so of the three diezel 4x12's offered....

BURNTHISCORPSE

only one is birtch correct??
1) front loaded, poplar
2) rear loaded, poplar
3) rear loaded, birtch (the nyc)
????????

you can't get a front loaded diezel made of birtch??? :cry:

what is the dealer price for these usually?

The 2x12 cabinets are $995 each, the 412 cabinets are $1299. Mojo, stoneage, JD,earcandy....looking more popular by the day.
Rick

the 4x12's retail list for $1299? that cant be the bottom line???
the problem is , i want those goddamn eminence custom speakers.

That came as a quote from a local shop in Maryland. The shop tells me that the boutique amp makers don't allow them to vary pricing on their products!
I wanted (2) 2 x 12's now it's looking as if (1) 4x 12 will be the better value unless I go to another maker.
Rick

thats horseshit!!! (no offense to Peter D ofcourse). 1300 for a cab is ridiculous. the biggest reason i am wanting a diezel is the custom diezel speakers!!!!!!! best speakers for metal IMHO i have ever experienced. and since you apparently cannot get them anywhere else(havnt asked peter personally) you need a diezel cab. yes they look bad-ass and are built very well just like a bogner looks bad-ass and is built very well. guess i will be looking used.

So...could you not glue a rear loaded cab shut and achieve the tonal characteristics of a front loaded cab? I know it's more complicated than that, but am I missing something here?
Rick

well, if they give me a choice between birtch and poplar i will always take birtch. between front or rear loaded i will always take front loaded. because there is a choice. i would be ok with rear loaded. its back to the whole point with me. its about those custom speakers.

:|::QBB:
BURNTHISCORPSE":1c849 said:
well, if they give me a choice between birtch and poplar i will always take birtch. between front or rear loaded i will always take front loaded. because there is a choice. i would be ok with rear loaded. its back to the whole point with me. its about those custom speakers.

why the preference in birch vs poplar? have you played similar cabs of both woods to hear and compare a difference? not being cynical, i'm truly curious about the characteristic differences if anything noticeable.

Man I am confused....front loaded ,rear loaded, birch,poplar, baffles....for this kind of money the cab should do it all and talk back! In all seriousness, if you went with a rear loaded cab and wanted it to sound tighter, what could you do to the cab?
Rick

my early 70's HI-WATT cab is front loaded. ie: no removable rear panel(s). its a pain in the ass to load/wire. its marine grade void free baltic birtch. wired with 12ga monster cable(soldered not crimped) . and i have yet to play through a cab that can touch it. its thicker , heavier sounding. has more depth and punch. doesnt matter if its classic rock or modern death metal. there is no "give" to the rear of the cab. its also ported 4 times on the front. being loaded with an X pattern of celestion GT75's and eminence Diezel customs doesnt hurt either. loaded it weighs around 110lbs. I also have a mint marshall 1960 series cab. its loaded with vin30's and gt75's wired with 16ga monster cable. and it doesnt even come close to the HI-WATT. on its own, it sounds great. stacked(like i run them) they sound nice together. but play one for an hour and plug into the other one and its obvious.
birtch is warmer sounding. gives more depth and realism if you ask me. then its just grades of birtch. marine grade is obviously better. and void free is optimal for obvious reasons.
the poplar cabs i have owned....Krank......for instance.....some of the worst speakers ever made (eminence texas heat). aside from that, a well built cab. very overpriced like everything they sell. but again, made well and sounds good with the right speakers.
i dont really have anything against poplar cabs. i have just played enough of each to know what sounds better to me.

:|::QBB:
rick13":6590e said:
So...could you not glue a rear loaded cab shut and achieve the tonal characteristics of a front loaded cab? I know it's more complicated than that, but am I missing something here?
Rick

ya its a bit more complicated.

you glue the back shut, tightly.

re mount the speakers from the rear of the baffle to the front.

and most often you've have to scrap the grill cloth because it is tight to the baffle.

stick with the rear loaded cab. sell it if you don't like it.

Brae

$1,299 is list price. Tone Merchants has them on their site for $1,050. I think he charges $40 for shipping on top of that.

Yeah 1299 is list and 1050 is MAP....As for dealer, please don't go around and ask for it, its for manufacturers, dealers, and distributors to know. Peter sets what prices he wants on his equipment and that is that. There is no need to ask for, or to post any dealer cost. That is not respectful or considerate to dealers considering they have to make a living selling them...
Thanks,
Josh

also note that diezel cabs (and amps) are super responsive and not as slushy as most other cabs. that said, the front-loaded cab was so tight, if you push down on one speaker, you can see the other three rise from air displacement! top-notch cabs indeed.

I am really close to ordering a front loaded 4x 12....unless someone has a great deal on a used one...................
Rick

Back