"Wet" Amp recommendations

cvor

Hello. Currently have a VH4 and looking to have a Wet/Dry setup. Tried the whole line out box and WDW thing with a power amp but had some feedback issues I couldn't resolve. Anyway, looking to do wet/dry and not sure which direction to go in for the wet amp. I play mainly hard rock and also do ambient stuff (strymon pedals). I also just purchased a SwitchBlade 8F so should have plenty of routing flexibility with effects and amp routing.

1. thoughts on wet amp only being used when there are time based effects or if should be always on regardless? I'm leaning towards always on as I'd like to add some tonal variety to my overall sound. Curious to those that have W/D or W/D/W how they prefer this....

2. Recommendations on wet/complimentary amp? - considerations that complicate selection is that I tend to use Channels 1-3 on VH4. I could consider using 1 and 3 and using guitar volume knob to get less from channel 3 --- if there was a good 2 channel amp. Or I guess for times I really need Channel 2, I could have the channel volume higher and mute the other amp. Also, I don't think has to be 100w either - aside from this being a wet/complimentary amp, I am not playing out anymore and more for just me and periodic jams and occasional show.

Seems like alot of options and could use some insight..... although I don't want to break the bank, I'd be willing to (hope my wife isn't reading). I've don't want to repeat past mistakes and go through gear.

1. It should be on all the time
2. Honestly I’d recommend what you tried first, a separate power amp using the preamp signal from your VH4. good value?.. Mesa 50/50 or 20/20
Other than that you need another amp or Maybe try to find a VH4S ?

I only mess around with W/D/W at home.
Usually a Diezel as the dry and a Kemper D.I. output through a Mesa stereo power amp for the wet.
Sounds absolutely huge.

Interested in what people suggest for you. I'm also using my VH4 in a stereo kinda setup, but I'm using my Hagen as the wet poweramp... mostly because its under the vh4 and its convenient... yeah, I know its being criminally underused there at the moment, but I just needed a handy solution. Ideally I'd like a seperate stereo power amp to use so I can stop wasting good tubelife in the Hagen and actually use its preamp too.
I'm just using VH4 Send 2 into my Effects loop pedals, then one return goes into the Hagen loop return and the other into the VH4 return loop. running mostly stereo pedals in that loop so I can get the split and wide soundstage.
I'm thinking a decent/good solid-state stereo power amp should be what I'm after, but keen to see what others are finding successful.

Phil

Back