How to demo a Diezel in USA?

fantom

How does someone try various Diezel heads in USA before buying one? I caught up to 2011, when everyone was debating VH4 vs. Hagen vs. Herbert. I played a VH4, and would like to consider my options.

I'm not near Axe Palace or Sweetwater. The best option I have thought of is asking the local Guitar Center to order a few to try out (except, they don't have a Hagen at all on their webpage?). Any other ideas?

@Diezel Without venting too much, I don't understand why many of the dealers are even on the Diezel USA website. After calling all dealers within a 2 hour drive, they are worse options for me as a consumer (and likely Diezel too) than online merchants.

I see you are new here...there are many threads discussing Diezel and even some good compare videos as I recall.

Personally, I bought ALL my Diezel's sight unseen. There isn't much available unless you are in LA.
I've got the ones I want and am fine, yet i hear your frustration.

That said, Diezel customer service is EXCELLENT and Peter is a joy to work with...always goes over and above.
You can't really go wrong with any purchase. Yet if you have specific ideas about what you are trying to achieve, there are some great peeps who are very knowledgeable on the forum here.

Best of Luck!!

Stores aren't carrying $4000 amps for many reasons, it's the online reality musicians are going to have to deal with. While playing it back to back and comparing is ideal you'll most likely have to watch the Diezel videos both Peter's made and choose from there along with online comparison videos. This is why I do huge amp madness showdowns every two years here at my guitar school, priceless info on hearing a lot of killer amps back to back.

Figure out what you like about an amp, main style you'll need it for and forget about price with a new Diezel, they're all around $4k.

Here's my quick advice, anything around rock = Hagen, metal + = Herbert.
While I own a VH4 it seems as of the Peter's made the Hagen the updated modern version.

Best scenario ever = Which ever Diezel you buy you're most likely getting your top 3 amp if you did hear them all. I'm still amazed after all these years how the Herbert and VH4 destroy the rest IMO.

One of the major stores in the Washington DC area used to carry Diezels. I tried a VH4 there in late 2008, during the recession. The price was to high for me at the time, and I got a 20% off coupon good for ENGL at an online retailer, so I ended up buying the ENGL Invader instead, which I had also demoed at the store. I gave them the chance to match the online price, but the sales guy said he couldn't do it, so I bought online from the more desperate dealer.

Fast forward to late 2017, and the store had entirely stopped carrying Diezels, and were trying to get rid of their last big ENGLs by heavily discounting them. The sales guy I talked to that time said they couldn't move the big expensive amps, and the distributor wanted minimum orders of something like $25,000 or more, and they just couldn't justify it. Meanwhile, they sold several Hughes and Kettner tubemeisters that week, because they're portable, fairly cheap, and have some pretty lights and convenient features.

In between, maybe 2014 or so, I found a used VH4 on ebay for $3,000, so I bought it. I still have both amps.

Since then, I have noticed the price of Diezels has actually gone down a bit since 2008, both new and used, and where several years ago only one or two would show up now and then on ebay, when I checked maybe a year ago, there were several listings at a time.

What's happening is a mix of three things. First, people are moving from big gear to small gear. Second is the longstanding move to shopping online, which makes it much harder for physical stores to justify carrying big, expensive gear on site. Finally, as a result of new tech developments going beyond just the basic internet thing, as in bandwidth that allows for streaming video, huge advances in software, and basically ad hoc manufacturing, the market is currently flooded with gear, with new brands popping up every year and YouTubers who may never have built anything in their life now with their own lines of guitars courtesy of factories in Asia, or "custom" pedals made by taking an existing circuit design with maybe one or two minor changes to the feature set and putting it in a slightly different case with a different paint job.

The ironic result of all of that is there is more gear than ever on the market, but very little of it is available to try in person. The physical stores will only carry what they're confident will sell. On the plus side, some online stores will give you 30 days to try, and then you can send it back, but usually you'll have to pay return shipping and often a restocking fee due to the fact that they can no longer sell it as new. But while that can get expensive, it's better than not having any options at all.

