Herbert: More sustain with the channel volumes above 11:00?

Random Hero

I nearly always run my ch masters around 10:00, but I had a quick mess around late this evening, and I will more tomorrow with the channel masters.

From what I could briefly tell, the higher I put the channel master, the more sustain I seemed to get, even when I lowered the main master to compensate for the volume increase, and it keep it somewhat the same.

This is ch3 i'm talking about, and strictly lead tones.

Am I being retarded in not thinking of this long ago? :D

although it'll push your tubes, i like running channel volumes around 1pm and adjusting the master section from there. that way the pre is nice and pushed, try forcing the channels a little stronger, roll back the gain some, never higher than the channel volume for me, and boost the master, play with that

you gotta push the amp more and not with gain necessarily, to get more sustain going, but also depends on your guitar. plus, if the diezel version you have is the stock production model with that grille (and not upgraded), i don't remember the sustain being very strong to begin with but i could be wrong. just try it out, don't be afraid to turn knobs, or have someone else do it while you play. don't forget that your guitar is made famous by someone using lots of reverb and delays, and the jacksons are typically limited on sustain, that's my opinion anyways.

:|::QBB:
Mr Ten":dbdf3 said:
you gotta push the amp more and not with gain necessarily, to get more sustain going, but also depends on your guitar. plus, if the diezel version you have is the stock production model with that grille (and not upgraded), i don't remember the sustain being very strong to begin with but i could be wrong. just try it out, don't be afraid to turn knobs, or have someone else do it while you play. don't forget that your guitar is made famous by someone using lots of reverb and delays, and the jacksons are typically limited on sustain, that's my opinion anyways.

JP doesn't use reverb :p

As far as the head I have, it's been upgraded to the latest spec, so I imagine it's just a volume thing as of late. My tone isn't lacking sustain, it was more of an observation than anything else tbh.

Thanks for the info :)

rick13":48744 said:
The upgrade is over rated. Ask Peter.
Rick

I read the differences are minimal, either way, like I said, my head isn't lacking sustain, it was more of an observation than anything else.

rick13":0972a said:
The upgrade is over rated. Ask Peter.
Rick

as if peter should be your center for tonal opinion? come on dude, have you heard both mods? they were certainly promoting its scale as a whole new amp once they made the mod from v1 to v2, but whatever to the forum consensus.

i've played all versions and highly recommend v2. i played v1 and thought it was ok, played v2 about a year later when it came out, i simply laughed out loud and continued to laugh while demo'ing it, heard plenty the same about other guitarists when they tried it and heard the difference.

and i know he doesn't use verbs anymore, used to :yes:

just experiment, too many variables beyond the amp that affect sustain too

Sorry I haven't played all of the versions and I don't disagree with what your presenting. According to Peter, the first 30 were noticeably different. In discussing this with Uwe, he indicated a marginal difference from V2 forward that one might find "minimal" and not worth any upgrade or second thought....it is conceivable that some might prefer version I. That's in the ear of the beholder.
Rick

Back