EL34 vs KT77 ?

Crunchtime

I am considering purchasing a quad of EL34 to try in my D-Moll.

I am looking for a sharper attack and more aggressive mid character. Sometimes I feel things are a bit too smooth.

Would EL34 tubes do this for me?

Can they handle the D-Moll plate voltage? 480 as I recall from last bias.

Looking for any input or suggestions.

Thank you.

You might like them. I almost always prefer EL34s. But if nothing else its a perfect opportunity for you to test them side by side in the same amp. Hearing it for yourself is worth a bazillion words. I'd give em a try.

Sorry for bumping the old thread, did you do it? I've been thinking about it aswell since my dmoll will need new tubes sooner or later anyway. :)

EL34 do have more present, upfront, and aggressive mids vs KT77s... but you loose some of the big ballsy bottom chunk from the KT77s. Is it worth it? Try em and decide.

I preferred the KT77 in my VH4. I think they're a lot warmer than the EL34. I found the EL34 a bit harsh by comparison.

I like the EL34 too but it´s hard to find a reliable version.
Best in my opinion is the EL34 "Winged C" but it´s
very expensive and I don´t know if the stopped production.
For me, I´m very happy with the KT77-JJ. A good sounding
and reliable tube. Get only one bad out of 500.

I love EL34 winged C to.

I had so many issues with el34 tubes, I had to try the KT77.

At first i hated it, i was comparing it to the EL34. I thought why not approach it in a different manner, what are the thumps up. I played with it some more and loved them.

The KT77 thumps up:
- more lively sound
- full and thick
- more top end freq.
- more clarity and defenition in clean and high gain
- modern in a good way
- reliability

Now i have a good set of EL34's but have the KT77 running in the amp. I prefer them now.

**I am looking for a sharper attack and more aggressive mid character. Sometimes I feel things are a bit too smooth***
The KT77 has a much better attack and is much more aggressive, the EL34 is much smoother. Yes you have a bit more mid freq, but its nothing you can change when adjusting the eq.

In the end, try it oud and see if you like it. Its always fun trying new things.

Bumping because I'm curious to try some EL34s in my Diezel Paul. Anyone running EL34s in their Paul?

Any suggestions about bias level for the Paul would be welcome as well.

littleguitars":31us7888 said:
Bumping because I'm curious to try some EL34s in my Diezel Paul. Anyone running EL34s in their Paul?

Any suggestions about bias level for the Paul would be welcome as well.

I’m fine with the KT-77 but curious about the EL-34 and the OP’s plate voltage question.

Hi,

Last year i swapped tubes, 2 days ago i noticed air movement trough the speakers so ill be swapping again. TBH im gonna get a set KT77 again.

This is my post after changing last year:
Ok so while I was waiting for tube replacements I had 4 El34 and 2 kt77 running. IT sounded Ok but I thought id give the sixtet kt77 a change again. My head was stil out of the casing so why not.

Biased 3 pairs between 70 and 71.

My tone was amazing!
How could this be?
Well, I had a tube change and new strings so my sound was quite sterrile before and just amazing now.

Its been a week almost so here are my findings:
Clean is really clean and has more sparckle
Ch2 is punchy, raw, open and mean.
Ch3 is more open and singing

To get my tone how I liked the El34 i only had to lower the pressence just a bit, instead of 13:00 Its now on 11:00

Overall the difference with the El34:
Less compression so I have a more open tone
Better note clarity when playing single lines or riffing
Tighter bottom end in a really good way, Less boomy
A tad lesser mid focused sound.

While im waiting on my El34's to arrive again I Dont think ill be putting them in now

Maybe my bias was also a bit off before, who knows but right now I can say the kt77 improved my herbert. Im also using a bit more gain on the Chanels but the clarity is amazing and these tubes have a wicked grind to them.

I stil had the El34 sound in my head and the moment i changed them again, simply put Its like I removed a blanket from the speakers. I always wanted a bit Less compression and this did the trick.

If you love your El34 but have kt77 tubes please give them a try. Lowering the pressence did wonders for me.
And im starting to prefer them much more then the El34 BHT.

Back