My 2007 Vh4 sounds really dark

kevinbackroom

Hey guys,
I'm new here and looking for some help. I got a used vh4 because I've wanted one for years and was super let down when I got it. I have to max the treble and pres and turn down the bass and depth to even get a remotely workable sound.

I assumed this was just the amp voicing until a client brought in their 2008 vh4 for a retube and bias and I compared the two side by side, same settings, same cab. His sounded amazing, mine like it had a blanket over it.

I set up a mic on the cab, tracked a quick riff with the two, and did a delta of the output spectrum which I'll post below. The differences are very clear, as if theirs some weird crossover on my amp. This is with all new tubes that I biased. I also tried el34s instead of the 6l6s, no dice.

Long story short, I was in contact with Peter about it and he was very responsive. He told me to take pics of the inside and I did, but just kept suggesting that I do the presence mod, as if that would fix my issue. No matter how many times I tried to imply that the amp isn't right, he just kept saying that. So......it's either I sell it and be done with diezel for a while or I get some pretty good insight on what is wrong. The amp functions perfectly, just sounds terrible. Helllllllpppppppp

9jd2s6.png

kevinbackroom":7kb0kwwg said:
Long story short, I was in contact with Peter about it and he was very responsive. He told me to take pics of the inside and I did, but just kept suggesting that I do the presence mod, as if that would fix my issue. No matter how many times I tried to imply that the amp isn't right, he just kept saying that.

Without trying to be a dick - why would you not do the mod if that is what Peter is telling you the amp needs? And if that does not fix things take it from there with a good tech talking to Peter?

07 was a transitional year maybe the factory revision was not in place on your amp. Early vh4 were indeed darker. What he is talking about is the revision not a "mod".

Also... I don't know if I'm just bitter today or maybe I need a reach around but friggin hell dude Peter is trying to HELP YOU THE BEST HE CAN FROM FRIGGIN GERMANY AND WHAT YOU HAVE TOLD HIM!... On a used amp no less!?!?! Douche move getting pissed about it. He is trying to help you with a cheap mod that honestly wouldn't hurt to try if you can solder and save you money from shipping it to where ever to get looked at. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT HIM TO DO? Give you a new amp for a used one with no history... Pay out of his pocket because you took a risk? I'm not normally a forum warrior but damn that irritates me.

Dude, you need to relax. I never said I was pissed at anyone, I'm just trying to see if anyone has any info on it. If you could read, I actually said that Peter was very responsive, but it's difficult to communicate in different time zones. so either be helpful, or shut up and stop trying to start drama.

He suggested a presence mod, it's a mod. Not a fix. Swapping out one resistor isn't what I need.

kevinbackroom":1njqf5rz said:
Dude, you need to relax. I never said I was pissed at anyone, I'm just trying to see if anyone has any info on it. If you could read, I actually said that Peter was very responsive, but it's difficult to communicate in different time zones. so either be helpful, or shut up and stop trying to start drama.

He suggested a presence mod, it's a mod. Not a fix. Swapping out one resistor isn't what I need.

It could be the "fix" and not a "mod" if tried it.......either way it is a start if you have already revalved the amp with Diezel recommended pres and powers.

Mr Diezel has continually evolved the VH4 platform to be online with the current trends and taste pallet of the guitarist. With that said this mod is one way the voicing has evolved. This may not be your fix but it should be easy enough to change on resistor to try it.

Or as you said you may need to sell your VH4 because it is going to be hard to find someone with more insight into a Diezel than the man who designed and builds them.

Posting up on a public forum after talking to the amp designer which has been working with you is a form of bitching because you obviously hope someone else knows the amp better and the designer doesn't know what the hell he is talking about because you obviously know the amp is busted because it sounds different. All anyone else would do is pretty much the same thing "try this or try that, without having the amp in front of me it's the best I can do" He can't troubleshoot if you don't try what he asks first then go from there.

I understand, you guys arent really getting it though. It's not like the amp could use a little more top end. It has none. I can upload the audio so you can hear the two side by side if you want. I gave all the info to Peter and instead of saying something could be wrong just suggested I do a common mod that is in the manual. It's not a slight boost in presence thats needed. The whole spectrum of the amp is totally messed up.

kevinbackroom":npbsq02b said:
I understand, you guys arent really getting it though. It's not like the amp could use a little more top end. It has none. I can upload the audio so you can hear the two side by side if you want. I gave all the info to Peter and instead of saying something could be wrong just suggested I do a common mod that is in the manual. It's not a slight boost in presence thats needed. The whole spectrum of the amp is totally messed up.

Dude it is a used amp! Are you trolling here? The amp's manufacturer actually took the time to try to help you by answering you and proposing a solution and you're still bitching? It has no top end = then there's something wrong with it right? Take it to a tech and fix it! Wtf??

Unfortunately theres no tech in my area that could work on this that I'm aware of. I'd honestly only trust that with Peter. You don't bring a Ferrari to a Ford dealership. Sending it to Germany is just not in the cards either. I appreciate the Peter took the time to reply to the post but no one has been helpful in this forum. This isn't trolling, I'm asking for some info. If you dont have any, don't create drama.

Yep that's normal
Your 07 will sound like the 08 with the presence cap change.

Second one sounded better to me imo though
Sounds more like my Blueface

I took another listen
I like the 2007 better and since all the knobs are at noon you've got a bunch of room to mix

That's not normal but there are about 200 thing that could cause it. If you're positive that the tubes are good and the same type as the amp that sounds good I would take the chassis of the head out and poke around with a chopstick to see if you get pops or noises when tapping solder joints when the amp is on. Keep one hand behind your back the voltages are dangerous obviously. If you get a weird noise and are ok with your solder skills then reflow the joint that made the noise and see if it goes away. Other then ping ponging peter back and forth and trying what he says... Just take it to a tech.

Back