Herbert with EL34BSTR , EL34BHT ?

hopkinWFG

Have heard many good reviews on these two tubes... either Ruby or TAD El34BSTR or EL34BHT?

Which of these compliments more on the Herbert amp? Concerning factor to getta more face melting tone good harmonics, tight lowend and bass response, with lesser compression?

Any experienced users with these tubes on their Herbert please chime in thank you!

My honeymoon with KT77 Is more or less... i wanna try the EL34s more :)

hopkinWFG":we3jyuw1 said:
Have heard many good reviews on these two tubes... either Ruby or TAD El34BSTR or EL34BHT?

Which of these compliments more on the Herbert amp? Concerning factor to getta more face melting tone good harmonics, tight lowend and bass response, with lesser compression?

Any experienced users with these tubes on their Herbert please chime in thank you!

My honeymoon with KT77 Is more or less... i wanna try the EL34s more :)

The chinese EL34s are more compressed and Hifi sounding compared to the JJ KT77. They will give you more high end but lack in the mid range where the guitar typically sits in the mix.

hopkinWFG":3m2k260p said:
Thanks guys... looks like results not really positive on the EL34... lol

As always it depends on the amp, the cab and the player but IMO the JJ KT77s are the best power tubes in Diezel amps.

MourningEngine":28rhfe1t said:
hopkinWFG":28rhfe1t said:
Thanks guys... looks like results not really positive on the EL34... lol

As always it depends on the amp, the cab and the player but IMO the JJ KT77s are the best power tubes in Diezel amps.

My thoughts to. All channels benefit. You could always try but then again, you'll loose cash because i bet you will be swapping them back in again.

In Herbert I much prefer the EL34BSTR.
It came with KT77’s.

I didn’t get the hype until I tried the 34’s.
Just my preference.

rickenbacker198":1hr86948 said:
It came with KT77’s.

Just my preference.

Thanks... so how did it sound ? More aggressive mids but with a more compressed tone due to the EL34?

hopkinWFG":cacnupkm said:
rickenbacker198":cacnupkm said:
It came with KT77’s.

Just my preference.

Thanks... so how did it sound ? More aggressive mids but with a more compressed tone due to the EL34?

It’s all subjective, so here’s my obsessive take...
I have a Mk1
I find the JJ KT77s are a bit hard sounding , no bounce or compression as you put it.
Herbert naturally has a very linear, clean power amp and the amp responds more linearly than I like with these tubes.
They are extremely low mid - bass heavy.
In the sense that it chokes the amp, it can’t be dialed out with the amps eq. , by then it’s just anemic.
Every type and brand of power tube accentuates differently, frequencies poke out.
I don’t like what pokes in the JJ KT77.
But it does make Herbert sound aggressive.

The EL34 BSTR is smoother , yes more classic and chewy sounding.
Also more pleasant with gain. No offending frequencies.
A lot less bass , I could do with a touch more even. But I’d rather live here than the other extreme.
Cleans are much better and more alive.
There’s a nice chime and ring in the highs no matter the gain.
This tube just seems to have more character than others in Herbert, it makes the amp feel and sound more alive.

Back