far as I know.

Back