Tube idiot!? =)

The Udo

I just got to ask this question! I´ve seen some topics that deals with tube questions in the preamp section. My question now is: can you have different types of tubes in the preamp section? Like five different kinds of tubes?

I would be seriously greatful for some assistans! :)

Peace be with you!

Sure, if only the sockets fit.

Assuming that you have a VH4 you can i.e. use the following type of preamp tubes in what ever combinations:
- 12AX7 / ECC83 / 7025 / CV4004
- 12AT7 / ECC81 / CV4024
- 12AU7 / ECC82 / CV4003 / 5814A

Enjoy experimenting. It may turn out to be a never ending story.

Hahaha!! Yes, that´s the first thing I´ve experienced with tubes....it´s a jungle!!! =) That´s really cool that I can experiment with what kind of tubes that I want! Anyone got any recomendations?

Peace....I´m really drunk so excuse my english! :)

Skål The Udo!

"Helan går, sjung hopp,
fa-de-ral-lan-lal-lan lej...!"

...Och lycka till!

What kind of sound you are after?

By the way, I think that 12AU7 / ECC82 tubes are not that suitable for Diezels, or at least to VH4. Can enyone confirm this? Or then I just had bad ones.

There are already few discussion about this very topic. Try the search function.

I am using Tung-Sol 12AX7 (both ordinary and the gold pin version) and the stock / similar Ruby 12AX7. But when I only will find time I will continue experimenting few tubes. I should be able to get few NOS Mullards, etc.

I did not like JJ ECC83 or Electro Harmonix ECC81 and ECC83, but it seems that some players truly like them.

Hahaha! Ja, igår var det verkligen skål för min del! Helt as-full! =) Får väl fortsätta på engelska! :)

I rememeber that I´ve seen some topics about tubes in the preamp section, I was just looking for the mix and match question! :) But as I said earlier it´s a real jungle and I´m just getting started! First step is to put in Ruby 6L6´s instead of the stock EL34 and see what happends. Anyone tried it??

:cheers: :cheers2: :drunk: :barf: och sen...mera :drink:

I have no precise experience of Ruby 6L6s, but I would assume that they will make the amp "rounder" and more 3D sounding. Not so biting, harsh and dirty (which are the lovely characteristics of EL34s) as it is with stock tubes.

Im having JJ KT77 and I like them, but to keep on experimentitng I am currently wondering should I order a quartet of either:
- Svetlana / SED 6550C
- Tung-Sol 6550
- Svetlana / SED KT88
- JJ KT88

In addition to The Udo's question about Ruby 6L6s, does anyone have experience of any of these?

I've gone through several power amp tubes with the VH4 and my favorites are the Ruby 6L6s. To me, it's a nice middle ground between the full round tone of SED winged-C 6L6s and the biting tone of Ruby EL34s.

Sounds really cool man! The tone I´m after is kind of a modern tone with real chunk! I play i B tuning so want a really big but tight low-end. To sum up....I want a f***ing monster! :)

Got any clips of your Diezel?

Back