Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Oct 16, 2018 2:45pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 1:44pm 
Hack

Are you human?: 951
Ok I’m going to be patient about this and explain what I’m experiencing with the hopes that maybe I’m overlooking something:

Here is the signal chain:

ESP Horizon III with SD Nazgul/sentient pickups
Horizon devices precision drive boost
Diezel
Mesa stiletto 4x12 w V30s

Ok, I just spent close to an hour tweaking the knobs on the amp. The clean channel is quite good no issues there. But ch2 and ch3 aren’t even remotely tight even with the boost engaged.

I tried sweeping the gain lower and higher, engaging and disengaging the mid cut and started the EQ at all 6s as a starting point and tried a wide range of tweaks. I put the deep at 0 even.

What I’m hearing is a very fuzzy, loose high gain sound and palm mutes aren’t tracking fast at all for the most part.

The amp isn’t exhibiting any preamp tube failure noises so to speak so I’m not sure it’s a crappy preamp tube.

Any of you guys who have or had the D-Moll, please chime in with your advice. I’ve got 30 days to like this or exchange it for something else but I want to like it! Lol.

Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 2:11pm 
Rock God

I also found dmoll too fuzzy and loose on channel 3. I like channel 2 but preferred other diezels to dmoll.

First diezel?

What boost? The amp has no boost.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

Here long before it sucked.

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 2:29pm 
Hack

Yea it’s my first diezel. I was going back and forth between this and the Bogner twin jet. I have no way of trying either amp in person before I buy it so I took a chance!

The boost I’m referring to is my precision drive pedal.

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 3:47pm 
Plank Cranker

Yup, I got a Herbert mkII for that reason.
I had (2) twin jets originally. Wanted to try a Diezel, got a good deal on dmoll. I found some great boosted tones with a Fortin Grind with the dmoll FYI.
Then I got a Butterslax and sold the Bogners.
Then I got to a/b my dmoll with a new Herbert mkII. Went home with the Herbert that day, traded in the dmoll for what I paid. But honestly, Herbert is prob what you want out of a Diezel. It’s mind blowing.
You will hear it from many, Herbert is the king of metal.

Also, Mesa v30’s and Mesa cabs are darker.
I usually stick with matching cabs. The Diezel cabs are in a world of their own. Front loaded and Diezel go hand in hand.

CABS: Friedman 412:15 / Diezel 412-FL-V30 / Avatar Custom 412-FL-K100
LEFTY AXES: Mayones / ESP / Bunkman / Fender / Ovation USA

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 4:28pm 
Journeyman NOOB

hmmm... honestly I couldn't describe the D-Moll as fuzzy... I have one, and yes it's not quite as tight as the VH4 or Hagen... but it's definitely not fuzzy. Orange's are fuzzy... the D-Moll is not.

What tuning are you playing in? How high are your pickups?

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 4:52pm 
Hack

I ran both of my guitars through it and the results only changed slightly.

The ESP is in drop C and my other guitar, a JP15 7 string is in standard tuning.

If I exchange this amp it’s more than likely going to be for a Bogner twinjet, but once again, I’ve never played one and I don’t know if I will definitely like that one either.

The Herbert and butterslax are a few hundred dollars beyond my threshold for a purchase so it’s not gonna happen.

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 5:12pm 
Journeyman NOOB

If you're not happy I say take it back and get your money back if you can, and save up a bit more and get a VH4 or Hagen. If not those, then a Peavey 5150 and a tubescreamer, or maybe their new Invective amp.

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 06, 2018 5:35pm 
Supah Stah

Agreed, a Fortin Grind into DMoll is awesome. I also use an 808x. My MXR cbaod also sounds good too, so I'm not sure why the precision wouldn't do something similar when set as a clean boost to tighten things up.

