Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Oct 16, 2018 2:45pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Herbert mkii "tightness"
PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 7:54am 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
Hey guys,

I've been digging my VH4. However, the one bad thing about it is it makes me wonder how that Diezel magic would sound with a more darker, less mid focused type of sound. In that regard, i've been seriously GAS'ing for a Herbert mkii.

My question is: I've been doing a lot of research and one consistent thing i've read is that the Herbert is "loose". The thing is, I love tighter, more percussive tones. However, I wasn't sure if the looseness issue was referring to the mkI or mkII. Does anyone know if the mkII is more tighter?

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 8:15am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I had an MKI and I needed to hit the front with a TS9. It was not near tight enough for my taste on its own. Not sure about the MKII

Good transactions with: Tuckerbomb>>>krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>Mailman1971>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 8:22am 
Journeyman NOOB

MetalHeadMike wrote:
I had an MKI and I needed to hit the front with a TS9. It was not near tight enough for my taste on its own. Not sure about the MKII

Thanks for the input. I guess that leaves the possibility that the reviews of the Herbert being too loose could indeed have been about the mkii. Hopefully the mkii is more tighter. I like a more tighter percussive tone.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 10:36am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Don't get me wrong, the MKi is an amazing amp. I miss it often actually, but I tend to boost damn near everything. Just gets me the attack/tightness I'm after. I've had and still have a few amps that most guys feel no boost is required and that these amps are perfectly tight enough on their own, but for my tastes and style the boost is essential.

The only amp I've owned (Still own) that I can plug straight into and get the attack/and tightness I'm after is the Savage 120. I will throw out this though and say that most of the time I'm not playing at ear splitting volumes and that definitely effects things considerably in terms of how tight the amp feels/sounds. Most the amps I own (owned) would tighten up considerably once cranked up LOUD to the point that I could get pretty close to what I like straight in, but there's the whole hearing loss thing ;)

Some guys frown on having to put an OD pedal in front of a high dollar amp, but I like that option.

Good transactions with: Tuckerbomb>>>krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>Mailman1971>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 10:47am 
Journeyman NOOB

MetalHeadMike wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the MKi is an amazing amp. I miss it often actually, but I tend to boost damn near everything. Just gets me the attack/tightness I'm after. I've had and still have a few amps that most guys feel no boost is required and that these amps are perfectly tight enough on their own, but for my tastes and style the boost is essential.

The only amp I've owned (Still own) that I can plug straight into and get the attack/and tightness I'm after is the Savage 120. I will throw out this though and say that most of the time I'm not playing at ear splitting volumes and that definitely effects things considerably in terms of how tight the amp feels/sounds. Most the amps I own (owned) would tighten up considerably once cranked up LOUD to the point that I could get pretty close to what I like straight in, but there's the whole hearing loss thing ;)

Some guys frown on having to put an OD pedal in front of a high dollar amp, but I like that option.

Nah, I totally get you. I like using a TS808 in my VH4 for channel 3 to give it more bite because it's mids are very lush.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 12:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The Herbert is not a loose amp imhe... regardless of MKI or MKII.

I've got the MKII version now and used to own the MKI. The MKII is a bit tighter, but it is not a night and day difference. The MKII has larger OT/PT transformers... so yes there is a difference.

Comparatively speaking, the Herbert falls somewhere in the middle between say an Engl SE/Savage being the tightest.... to a Mesa MW Triple being the least tight. It's is not a Mesa Mark series by any stretch. But it is not like a Recto that really absolutely needs a boost pedal out front.

I do also like a nice ts808 boost with my VH4, but find it's really not needed with my Herbert MKII fwiw.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13, 2018 4:45pm 
Hack

I will say that, as a new owner of a herbert, that I will agree. It's not really loose, but it isn't super tight either. I boost mine, but I boost all amps. If you have a tight sounding pickup and speaker/cab combo, it gets plenty tight. If your pickup or cab/speaker choices aren't super tight, it makes the amp's slight looseness more noticeable.

Splawn Quickrod
VHT Deliverance 60
EVH 5150 III 100
Ceriatone Chupacabra
Peavey Ultra +/XXX/JSX/5150/6505+

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 13, 2018 9:14pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Bad.Seed wrote:
I will say that, as a new owner of a herbert, that I will agree. It's not really loose, but it isn't super tight either. I boost mine, but I boost all amps. If you have a tight sounding pickup and speaker/cab combo, it gets plenty tight. If your pickup or cab/speaker choices aren't super tight, it makes the amp's slight looseness more noticeable.

I agree. I had to boost mine to tighten it to where I liked it. I don't think its near as tight as some of my other amps. To be fair though I was not opening that amp on the volume. I'd love to give the Herbert another go someday.

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 26, 2018 4:26am 
Hack

I have Herbert MK1, and I would say it tight.

I think it can be slightly loose if you want it, just to make it more fun to play, but no way it's flabby uncontrollable etc, you can easily play Metallica-kind of low E chunky riffs on Herbert.

I don't use any boosters, tubescreamers, Herbert sounds good on its own, in fact, for my ears, it sounds so good, that any booster actually taking something out of tone, I really became overdrive/booster pedal hater after having Herbert.