How do you DI-record your Herbert?

MrFlexx

I have a hard time recording the Herbert's channel 2 in "+" mode and channel 3. I can record a great blues tone on Ch.2 "-"mode and great Cleans on ch1. But that's about it. The ch2 on the ”-” gets some amazing rythm tones using my Les Paul…and some rather good blues lead tones…
I'm not new to recording using DI-boxes as I've got awesome results recording my Elmwood M90, Marshall JMP 2203, Mesa Mark V, Mesa Triple Rectifier Reborn, ENGL Retro Tube 100, ENGL Powerball II and the PRS Archer. All have great attack, string definition and warmth. I mainly using my Suhr Reactive Load but also use my Torpedo Reload occasionally. But the Reload is mainly used for Reamping. I’m using own IR’s, Two-Notes IR’s, Ownhammer IR’s and RedWirez IR’s depending on what sound I’m after and hat amp I’m using.
No matter how I try I can’t get the + side on ch.2 and the lead channel to sound good. The only thing I get right about these are the attack and string definition. But there’s no warmth and the gain is mega grainy and the tone just won’t hold together, just like a really bad metal distortion pedal. The only way I can get a fairly good tone is by using a BOSS SD-1 with a big downside…it flattens the tone and makes it none-dynamic…but the upside is that the gain is less grainy…
I know everything’s connected the right way…I’ve made hundreds of great recordings using other amps with the same DI’s, IR’s and sound interface.
Are you guys getting a smooth lead tone using DI-recording with the Herbert?

I had the same issue until I completely retubed the amp. made all the difference in the world. i use genelex gold lion 12ax7 preamp tubes and tube doctor el-34b in the power section. i used a radial direct box and reamped using the fredman technique of two 57's and get crushing rhythm tones and searing leads. hope this helps.

No disrespect or patronizing here Flexx, but in this man's humble opinion that's just crazy!

You've got one of THE MOST advanced guitar amplifiers in the entire world (there are 100+ different guitar amps to be found in Herbert) and designed by one, if not the most forward reaching futuristic guitar amplifier builder/designer in the world. You state that you want to circumvent and eliminate his mastery of this work of art bypassing all the wonderful analogue tones/timbre matched with his fine quality cabinetry through DI? Herbert’s DI is there for convenience, but if you want the full range and plethora of Herbert’s abilities then you must strive to master the art of the microphone and it’s many placement options and techniques.

Guitar Speaker Miking / Mic Placement - 5 Most Common Positions - Best Way to Mic Guitar Amps

Back