What pedal to boost a VH4

slivoid

Hi everyone !

I am looking for a pedal to boost my VH4, in order to make the sound more thicker, more substantial, and add a bit of mediums. (I do not know if theses translations are correct).
Do you have any advises for boost pedals, that would make a lovely couple with my VH4 ?

Thanks ;)

Bonjour

Mediums: you'd want to say "mids"

To me, Diezel, just like Engl amps, are so tight that they don't benefit from a "clean boost" pedal
I would look into the Suhr Koko Boost, which has a mid-boost function with 3 different modes
You could also try an EQ pedal to boost those desired frequencies

Au plaisir

Yes, I speak about "mids".
Sorry copain francophone (french friend), my English is... very bad :)

Thanks for your advice. I will try the Koko boost.

I have already a Boss GE-7, MIJ. But this EQ add some noise, and I prefer search an anothert solution :)

I really like the "purrrrr" of the Barber directdrive and LTD or LG direct drive; for fattening up chimey single-coils the lovepedal Kanji Eternity is great. The strange hype nonwithstanding, the new klon ktr is also sweet and you can switch the buffer.

At the end of the day, all Diezels typically work great with pedals so you get a lot of the pedal's character, so just pick whichever sounds best to you and your Diezel will make it rock even more!

I haven't found the need to boost a Diezel VH4. Of course the Herbert has the 2nd master for those duties. But, on the VH4, before you try and find something that sounds good up front, try boosting the signal in the parallel loop for solo's with an EQ pedal or in your Multi-FX unit. If you got to have something in front of the amp, a CAE booster or MXR Micro boost should do the trick without altering the tone or generating noise.

Thread drift.....
Why do people say "mids" when referring to the mid range frequencies? You don't say "trebs" or "basses".

Hagen, VH4 and VH4S... Tried pedals, and found them redundant.

The above mentioned BB Pre was the only thing I liked, and interestingly enough, it's with the VH4's Ch.2 and the Hagen's Ch.4 - but for the most part, just learned to work the master/channel volume and found the tone was purrrrrrrrrrrrrfect without any stomp.

All I use is a touch of delay and 'verb in the loop - that's it. Keeley compressor (2 button) for the cleans to taste.

Uncle Mo

I run a TS9 in front of my VH4 pretty much all the time unless i'm playing cleans. Ch2 sounds great with an overdrive pedal.

I use a BYOC OD2, sounds great with Ch.2 or as a boost on 3. I used to use a Fulldrive 2 which also sounded great!

Some good friends lent me some greats pedals in order to make some tests !
A Xotic AC Booster
A Suhr Riot
A Surh Shiba Drive

I would try a Kokoboost, but I haven't foud it... :thumbsdown:
As a clean boost AND a mids boost, I think that's the solution :thumbsup:

What Steve K said - run an EQ in the loop! I tried several boosts, including the Koko Boost, and really found what I was looking for in the Empress ParaEQ. I've got one that I run with a Herbert. Works great and may well cure amp flipping :yes:

Salut slivoid :)

J'ai un VH4S. Pour booster mes solos, j'utilisais au départ une équal MXR 6 EQ, c'était pas top, ça me bouffait certaines fréquences.
J'ai alors acheté une XOTIC EP BOOSTER. Sur la boucle série du VH4S, ça fonctionne super bien et ça sonne grave. Par contre moi j'utilise la boucle parrallèle qui est pilotable midi... Et il y a un problème de phase! Le son est merdique du coup.
J'ai acheté une MXR boost/line driver, et ça fonctionne super bien dans la boucle parrallele. Le son est vraiment bon. La pédale ne dénature pas le son.
Sinon comme évoqué plus haut, tu peux utiliser le canal 3 en rythmique et le 4 en solo... Perso j'ai essayé et le canal 3 manque un peu d'assise dans les basses et de compression.

To boost my solos with my VH4S, i used a MXR 6EQ in the parrallele loop but the sound was not very good. Some frequences was cut... Then i try a XOTIC EP booster. Wired on a serial loop, the sound is very great. But i use the parrallele loop which is switchable with midi controler... and wired on the parrallele loop, the booster is out of phase! So the sound wasn't boosted.
I've bought a MXR boost line driver, and that's very cool. The sound is natural.

Pirre81":3sswn2tc said:
I use Xotic BB Preamp sometimes.

I know I just necro'd your post, but I was wondering what kind of settings you found optimal on your Xotic BB preamp for your VH4?

Sometimes cutting back bass/deep and introducing more mids/presence helps perceive the sound as more 'clear' and middy.
Also what cab are you using?

Sorry to bump and old thread but did not want to start a new one and bug ya :D

I love fiddling around with different tones and have been wanting a clean boost or an OD pedal for the font to get a second main rhythm channel. Channel 3 on the VH4 is just godly to me and sounds perfect. When I max out the gain on channel 2 I get close to a "new" rhythm chug chug tone but just needs to go to "11". lol

I did find something interesting though.

I picked up an MXR 193 GT-OD Overdrive pedal. I am still fiddling with it on channel 2 and getting some interesting results. But where it really helped me out was on channel 3 strangely. I play all ESP guitars (mostly custom shop Explorers) with EMG 60/81 combo's. I just got this gorgeous Aged Les Paul 60's Custom shop with amazing pickups...but I then have to re dial in my tones somewhat as the passives sound a bit different compared to the EMG's. Not that much though. Mainly in the gain and low end bottom.

What I found with switching to the Les Paul on channel 3 for rhythm chug chug is that, I would instantly have to turn up the gain (I keep the gain on channel 3 for EMG's at about 11 O'clock), and then I would get some bass flub flub rather than chug chug :LOL: :LOL:

So with the GT-OD set just right... I keep ALL the EMG settings on channel 3 the way they are...but when I kick on the OD pedal, it then makes the Les Paul sounds just like my ESP Explorers. Go figure. But I am still experimenting with channel 2 and have not dialed everything in my liking.

So it's 2019.... anyone currently running boosts or OD pedals with their VH4's? Everyone is really raving about the Horizon Devices Precision Drive Pedal or their Apex Pre-Amp pedal

Thanks!

0JpIpZj.jpg

YrfBQzm.jpg

Back