VH4 Parallel Effects Loop Issues/Questions. HELP!

MesaSean

Hey folks. I bought my VH4 brand new a month ago roughly. (I had a VH4 & VH4S back in the late 2000's, and used it for years, so I am not new to the Vh4 at all). So either I am just dumb or having major issues with the Parallel FX loop in this new VH4.

I tried running a MXR Chorus and MXR Carbon Copy Analog delay through the Parallel Loop. I really just use the Chorus in the channel insert for channel 1 as that is all I really need it on. I also have a Digitech Jam Man Looper/Delay pedal for looping things to play over and also it has a really nice delay. (I am not impressed with the Carbon copy Delay so far. It does not sound very good in the Parallel loop or even channel insert for that matter. (any suggestions on a good delay pedal for the loop?) The Chorus sounds amazing in the channel insert BTW.

Anyway, here are some issues I have... When I run the chorus and/or Carbon Copy delay through the Parallel loop (100% level set on the pedal)....wow the volume goes up enormously. Now granted I did read that in the manual and I kept the FX knob on the front of the VH4 somewhat low, but man....it really makes it SO much louder when the Send 2 is engaged.

Even with the Parallel loop knob on the front relatively low, it still has a drastic volume boost when I turn it on. I simply wanted to add delay to my sound and not have the volume boost. Granted I could just use the channel insert for the Carbon Copy delay on channel 4 for leads etc. but I'd like to add it to other channels as well.

I tried running the Digitech Jam Man Looper delay through the parallel loop and wow what a disaster. It added this HUGE "hollow-like" or out of phase (or even Phaser like) effect to the sound with also the same volume boost. Too damn loud.

Any advice? I know this was long winded but in a nutshell... I just am curious how all of you use your Parallel loop for FX and do you experience the same massive volume increase when you engage it, even if the front FX knob is set to semi low. I have it low and yes I can lower it to get rid of the volume boost, but then I lose the delay effect.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Pics because why not right? :)

8fuPVAo.jpg

E5jnan3.jpg

tRqObux.jpg

qKrrisS.jpg

Peter Diezel":1e82gvuj said:
It seems you have dry signal in the parallel loop.

Thanks Peter. Sorry for my noobness, but can someone school me on the whole "dry vs wet" signal? Do pedals like Delay etc. ever offer just a wet signal and not a dry signal? (Ultra noob question)

If the effect I am using in the parallel loop, how do I make it 100% wet? I have the level on the effect (Delay pedal for this example) set to 100%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Hi,

your Digitech should have some possibility to "kill Dry", so having wet Signal only.
Without knowing your effect pedal but from the picture of the Digitech, it might be the "Dry Off" button below your knob controls.

Perhaps you start with only having the Carbon copy in the parallel loop, Mix to 100%, mix level then to be set by the Parallel Volume of you VH4 and check if you have Volume Peaks, Phase in that case also?

best

P.S.: reading the manual of your JamMan: Delay Level is the Volume of your effect unit, so put it to an appropriate level. Turn the Dry off mode on..

RTFM :)

zeen":770dxzo6 said:
Hi,

your Digitech should have some possibility to "kill Dry", so having wet Signal only.
Without knowing your effect pedal but from the picture of the Digitech, it might be the "Dry Off" button below your knob controls.

Perhaps you start with only having the Carbon copy in the parallel loop, Mix to 100%, mix level then to be set by the Parallel Volume of you VH4 and check if you have Volume Peaks, Phase in that case also?

best

P.S.: reading the manual of your JamMan: Delay Level is the Volume of your effect unit, so put it to an appropriate level. Turn the Dry off mode on..

RTFM :)

Thanks for the reply!

I returned the Carbon Copy delay and got the TC Electronic Flashback II. Wow.... just wow. Sounds amazing through the Parallel loop of the Vh4. Crystal clear delay. Has a lot of other wacky features with the mash button and even a looper, but the basic digital delay sounds amazing... and is not giving me a huge volume boost with the VH4 FX loop knob.

I'll fiddle with the Jamman some more and turn that dry mode off. Thanks Zeen!

Back