Early Herbert first 30 vs Herbert MK2

hopkinWFG

Heard from Peter that the very first debut of Herbert "first serial 30" was made very tight...

Just wonder has anybody here every tried da first 30 Herbert ? If its generally tighter does it mean its less sensitive to picking or the tone is just tighter than the MK2 ?

Will the first 30 herbert being more dynamic to how hard ypur picking is ?

For the "purists" - a original Herbert demo of (001/334)/2003

NOTE: (Herbert serial numbers, Peter Diezel 2008)

"I thinkl it was Ed Yoon from Tone Merchants who
brought up the rumour about the revisions.

We made small changes from time to time to optimize
the circuit but there are no MK1, MK2 or MK3 versions.

We built the first 30 with woodgrills and these were
called later MK1 by Ed Yoon, we never stated about
different versions.

There is also some guy who said that we built a MK3
version. Sorry, I don´t know about that.

Best,

Peter"

Cool ! Thanks for linking me up on the vid.... i dont know if its how the recording being done or its really how the amp sound... i do hear less compression on both 2nd and 3rd... the bass is really less on tap thou...

Crap... sorry.. maybe my opinion on da compression thingy isnt fully comprehened

hopkinWFG":j01zcgcf said:
i do hear less compression on both 2nd and 3rd... the bass is really less on tap thou...

Crap... sorry.. maybe my opinion on da compression thingy isnt fully comprehened
Rock guitarist - no worries hop. This vid obviously focuses on harnessing the wealth of dynamics in Herbert's original channel 3. I'm still very close to my Herbert since 2003. The most common mistake well intending folks make when they hop on a Diezel Herbert is they "diminish" the impetus of channel 3 by soaking it with too much gain.

It's hard to say where to start until you just realize that in Herbert's case (despite it's intended design) I find that less is clearly more here. For me, that's all the gain you need as a player for both rock lead and rhythm guitar and I challenge you to convince me that more gain is necessary to achieve this tight very responsive vibe from Herbert. Note the control panel on channel 3, and the master controls - somewhat deceiving. If you had not glanced at the interface before hearing the audio, I suspect in that case you possibly would have perceived a higher gain setting.

For me, with Herbert, any gain above 4/11:00 is pissed just away like taking excessive dosages of vitamin supplements each morning.

Attachments

• Herbert CH3.jpg
    Herbert CH3.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 333
Haha... i see ya gain on channel 3 is at 1100 is slightly lesser than what i do on my Mk2... knobs like ya bass is about same and depth... i do max the mids at times but for channel 2 i find a considerable amount of gain dosing will sound better, i usually get it at 1300 or 1330...i also felt the depth has to be at 1200 or 1300 to bring up the evil cruching means of Herbie...

I was being told the earlier Herbert is tighter and has less lowend according to Peter but he also stressed out MK1 or MK2 is really not a day and night thing... even with MK3.... but i do find MK3 voicing is not for me... and MK2 has some says has a sag going on compared to the first 30 being very tight... am just kinda confused here lol

Back