Hagen gots cracklin sound

redfulcrum

On a recent gig i was using my beloved Hagen and noticed towards the end of a 4 hour gig
she was making a crackling noise, not so noticeable at full volume and or driving hard
but when i backed my volume off on the guitar it was definitely there and notable.
What could it be ? tube maybe ? any suggestions and or cures. :doh:

I'm no tech, but I'd always start with the simple stuff: Try a different guitar>Instrument cable>Speaker cable>Power source>Preamp tubes>Power tubes.

Definitely sure its the amp, I am no tech either but i always check the small stuff first.
Sure it was the head because i switched out to my 50 w Einstein and all was golden. :confused:

Always check the preamp tubes first and try to replace the relevant for the channels. If that doesnt change anything check the power tubes. I had similar issues on my VH4s at some time and the crackling noise turned out to be a power tube. Quality of todays tubes is often really bad, so first thing to look after IMHO. Cool thing with a stereo amp like the VH4s is you can turn down the channels separately such that it is easy to spot whether it is the left or right pair of tubes. Won‘t work here. You could pull the inner or outer pair of power tubes to narrow down the problem to the pair. Then interchange and do the same again. Usually you would need to adjust the impedance to reflect the missing pair of tubes. Anyway, this is of relevance if you play loud and over an extended period in that mode. It takes just some seconds and bedroom volume to find out, so I wouldnt worry but if you want to be sure half the impedance the cabinet sees

Cheers

Back