Fizz on Channel 2

Hi,

Can someone help diagnose the issue with my VH4 channel 2?

There is a weird bloom of fizz as the chords ring out - please listen to the attached mp3 clip.

I am 100% sure there isn't anything wrong with any element in the recording chain and channel 1 is completely clean.

Thank you for your help :)

Attachments

• Fizz CH2 VH4.mp3
    994.2 KB · Views: 105
I believe this is normal.
My VH4 Does it too on channel 2/3/4
Herbert does it as well on ch 2/3

Only happens with the gain set very low trying to get a cleanish or very light crunch sound.
Sounds like some square wave distortion going on in the background.

I think when the gain is cranked up you just don’t notice it any more.

I have a Schmidt as well , it doesn’t exhibit the same behaviour.

Hi, thanks for reaching out, I have:

CH2 gain set to 1 o'clock

Ch2 volume set to 10 o'clock

Master volume at 11 o'clock

Doesn't sound great does it!

the prophet 5150":2x2vzets said:
Hi, thanks for reaching out, I have:

CH2 gain set to 1 o'clock

Ch2 volume set to 10 o'clock

Master volume at 11 o'clock

Doesn't sound great does it!

Ok well , that’s different.
I’m talking with the gain set at 8 o’clock or lower.
You should have a lot more gain than the recording.
I’d look into getting new preamp tubes ..

I just started getting this "fizz" on my brand new Vh4 on channel 1.....and then I noticed channel 3 and 4 had a tad more gain. All out of no where. I took the back plate off and all the tubes are lit up, but no idea how to check if a tube went bad. But the cleans are not as good as the were just out of no where. Not sure what to do. Mean the cleans are just not as clean. I use EMG 60's and they "were" super clean on channel 1. Now they have a slight distortion to them. i checked the cables and took everything out of the signal path etc and nothing fixed it.

I hope I don't have a bum VH4. Just bought it brand new.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I have ordered new preamp and P.I tubes for mine, when they arrive I will give you an update to see if its changed anything.

I also ordered a power conditioner after some excellent advice from Ventura, and will try them sequentially so I can help you best.

Cheers,
Greg

I cannot find anything wrong with that sound. :confused:

This is a crunch sound. What's up, doc?

Depending on the pickups and how hard you strum, the break up comes earlier or later.

MesaSean":3a3lr5sf said:
I just started getting this "fizz" on my brand new Vh4 on channel 1.....and then I noticed channel 3 and 4 had a tad more gain. All out of no where. I took the back plate off and all the tubes are lit up, but no idea how to check if a tube went bad. But the cleans are not as good as the were just out of no where. Not sure what to do. Mean the cleans are just not as clean. I use EMG 60's and they "were" super clean on channel 1. Now they have a slight distortion to them. i checked the cables and took everything out of the signal path etc and nothing fixed it.

Thoughts?
It ain't the amp. Many players use active pups, although I have to say when it comes to "testing a Diezel" I always opt for lower/moderate output passive pups as it takes away any issues active pups may be causing. Getting a "bum" Diezel is an exceptional rarity - and not usually due to HQ fault but reseller fault. Microphonics of preamp tubes are easily checked - and as for the powertubes - maybe flip it over and check bias. But something tells me the battery in your EMGs is starting to die. Do you have a passive-pup guitar floating around?? Try it.

Vin Diezel":yrocrmc9 said:
I cannot find anything wrong with that sound. :confused:

This is a crunch sound. What's up, doc?

Depending on the pickups and how hard you strum, the break up comes earlier or later.

Hi, Its the unevenness (unsmoothness to invent a word) of the tail notes of the chord, not the break-up sound of the chord itself. More like an electrical oscillation.

Cheers, Greg

Ventura":20uv1i5l said:
MesaSean":20uv1i5l said:

Thoughts?
It ain't the amp. Many players use active pups, although I have to say when it comes to "testing a Diezel" I always opt for lower/moderate output passive pups as it takes away any issues active pups may be causing. Getting a "bum" Diezel is an exceptional rarity - and not usually due to HQ fault but reseller fault. Microphonics of preamp tubes are easily checked - and as for the powertubes - maybe flip it over and check bias. But something tells me the battery in your EMGs is starting to die. Do you have a passive-pup guitar floating around?? Try it.

I don't know how to check bias etc as that is over mu head, but it was doing it as well with my new Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul with custom shop Burstbuckers.

Vin Diezel":4yikdmmr said:
I listened again using headphones. I can hear a bit of crackling. Is that what disturbs you?
5150 and I have been working on this... If you listen closely - you'll hear an oscillation in the break up, it's not a nice linear decay, but more a ON/OFF decay. There are a number of things that can cause this, and sometimes it's even desired. But in the case of the OP, he just wants the tone/signal to decay without this call & response of reflected tone. Resonance of the strings as they fall back to a state of rest can cause this [amongst themselves], the resonance of the wood/guitar can cause this, hell, even what's underneath the strings or a fabric stopper above the nut can/cannot cause this. It's funky. It's a pulsing ON/OFF of the decaying signall that's driving him a bit batshit. But we're closing in on some remedies for it.

Hope that explains it.

Hi, to all of you that have been helping! Especially Ventura!

So far, I have rebased a little hotter, added a furman power conditioner, new HG+ valves and a soviet LPS for the PI annnnnddddd,,,,,,its still there!

The bonus is that the power conditioner has made a difference to general noise floor in the studio - so that feels like a win. And new tubes never hurt. But there is still that reflection oscillation sound on channel two. Tried a few different new valves just in case I got a dud...and tried some lower gained JAN NOS from other amps in V1 - but still there.

Ventura, you have been amazing and patient, so you have nothing but my thanks even though it is still driving me crazy!! :D

Back