My 2007 Vh4 sounds really dark

kevinbackroom":3rgbtdfg said:
Here's a clip. First is the 2008 second is my 2007. All settings at noon, channel 3.

https://clyp.it/cq55ojny

There is nothing wrong with your amp. Turn the blippity blipping treble and presence up. Those two clips sound IDENTICAL, outside of the amount of treble and presence incorporated in the sound. Early VH4's are darker, yours is right at that cut off point of where there were changes made. Guess what, my VH4 is a 2001. Like to know my settings? Presence at 5:00 (basically dimed) and treble on CH3 at 3:00. And.... I run a boost in front, so that helps a bit more on bringing out upper frequencies.

You have 4 options.

1. Turn up presence and treble.
2. If #1 didn't do it, do the presence "mod" "fix" "solution" "hi pitched thingy maker"
3. If 1 or 2 didn't work, send the amp to Germany.
4. If 1,2,3 didn't work, sell it and convince friend to sell you his 08 VH4.

Lastly, please make another clip for us. Except, turn your settings to what I run mine at listed above, and again compare it to the other VH4 with the same noon settings. Thanks.

RJF":15fnywia said:
kevinbackroom":15fnywia said:
Here's a clip. First is the 2008 second is my 2007. All settings at noon, channel 3.

https://clyp.it/cq55ojny

There is nothing wrong with your amp. Turn the blippity blipping treble and presence up. Those two clips sound IDENTICAL, outside of the amount of treble and presence incorporated in the sound. Early VH4's are darker, yours is right at that cut off point of where there were changes made. Guess what, my VH4 is a 2001. Like to know my settings? Presence at 5:00 (basically dimed) and treble on CH3 at 3:00. And.... I run a boost in front, so that helps a bit more on bringing out upper frequencies.

You have 4 options.

1. Turn up presence and treble.
2. If #1 didn't do it, do the presence "mod" "fix" "solution" "hi pitched thingy maker"
3. If 1 or 2 didn't work, send the amp to Germany.
4. If 1,2,3 didn't work, sell it and convince friend to sell you his 08 VH4.

Lastly, please make another clip for us. Except, turn your settings to what I run mine at listed above, and again compare it to the other VH4 with the same noon settings. Thanks.

I have the same issue with mine and it is the same era! I’m super frustrated cause it’s supposed to sound god-like and I really want to get rid of it. Did you ever figure out the culprit? Tubes? Caps? Resisters? Presence mod?? Please help

Okay...

First up, we can all chill a bit.

Secondly, over the years of my experience with VH4 amps, there's really been about 3 distinct voicings - whether intended or not (they were intended I am sure) - that gave things like lower gain/more grind/deeper presence (Blueface), to the more gained out "normalized" mids (relatively speaking) 2000s to 2007/8'ish, and then the tighter/brighter/-just-as-much-gain current iteration. AND there have been variations in those amps throughout as well.

Then there were the home-mods.
Then there were the Kruse mods.
Then there were the shouldn't-have-done-that mods.

When buying used - I've been asked a lot about Diezels in the used market. I always tell the buyer (if there's something "not quite right"), pull the chassis, flip it over, and SMELL it. Smelling it can detect funky/bad components, bad solder jobs (mods), or circuitry issues. And of course, look for oddities. Diezels boards are spotless - tight - impeccably soldered - and without err. Anything that DOESN'T look like that is likely a problematic culprit.

And last thing? Some of the earlier, or rather, "darker" models really shine when the volume's cranked and things are sizzling. Some people prefer this because of these dynamics and a nod to Fletcher-Munson. Others have newer models that never go past Madison Square Bedroom and they sound great - but that same amp cranked may come across with "treble termites" to some, and hence, the master presence or the proclivity to like the earlier "darker" models.

Used market is usually very good - I'm not dissuading anyone from going out there and getting some Diezel love. But buy from a reputable seller, and buy with exact descriptions and even a refund contingency plan (this goes for any big ticket purchase) in place "just in case".

