Lil Fokker, VH2, other?

ape2000

I'm in the middle of deciding on my next amp. All my posts here and elsewhere have been seeking something both versatile and budget friendly. With the new Tool song dropping and my rekindling of love for older Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, and others ... I find myself looking at Diezels.

I love simplicity as much as I love versatility (and my wallet agrees). Anyone play both of these? For alt/art/prog/ rock and heavy, grungey, but often ambient rock such as the above, would one of these fit the bill? I know they've got the dirt down, but how's the clean? The Fokker is a bit more attainable in terms of price.

I can only say some experiences of my VH2 and late VH4. VH2 is really simple and flexible amp. CH1 goes from perfect clean to soft crunch with wide range gain control. Tonal details are easy to dial with the tone stack. Similarly, the CH2 fulfils the heavy crunch and massive distortion with small tweaking of the channel controls, completed with the master section pres/deep controls. I added MXR 10-band EQ to the loop to have "homemade mid-cut" :) This is handy and easily expands the tonal range.

Comparing VH2.ch1 to VH4.ch1&ch2, VH2 combines the best of the two original channels, allowing to dial almost any sound identical to VH4, only one at a time. I like it fully cranked with maximal gain, really creamy crunch.

VH2.ch2 has wider gain range than VH4.ch3, while the tonal behavior sounds and feels to be 99% identical.

VH2 is great for rock and metal among others, Tool-ish sound is directly there :) I really like the simplicity of VH2, since there is only one distortion channel to play with. Only small adjustment per different guitars is typically needed.

TTV":26mz2t5m said:
I can only say some experiences of my VH2 and late VH4. VH2 is really simple and flexible amp. CH1 goes from perfect clean to soft crunch with wide range gain control. Tonal details are easy to dial with the tone stack. Similarly, the CH2 fulfils the heavy crunch and massive distortion with small tweaking of the channel controls, completed with the master section pres/deep controls. I added MXR 10-band EQ to the loop to have "homemade mid-cut" :) This is handy and easily expands the tonal range.

Comparing VH2.ch1 to VH4.ch1&ch2, VH2 combines the best of the two original channels, allowing to dial almost any sound identical to VH4, only one at a time. I like it fully cranked with maximal gain, really creamy crunch.

VH2.ch2 has wider gain range than VH4.ch3, while the tonal behavior sounds and feels to be 99% identical.

VH2 is great for rock and metal among others, Tool-ish sound is directly there :) I really like the simplicity of VH2, since there is only one distortion channel to play with. Only small adjustment per different guitars is typically needed.

I appreciate the thorough response. Between your description and clips I've checked it, it sounds incredible!

Vin Diezel":2jchz06j said:
Fokker's cleans are very good, better than VH4's imho.

When you say very good- any clean tones you could compare it to, whether it's other amps or songs? I know people don't buy Diezels for clean tones, but I'm curious!

Back