So your options are probably buy to try, or find someone on Craigslist or a similar site who's selling theirs, or take a short vacation to somewhere that does have Diezels.

Sweetwater has the most liberal return policy around. You may pay some shipping but those guys are great and my even have the amps in an open box version at a discount. Tell them upfront what you’re looking to do and they are usually good to let you try and return what you don’t want. I’ve been doing it for over a decade with them without a single problem.

Thanks everyone. I agree Sweetwater or GC is probably my best option at this point.

I'm not exactly new. I've been lurking a while. I have seen almost every comparison video I can find including the videos by Diezel, it doesn't make a choice much easier.

I actually thought about the vacation idea... but vacation where? Sweetwater is the only place online that seems to have more than one Diezel in stock. Is it an option to physically go to BAD in LA? I'll probably be in LA this summer. Do they keep inventory of various amps there?

Regarding X=rock, Y=metal. I was also trying to avoid the X is better than Y discussion, as it seems to be a matter of taste. I personally prefer the VH4/Hagen tones over the D-moll/Herbert in a lot of the videos I have seen, but the videos I've found don't give me confidence in blind purchase of one over another. And I'm saying that as a "metal" guy.

As for why amps are not stocked, I had mostly the same thought process before posting here, hence I'm just asking what people do. The "dealers" I talked to wasted time by trying to sell me other products or special ordering with very unfavorable terms. They don't need to charge a 25% restocking fee if the amp never leaves the store and the distributor will take the amp back. I'd much rather a dealer ask me to pay $200 for shipping to and from LA. And I'm pretty sure most dealers who receive a return within 30 days will still sell the item as new after inspecting it.

As far as Craigslist or forums, the used supply isn't really there ATM.

Yes, the amps are all about $4k. I assume most people looking to spend $4k do not want to feel like there was something else they should have bought instead. Maybe the VHX mitigates some of the concerns and matches my use case better... I'm eagerly watching the NAMM threads.

VHX, if this sounds 95% like the original its emulating then you can't get any better, I'm getting one.
If you think $4k is rough on an amp then don't get into car racing, LOL you'll kill yourself over this $2k head or turbo. A+ is good enough, even after that some will screw it up with a crappy cab or mic placement so its endless.

VH4 or Herbert = you're not gonna regret it. I heard both back to back years ago and can't believe my two favorite tones to this day are from the same company. I've bought a bunch of amps thinking one will come close and really only a few do in completely different ways. Nothing is as good or definitely better to my ears which if you like the Diezel sound, you're good here. Engl-Bogner-Framus-VHT e.t.c are all great, but still no Diezel. Actually got my VHT UL from a guy who got a Herbert, Herbert does win IMO.

Go to Sweetwater, listen and it'll change your ears forever. Make sure same guitar, cab and similarish knob settings or dial both in to be mint and compare. It'll be worth it, my day at a store in Chicago really sealed the deal.

Speaking of Japan, I was rather shocked to see a VH4 listed on Mercari Japan for less than $1800 equivalent. If I didn't already own one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I've been to Tokyo, if I go again I would need to bring someone to help carry cases! I don't think the Diezel exchange rate would be that good. It definitely is favorable exchange rates for any Japanese custom shop guitars.

In all seriousness for other people following this thread. I talked to my local Guitar Center about getting a Hagen or VHX. They can "try" to order them, but because neither is listed on the Guitar Center website, they would have no return policy. They also told me to just order all of the amps on the website and I could return all of them. That just requires me putting over $10k on credit cards. Considering the front runners are the Hagen or VHX, this seems out of hand... I emailed BAD to see if I can just go there.

fantom":3ojws7hk said:
2+ weeks later, no reply from BAD about buying direct in person. Guess that answers that.

Hi, BAD is for dealer only so it wouldn't be really possible, I would say that ordering and sending back would be the best option here!

Back