Try something like this on ch2/3(in oclocks):
Gain 11
Treble 1-3
Mid 3- max
Bass 12
Presence 10-11
Depth 11

Mid Cut Intensity 9 or OFF

DMoll does have some fuzz, but if you have JJ77s in there, an OD clean boost, something in the ballpark of the settings above, and you're playing at a decent volume, that should be TIGHT for most stuff- I play down to drop G at times and it's wonderfully certainly tight but full at dropC. If not tight enough, it's either malfunctioning (tubes?) or you may need a Fortin amp of some sort....or Fortin Grind. That Grind turns anything into a TIGHT machine

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 07, 2018 3:57am 
Diezel Amplification

Fitrocker33 wrote:
Ok I’m going to be patient about this and explain what I’m experiencing with the hopes that maybe I’m overlooking something:

Here is the signal chain:

ESP Horizon III with SD Nazgul/sentient pickups
Horizon devices precision drive boost
Diezel
Mesa stiletto 4x12 w V30s

Ok, I just spent close to an hour tweaking the knobs on the amp. The clean channel is quite good no issues there. But ch2 and ch3 aren’t even remotely tight even with the boost engaged.

I tried sweeping the gain lower and higher, engaging and disengaging the mid cut and started the EQ at all 6s as a starting point and tried a wide range of tweaks. I put the deep at 0 even.

What I’m hearing is a very fuzzy, loose high gain sound and palm mutes aren’t tracking fast at all for the most part.

The amp isn’t exhibiting any preamp tube failure noises so to speak so I’m not sure it’s a crappy preamp tube.

Any of you guys who have or had the D-Moll, please chime in with your advice. I’ve got 30 days to like this or exchange it for something else but I want to like it! Lol.

Thank you in advance

What is the serial number of the amp ?
Thanks,
Peter

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 07, 2018 9:15am 
Hack

Hello from across the pond Mr. Diezel!

The serial number of my amp is 008/437

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 08, 2018 8:54am 
Diezel Amplification

It´s 006/437 ?

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 08, 2018 9:55am 
Hack

Yes sorry it was mislabeled on the box, it is 006

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09, 2018 1:05pm 
Diezel Amplification

Sorry but there is no reason the amp should not be tight or fizzy sounding.

What tube is in V1 ? 12AX7B or CV4004 ?

Where are you located ?

Thanks,
Peter

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09, 2018 8:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

With the Precision Drive it should be pretty tight?

Maybe time to try a VH4 or Herbert?

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09, 2018 8:43pm 
Hack

Already returned it. I simply could not find a single setting I felt sounded good (to me) at all even with a boost pedal.

I can’t afford to hold onto a 3000 dollar amp if I don’t like it from day one. Unfortunately the Herbert and VH4 are well out of my price range ( and credit limit! Lmao)

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 09, 2018 8:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Fitrocker33 wrote:
Already returned it. I simply could not find a single setting I felt sounded good (to me) at all even with a boost pedal.

I can’t afford to hold onto a 3000 dollar amp if I don’t like it from day one. Unfortunately the Herbert and VH4 are well out of my price range ( and credit limit! Lmao)

I'd advise at looking at something like an Engl Powerball 2. Might be better price wise, and will have an infinitely tighter low end.

I'm a die-hard lifetime Diezel fan... but they are not for everyone in every situation.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 10, 2018 5:07am 
Journeyman NOOB

Fitrocker33 wrote:

It might've had tube issues. I have no problem getting a nice tight tone from any of the Diezel amps, even without a boost.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 10, 2018 8:01am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I think a retube would have helped.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 10, 2018 9:56am 
Hack

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Fitrocker33 wrote:

I'd advise at looking at something like an Engl Powerball 2. Might be better price wise, and will have an infinitely tighter low end.

I'm a die-hard lifetime Diezel fan... but they are not for everyone in every situation.

I actually had a Powerball 2 that I loved. Traded it towards a Kemper PowerRack almost a year ago and then decided I wanted back into the tube amp game.

