Buying New Herbert Mk3 or Used Mk1? Tighter, Worth It?

Pain

Hey Diezel Dudes and :cheers: to Peter, I'm a long time VH4 owner with a recording studio that has many amps and a band buddy with a Herbert Mk1 (we've recorded and compared to almost all the big time metal amps). I'm going to get a Herbert to use as my main amp in one of my other metal bands (been using an Engl Invader II). I already know the Herbert rules metal and that the new MK3 does midi now for the +/- etc but my main concerns are sonically....

What is the real and noticeable sonic difference if both amps were dialed in exactly the same?
The initial feedback I've heard is that it's tighter, is this true both in a real back to back comparison and maybe internally (Peter)?
Also when I do comparison recordings I do them in a very anal and controlled way, not something I played one or two years ago and then say an MK3 last week. So anyone with real, in the moment, back to backs like this that can comment?

I would happily buy a new MK3 if it's truly tighter etc and has the newer features to make playing it live more practical to get the recorded tone. But if it's not a real noticeable difference than an MK1 than I'll save the $1800 and get an EVH 3 with the saved money.

Thanks

Pain

Hey Diezel Dudes and :cheers: to Peter, I'm a long time VH4 owner with a recording studio that has many amps and a band buddy with a Herbert Mk1 (we've recorded and compared to almost all the big time metal amps). I'm going to get a Herbert to use as my main amp in one of my other metal bands (been using an Engl Invader II). I already know the Herbert rules metal and that the new MK3 does midi now for the +/- etc but my main concerns are sonically....

What is the real and noticeable sonic difference if both amps were dialed in exactly the same?
The initial feedback I've heard is that it's tighter, is this true both in a real back to back comparison and maybe internally (Peter)?
Also when I do comparison recordings I do them in a very anal and controlled way, not something I played one or two years ago and then say an MK3 last week. So anyone with real, in the moment, back to backs like this that can comment?

I would happily buy a new MK3 if it's truly tighter etc and has the newer features to make playing it live more practical to get the recorded tone. But if it's not a real noticeable difference than an MK1 than I'll save the $1800 and get an EVH 3 with the saved money.

Thanks

Pain
I'm in the same situation and interested in the answer too.

I’ve got a buddy comin over with his mk3 that we are doing to compare to mine on some reamps… there were alot of factors that influenced this ( not my room, monitors, guitars etc), but at his studio, I did not dig the mk3 as much at all compared to my mk1. Take it with a grain of salt though, this was just my initial impression not within my own control parameters. I might post up some reamping tracks here in the next day or two.

I have both and keep both . I love both lol . But if I had to pick one I like my mk1 more . It’s bigger and fuller . But mk 3 is ultra tight but just not as big . But like I said I keep both

I have owned all three versions. The mk3 had the tightest sound of all three. I currently only own the Mk2 as it has the “fuller width” sound added to every individual note. When I play a chord, it fills the space.

Back