2008 VH4 power and pre? Whats up in the year?

hopkinWFG

Howdy !! Just got my 2008 VH4 !! Stoked !! Massive massive amp here !! And am trying to date this amp back to stock... least to what it was shipped out with...

Anybody could share what brand of EL34 where these shipped back in the day and whats da brand on the Preamps ?

Thank you!!

I believe they ship with JJ KT77s now. That's what I just put in my VH4S and it sounds great. JJ preamp tubes as well.

2008 should be.
Ruby EL34 BSTR
Ruby 12AX7C
Both made by Shuguang.

I believe it was in 2009 that SED6550 ‘s were used.

Back to Ruby EL34’s again after that, until going to JJ KT77’s for the last few years.

Hi and thanks alot guys !! Well can my 2008 VH4 accept 6550 tubes? Thou it has only a El34 to 6L6 switch on the chassis between the power tubes and Supply capacitors...?

Thank you Mr Peter Diezel !! But am loving EL34s... would like to ask prior to 2007 revision on more gain, less compression and more presence did the revision for VH4 much finalized? Or were there "new" circuit changes after 2007 you made? I heard you be doing a VH4 mk2 will you tell us more? Hehe...

I do realise my 2008 VH4 channel 3 is more compressed and more focus than channel 4 being more open in tone has a small amount of brightness to it and a a tad more sag than channel 3... just wonder if what you guy have on ya VH4 is same as what i described?

But i hear many tend to describe channel 4 being overly compressed ? :(

Did Peter later revise channel 4 ?

Arr... my bad haha i mean channel 4 being compressed not channel 3 thou... just too easy to play on Ch4

hopkinWFG":3p62ebv0 said:

Thank you Mr Peter Diezel !! But am loving EL34s... would like to ask prior to 2007 revision on more gain, less compression and more presence did the revision for VH4 much finalized? Or were there "new" circuit changes after 2007 you made? I heard you be doing a VH4 mk2 will you tell us more? Hehe...

No VH4 MK2 now but I´m prepared when it comes too a new design.
I think the existent VH4 sell well and there is no need for a MK2.
I personally would like to have a more clean outlook inside but
it´s good as long as it works well.

Peter Diezel":2hmhojkr said:
hopkinWFG":2hmhojkr said:

No VH4 MK2 now but I´m prepared when it comes too a new design.
I think the existent VH4 sell well and there is no need for a MK2.
I personally would like to have a more clean outlook inside but
it´s good as long as it works well.

Ohh... but these supply caps sitting on the chassis makes recap job whole lot easier for enthusiaist like us...

Will you ever think channel 4 on much lesser compression be better for most people here? As i guess many of the VH4 users are talking about over channel 4 being almost too compressed and it looses the feel of an amp.....

Thanks for the cool Peter ! Now i own two of your iconic amp of all time ! Herbert and VH4 !! :rock:

Back