Tightening up a Lil Fokker

Bad.Seed

Posted this in the main forum but I know the Diezel guys tend to hang here:

Just picked up a Lil Fokker yesterday. I love the overall tone of these amps, even more so than my Herbert MKI, BUT the low end is even looser/boomier than I remember.

I've tried a couple different cabs and boosts out front, but can't get rid of the tubbiness without losing all of the low end.

Anyone here tried any modifications to the circuit to tighten these up? Guessing no, but figured I'd ask.

I really love the voicing of the amp. Just want tighter/more percussive low end out of it, similar to the Herbie.

Hey Man,

Gratz on the new amp!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

What kinda guitars/pups are you running the Fokker with? Is it bought new? Tubes can assist in helping the low-end & overall EQ, but it's key for me to know the ax/pup combo, and that'll help with some ideas. Furthermore, volume you're playing at as well as styles of music.

Peace
Unkle Mo

I know I replied yesterday, but the post seems to have disappeared.

I have a number of guitars, different pickups, cabs, picks, etc. So it varies. I generally play thrash in E standard, I play loud in most circumstances, and play out frequently. so I'm no stranger to high volumes.

My current main guitars are a Gibson LP Custom w/ 498t and my Gibson R8 with Bareknuckle Alnico Nailbomb. Both are tonally on the tight side and deliver percussive palm mutes.
As far as tubes, the amp came with JJ kt77 and Chinese 12ax7 in the power section.

The power tubes may be shot, so I'll try a swap on those, but I know the amp is inherently not as tight as the Herbert.

Tubes make just a massive difference in Diezel amps.

Never had a chance to play with a Fokker , this is all based on experience with Herbert MK1 , Schmidt and a VH4.

I find the JJ KT77’s too boomy in the low end, it’s something that can’t be equalized out, unless you totally lose all lows.
Sticking with 77’s , the GL KT77 is very lean down there., Makes amps seem way tighter to my ear.
If you have any EL34BSTR kicking around, I also find them tighter.
For super tight , the 6L6 WXT+ actually sounds pretty great in my VH4, I’d imagine the Fokker is similar.

IMO the Chinese pre tubes are not super tight.
For tight and musical try a NOS EI Yugo greyplate in V1,
Also a 12ax7 LPS in V2 or V3 tightens it further.
Another LPS in the PI subtlety improves the response too.
I like the Chinese everywhere else.

Good luck.

Back