Good luck, and this will all work out :salute: :2thumbsup:

Unkle Mo

Hey guys, i know it’s an older thing but…
Anyhow, i guess i have a similar thing going on. Im not sure if im correct, but by the serial number (060687) my vh4 is from around 2006? Long story short, same experience, like there was a blanket thrown over the speakers, channel 2 could use a tiny bit more gain, etc. but never really bothered by these as earlier i had an attenuator with presence compensation and i use a booster in front of the amp. Recently i had to admit that even tho i love the amp, a brighter, probably a bit more modern voicing would be very useful for me for recording purposes, then when i was watching the "Diezel VH4 and Diezel Amp Basics" video on youtube, on channel 1, i was like "damn it sounds way better than my one". Then on channel 2 the same reaction, i started to think about what's the trick? The mics? The settings? Then on Channel 3 and 4 i thought "damn, thats exactly what i need..." on all channels. If im not mistaken, the amp in the video is a newer revision than mine. Whatever is that one, my one's voicing is pretty far from that at the moment. I don't know what would be the simplest solution, but to be honest, all 4 channels could use a little facelift, all 4 channels sounds better to me on that newer revision. Is it possible to convert this older model to be exactly the same as a newer model? After so many years i have found a reliable tech (who speaks Chinese only) and im sure he would be able to perform the mod/revision with proper instructions. He recently have changed caps and a few resistors in the amp cuz it was constantly blowing tubes. He did a good and clean job.

Hey guys, i know it’s an older thing but…
Anyhow, i guess i have a similar thing going on. Im not sure if im correct, but by the serial number (060687) my vh4 is from around 2006? Long story short, same experience, like there was a blanket thrown over the speakers, channel 2 could use a tiny bit more gain, etc. but never really bothered by these as earlier i had an attenuator with presence compensation and i use a booster in front of the amp. Recently i had to admit that even tho i love the amp, a brighter, probably a bit more modern voicing would be very useful for me for recording purposes, then when i was watching the "Diezel VH4 and Diezel Amp Basics" video on youtube, on channel 1, i was like "damn it sounds way better than my one". Then on channel 2 the same reaction, i started to think about what's the trick? The mics? The settings? Then on Channel 3 and 4 i thought "damn, thats exactly what i need..." on all channels. If im not mistaken, the amp in the video is a newer revision than mine. Whatever is that one, my one's voicing is pretty far from that at the moment. I don't know what would be the simplest solution, but to be honest, all 4 channels could use a little facelift, all 4 channels sounds better to me on that newer revision. Is it possible to convert this older model to be exactly the same as a newer model? After so many years i have found a reliable tech (who speaks Chinese only) and im sure he would be able to perform the mod/revision with proper instructions. He recently have changed caps and a few resistors in the amp cuz it was constantly blowing tubes. He did a good and clean job.

Check the service manual:
https://www.diezelamplification.com/manuals/service/service-manual_V1-1.pdf
Page 50 - Less compression and more presence for earlier VH4.

Also page 34 is of note too.

Check the service manual:
https://www.diezelamplification.com/manuals/service/service-manual_V1-1.pdf
Page 50 - Less compression and more presence for earlier VH4.

Also page 34 is of note too.
I have checked the manual, then i have received an answer from Peter Diezel. His instructions a bit different to the ones in the manual. He suggests to cut out the resistor as it is, dont replace it with anything else. And replace the presence cap with a 0.22uF 63VDC one. Im sure he knows what he is saying and there is noone who knows these amps as well as he does. I think its just better to listen to him in these questions, at the same time im trying to learn. Is the difference between replacing the resistor and just simply cutting it out without replacing it huge?

I have checked the manual, then i have received an answer from Peter Diezel. His instructions a bit different to the ones in the manual. He suggests to cut out the resistor as it is, dont replace it with anything else. And replace the presence cap with a 0.22uF 63VDC one. Im sure he knows what he is saying and there is noone who knows these amps as well as he does. I think its just better to listen to him in these questions, at the same time im trying to learn. Is the difference between replacing the resistor and just simply cutting it out without replacing it huge?
I have no idea tbh. If Papa told you something, just do that. Be careful if you do it yourself - don't touch the capacitors!

My Vh4 sounded dark because I was using my wizard all the time . After dialing Vh4 boosting with ts9 it sounds perfect . Then I go back to wizard and gets darker. This can happen with different amps being used

Back