Collection of all kind of Diezel modifications

Tu_pe

Hello!
I would like to open this topic for any kind of modifications for the mighty Diezel amps.
I am curious what mods are added/tinkered to your amps.
It can be factory made (by Diezel Amplification) or made by any technicians.... or you.
It would be very interesting to see/hear in which directions can be expanded the sound spectrum or the funcionality of the Diezel amps.
It would be also great to read about customer wishes through the years from Peter himself ....

I do not want to encourage anybody to home-made tinkering, just I would like to see how was ruined or developed the already perfect Diezel rock sound by mods.

Tu_pe":2q3jqg4n said:
Hello!
I would like to open this topic for any kind of modifications for the mighty Diezel amps.
I am curious what mods are added/tinkered to your amps.
It can be factory made (by Diezel Amplification) or made by any technicians.... or you.
It would be very interesting to see/hear in which directions can be expanded the sound spectrum or the funcionality of the Diezel amps.
It would be also great to read about customer wishes through the years from Peter himself ....

I do not want to encourage anybody to home-made tinkering, just I would like to see how was ruined or developed the already perfect Diezel rock sound by mods.

No modded Diezels, cool.

Tu_pe":3tvj2esa said:
No modded Diezels, cool.

Why mess with perfection?

Although I would like to know how to mod a Herbert Mk1 into a Mk2 so I could have a local tech do it instead of shipping the whole amp to Germany.

Aside from some sugar and spice with preamp and powertube cocktails??

Absolutely NOTHING needed to mod my Diezels, nor any desire to. At all. Whatsoever. No.

I bought my 100 watt Einstein with the channel 1 mod already done. It allows me to switch between all 3 channel 1 modes via a 2 button foot switch. Has made the amp WAY more usable for me. Absolutely love that amp.

Philip":37ou39vq said:
I added Mid Cut to both my Hagen / VH4 :D

Care to share what you did? Im using outboard EQ with einstein for this.

I also did the einstein channel mod which is AMAZING. I now have 6 available tones via MIDI.

moltenmetalburn":31z4pleo said:
Philip":31z4pleo said:

I also did the einstein channel mod which is AMAZING. I now have 6 available tones via MIDI.

I have the Einstein mod that allows me to use the 6 channels via 2 trs footswitches. How do you mod Einstein for MIDI?

I moved the NFB connection on my 2018 VH4 from the 8 ohm jack to the 4 ohm jack. Not a huge change, but it opens the amp up a little bit and I prefer the tone.
With that one little change, I now feel like the amp is "perfect" for me.

Edit: a few guys have PM'd me about this, so here's rundown.

The pic shows the output jacks and output transformer of my VH4.
The white wire on the output jacks is the negative feedback wire. The orange wires are the leads from the output transformer.
Originally, the white wire was connected to the 8 ohm (middle ) set of jacks along with the middle orange output transformer lead.
Simply un-solder the white wire from the 8 ohm jacks and solder it to the 4 ohm jacks as I have in the picture.
That's it!!
If you don't like it, put it back. It takes 30 seconds.

Attachments

• VH4 NFB.png
    VH4 NFB.png
    686.2 KB · Views: 660
joafink2":ktkh48ru said:
moltenmetalburn":ktkh48ru said:
Philip":ktkh48ru said:

I have the Einstein mod that allows me to use the 6 channels via 2 trs footswitches. How do you mod Einstein for MIDI?

You bring the mode switch out to a TRS jack and use a pair of midi controlled contact closures to trigger externally.

I moved the NFB connection on my 2018 VH4 from the 8 ohm jack to the 4 ohm jack. Not a huge change, but it opens the amp up a little bit and I prefer the tone.
With that one little change, I now feel like the amp is "perfect" for me.

Edit: a few guys have PM'd me about this, so here's rundown.

The pic shows the output jacks and output transformer of my VH4.
The white wire on the output jacks is the negative feedback wire. The orange wires are the leads from the output transformer.
Originally, the white wire was connected to the 8 ohm (middle ) set of jacks along with the middle orange output transformer lead.
Simply un-solder the white wire from the 8 ohm jacks and solder it to the 4 ohm jacks as I have in the picture.
That's it!!
If you don't like it, put it back. It takes 30 seconds.
What is the tonal change with this mod? Sounds like it makes it less compressed? Interested...

When I bought my VH4S a couple years ago the original owner had modded Channel Two to be voiced "More Marshall than Fender".
I have to say, it Channel Two on mine REALLY sounds like a nice JCM800.

What is the tonal change with this mod? Sounds like it makes it less compressed? Interested...
Yeah, less compressed and a bit brighter overall.
I should also mention that running the channel vols at noon or higher makes a difference as well.
Try setting channel 3 volume @ 1 o'clock, get your desired output level going with the Master volume, and then go back and balance the other channels to taste using the channel volumes.
KT77's or 6550's are recommended too :yes:

Yeah, less compressed. I much prefer it to the original sound. It's easy as to do the mod an easily reversible.
Yeah, less compressed and a bit brighter overall.
I should also mention that running the channel vols at noon or higher makes a difference as well.
Try setting channel 3 volume @ 1 o'clock, get your desired output level going with the Master volume, and then go back and balance the other channels to taste using the channel volumes.
KT77's or 6550's are recommended too :yes:

Huh. Kinda cool - I use a VH4S which is essentially two 50watt VH4's in one package.

Would the same mod apply there? I'm basically just swapping the white wire from the 8ohm jack to the 4ohm jack for both outs, so do the mod twice, once for Channel A and once for Channel B?

Must I then only use the 4ohm out to go into my cabs? Or can I still use the 8ohm outs as usual, even though the mod involves rewiring the wire from the 8ohm to 4ohm jacks? No damage to the output transformers?

(I'm just trying to work out what is physically changing to the signal at schematic level in order for the sound to be less compressed and more open).

Huh. Kinda cool - I use a VH4S which is essentially two 50watt VH4's in one package.

Would the same mod apply there? I'm basically just swapping the white wire from the 8ohm jack to the 4ohm jack for both outs, so do the mod twice, once for Channel A and once for Channel B?

Must I then only use the 4ohm out to go into my cabs? Or can I still use the 8ohm outs as usual, even though the mod involves rewiring the wire from the 8ohm to 4ohm jacks? No damage to the output transformers?

(I'm just trying to work out what is physically changing to the signal at schematic level in order for the sound to be less compressed and more open).
If you move the NFB wire from the 8 ohm tap to the 4 ohm tap, what is physically changing is you are sending LESS negative feedback signal back to the phase inverter. The result is less damping of the PI output ( less compressed ) and more harmonic distortion (perceived as more brightness). This is a simplified technical explanation, but you get the idea :D

Any speaker output can still be used. The white wire is soldered to the same lug on the jacks as the wire from the output transformer, so there is a permanent negative feedback connection, regardless of which jack the speaker cable is plugged into.

If you have channel "A" and "B" output transformers, and 2 negative feedback wires connected to the channel "A" and "B" 8 ohm jacks, then you would do the mod X 2.

Back