Noisy VH4, advice?

Omega1397

Hey guys,

I seem to get a lot of static idle noise from my VH4 that becomes more pronounced with the MV turned up. I uploaded a video. https://streamable.com/4qcpw

I'm using JJ KT77's with Ruby 12AX7 HG+ in V1 and V2, and the HG on the rest. I have my power going into a furman PL-PLUS DMC into a bank with nothing else running into the same bank, but I have other things plugged into other banks. I don't have the same issue with my Herbert, which runs into the same power setup (I use a single power cord to plug into either the VH4 or Herbert to avoid leaving one on without a speaker load on accident while using the other).

Any idea what's going on?

Bade preamp tubes would be my guess. Start swapping them out starting with V1 with a known good tube. You can also try tapping on the tube with a pencil with the amp turned on and standby off (ie ready to play) at some volume to see if the tube squeals... although sometime this method works, sometimes not.

Wizard of Ozz":34aafqli said:
Bade preamp tubes would be my guess. Start swapping them out starting with V1 with a known good tube. You can also try tapping on the tube with a pencil with the amp turned on and standby off (ie ready to play) at some volume to see if the tube squeals... although sometime this method works, sometimes not.

Thanks boss, you're always a great help. Once I decide to put the money for new tubes, i'll try tube swapping. I'll do the tube tapping thing and keep you updated.

Back