Picked up a 5150III yesterday to satisfy that sweet tooth while I save some more. Going to research either a Friedman runt 50 or a Bogner shiva 20th anniv. For some Marshall like tones.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 10, 2018 10:15am 
Supah Stah

dag, my DMoll gets tight tight tight with a clean OD boost. I'm guessing something was wrong and I blame GC, lol. Good luck on your gear quest

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 10, 2018 6:37pm 
Hack

crankyrayhanky wrote:
dag, my DMoll gets tight tight tight with a clean OD boost. I'm guessing something was wrong and I blame GC, lol. Good luck on your gear quest

Got it through Sweetwater. Gonna be honest I was a little miffed that not only was it a 2016 model (so it’s been sitting on the shelf for almost 2 years??) but it also had a layer of dust on the top of the chassis. Now why would there be a layer of dust on a chassis of an amp listed as factory new and NOT a demo model?

Strike one Sweetwater...

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 10, 2018 6:49pm 
Rock God

Fitrocker33 wrote:
crankyrayhanky wrote:

Got it through Sweetwater. Gonna be honest I was a little miffed that not only was it a 2016 model (so it’s been sitting on the shelf for almost 2 years??) but it also had a layer of dust on the top of the chassis. Now why would there be a layer of dust on a chassis of an amp listed as factory new and NOT a demo model?

Strike one Sweetwater...

Dude sweetwater just got Diezel recently, blame “Boutique Amps Distro” the USA distributor if anyone.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

Here long before it sucked.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 15, 2018 8:30am 
Immortal Rock God

Different strokes. The D-moll is my favorite Diezel. No boost required.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 25, 2018 10:19pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I love my D-Moll and also would not describe as Fuzzy at all.
Here's the settings I run, maybe that can help you???

Hard to see the Masters but they're at 8:30 and 9:30

Attachments:
IMG_20130913_235321_686.jpg
IMG_20130913_235321_686.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 1895 times ]

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 28, 2018 7:11am 
Journeyman NOOB

Please excuse me if this was already mentioned, but what amp did you previously play? I got a VH4 but didn't really play it all that much due to volume issues in my apartment, but I definitely noticed it sounded good. A few months later, I started getting more and more obsessed with guitar gear, especially during my winter break for the holidays when I went back home and just had three weeks of just pure guitar practice.

I ended up buying an EVH 5150 iii combo to keep at my parents house for when I visit for holidays, and loved it. The 5150 iii is actually a really nice amp, especially for the price. When I returned back to where I go to school, I played my VH4 and actually had a hard time enjoying the tone, I started having doubts (7th circle of hell for me...right, and started actually preferring my axe FX 2 tone.

However, I gave it time and really sat there, just dialing in frequencies, getting a feel for the amp, and then purchased an EWS subtle volume control attenuator (great attenuator by the way) to put in my effects loop, and cranked my MV to 11-12. Slowly but surely, the more I went back to my Axe FX, the more I just, felt that I preferred the VH4 more. Your MV is at 9:30, but crank it to 12, it makes a huge difference. Get a volume attenuator if needed.

I know have a high regard to my VH4 now that i'm adjusted to the pure tube amp sound compared to an Axe FX 2.

I thought my VH4 was too loose and I also had the palm muting issues, but that was because my technique had to be dead on. If you palm mute too hard, then you're going to mute the strings...makes sense. Also, try using a boost pedal like a TS808 to tighten things up and get a different flavor for the amp. You have a great and powerful amp as a foundation, and it's just a matter of getting used to.

Also, KT77's are highly recommended, What are your tubes biased at?

Finally, try G12-K100 speakers, I hear they're more tighter on the low end and less fizz on top, which you might be perceiving as loose.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 28, 2018 9:26am 
Hack

Hey guys I appreciate all your input and I’m sorry if I didn’t say this earlier but I returned the amp about 3 weeks Ago. For whatever reason, no matter what I tried I couldn’t get a single tone I would have been happy with and I can’t afford to pay off 3000 bucks for something I don’t like at least a little bit at first.

The amps build quality was definitely some of the best I’ve ever handled tho. Top shelf feel for sure.