Herbert and Paul? Clip included

• Thread starter Deleted member 3520
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3520

Greetings! Curious how the feel and tone of the Paul compares tonHerbert under high gain? Not the metal side of camp, but for lead playing and covering good rock and blues tones. If someone were to be in a rock cover and with 70’s- 90s, would one fairnover the other?

I have a Herbert and it’s probably the most wonderful amp I’ve played. The cleans are huge, and truly a wonder tonplay. Lower gain channel is killer, but the ch3 lead tone is so fluid and warm, very fun to play. I tend to hear people chugging away on the Herbert, but it covers so much ground!

Here is a clip of how I e got the lead setup. Granted, it is a speaking volume phone clip, but it’s awesome to play!

https://youtu.be/cExt2tbftqM

And here is going through all channels

https://youtu.be/FWQMtWqfZ24

I have a Pine cab with v30 and a Diezel cab with tone tubby 40/40. This was actually the v30 cab, which I only like for live use.

Sick playing - hands down, awesome.

Hard to really tell how it sounds at that volume but regardless, something's working well there :yes:

Great playing man :2thumbsup:

Unkle Mo

Thanks! I need to do another with more volume and less verb. I’m new to the Herbert, but so far it really lends to your playing, keeps you motivated, haha.

Ventura, I have seen your name around here for years about Diezel stuff. Got any recommendations on tube type/brand? I like using the Herbert on the smoother warmer side, was curious, based on your experience, if there were certain EL34 or other power tubes that really tend to that tonal realm.

fatbagg":26vg5d7l said:
Thanks! I need to do another with more volume and less verb. I’m new to the Herbert, but so far it really lends to your playing, keeps you motivated, haha.

Ventura, I have seen your name around here for years about Diezel stuff. Got any recommendations on tube type/brand? I like using the Herbert on the smoother warmer side, was curious, based on your experience, if there were certain EL34 or other power tubes that really tend to that tonal realm.
I have some tube advice but I don't wanna get my ass kicked by Papa :LOL: :LOL:

Honestly, and I gotsta be straight upfront with you - the ONLY Diezel I personally never gelled well with was the Herbert, now, that's not meaning I won't fall head over heels in love with the Mk.3 if I get my hands on one; but the reason this needs outing is because my "tube advice" wouldn't be specific to your amp with lots of "in my personal experience" attached to it. So I don't wanna blow smoke.

But that said, ahem, I know of several die-hard Herbert users who'll happily pipe in here and offer the goods. I know Papa does't like anyone using the big bottles due to heat issues/dissipation and the like; but 6550s mixed with EL34s, or straight across the board, has been around for a while in the thunder department. Do a little search and I'll step back and let the pros who've worked the Herbert step in here and give their personal 2 cents.

Preamps though?? Love the GL-ECC3 in V1 of my Diezels, a solid grey plate Ei Yugo or LPS in the Phase Inverter slot, and bear in mind V3 and V4 in the Herbert are cathode follower positions to the best of my understanding - meaning - preferably no Russian long plate or spiral filament tubes in those sockets. Peter recommends high grade select Chinese in V1 and V2, then high grade Chinese for the rest of the sockets. They're cheap, decent for noise (for the most part) and offer gobs of gain. They're also sturdy little f*ckers. Hence the reason he chooses and uses them. But stepping OUTSIDE the RECOMMENDED tube-set for pre's, I've been a fan of the GL-ECC83, and honestly the new Svetlana 12AX7. Bear in mind all New Sensor are Russian and they're making the EHX, Tung Sol, Gold Lion, Sovtek and Svetlana to the best of my knowledge - but the Svet 12AX7 has a cathode-to-heater rating of about 200v both +/- (I've currently got them in my V3 sockets of the D-Moll and Hagen, test driving them to see how they fare there). But that's really it man - V1, V2, V3 are tonal preamp section with V3 also being a CF. So those are the 3 you get to work with, HG Chinese in V4 and V5 (loop send/return/mix) is fine with V4 being a CF as well; and phase inverter V6 to taste. The GL-ECC83 is smooth and sophisticated and offers MASSIVE soundstage; the Svets are warmer with just a smidge less graininess than the Chinese, Svets rate @ 85-115 gain ratio, Chinese @ 100), but are dead quiet and sound amazing cranked... Hence my love for them. Otherwise, NOS baby, all the way. But in a pinch, good ol' Chinese or selected High-Grade Low-Noise TAD 7025S, they'll be fine.

Maybe get used to your Herbert as is first and get to know its nuances... Then start toying with the tubes. Hey, 6 PTs and 6 new pres ain't cheap ;)

It's a killer amp Bro, congratz!!!!!!

Unkle Mo :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Thanks a lot! I actually don’t plan on changing power tubes until Inhave to, the amp sounds wonderful as is. The Gold Lion was my favorite v1 tube in most of my boogies, so I will surely try it. Haven’t tried tonnew svet preamps, I’ll check it out. Thanks!

fatbagg":1yhj8pnl said:
Thanks a lot! I actually don’t plan on changing power tubes until Inhave to, the amp sounds wonderful as is. The Gold Lion was my favorite v1 tube in most of my boogies, so I will surely try it. Haven’t tried tonnew svet preamps, I’ll check it out. Thanks!
Make sure they're the newer Svetlana 12AX7 as the older versions aren't the same...the new ones are faintly logo'd in gold etched (barely visible), and short plate with imbedded spiral filaments. They didn't give me any grief yesterday in a few of my amps I was truly pushing hard AF :D

Smooth, real sweet gain, aggressive when needed, no ear fatigue, and most of all - no hiss, snap, crackle, pop - just amazingly quiet. They took a beating, came out just fine. I'm pleased.

Here's the updated data sheet:
https://www.amptubes.com.au/wp-content/ ... nsheet.pdf

Peace
Unkle Mo

Back