VH4 Channel 1. (EQ in the Loop?)

MesaSean

Yes I did the search and read the various threads but wanted some more insight into making the VH4 channel one "cleaner".

I know most will say they love the clean tone already and I think it's ok (I don't think it's horrible, but it's hard going from a Mesa Mark V clean to the VH4 clean. They are very different amps and I have no room for multiple amps etc. I just want my VH4.)

I mainly bought the amp for channels 2-4, but I do want sparkly cleans if possible. I know it can never be say....Roland JC-120 clean, but any tips to making the clean tone sound more "clean" or "sparkly".

Perhaps and EQ pedal in the channel insert or different power/pre amp tubes? I read a few thread where folks ran an EQ pedal through the serial parallel loop, but no real answers.

Any advice would be appreciated. I do run an MXR Analogue Chorus and it does clean it up some more, but I just wanted to see some other options folks have tried.

(yes it's an exhausted statement, but I did really enjoy the clean tone on my old Mk I Herbert, but I did not like the overdrive compared to the Vh4.

Thanks!

I put a volume pot in the ch1 insert and turn up the channel volume and turn down the pot to match the volume of the other channels.
I found that makes the sound warmer.

I don't know, is sparkly clean what a Mesa Mark V is known for? Mesa Mark V setup: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/cata ... Layout.jpg
Have you tube rolled for V1 position - that's dedicated for Ch1? IIRC, my vintage Telefunkens were best, but don't remember which actual plate design yielded best result. Check out a good tube shop for hard core data.
As you probably know, however much you rely on the power tubes for tone the Mesa w/ 6L6 vs. VH4 KT77(?) will definitely be different.

pdqcarrera":1anuvns6 said:
I don't know, is sparkly clean what a Mesa Mark V is known for? Mesa Mark V setup: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/cata ... Layout.jpg
Have you tube rolled for V1 position - that's dedicated for Ch1? IIRC, my vintage Telefunkens were best, but don't remember which actual plate design yielded best result. Check out a good tube shop for hard core data.
As you probably know, however much you rely on the power tubes for tone the Mesa w/ 6L6 vs. VH4 KT77(?) will definitely be different.

No, but my Mark V channel one DID have that insane sparkly clean tone. I even just bought a new Dual Recto 50th Anniversary edition and the clean is really really good.

My brand new Vh4 from 2 month ago was having major issues so I had to send to to Cali to get it fixed (We don't know what is wrong with it. We thought it was the pre amp tubes and it fixed it for a little and the same problems came back). But with COVID the repair shop is closed until April 20th so I won't have my Vh4 for a very long time. So pissed off I got dud of a new VH4 but it's in the right hands. I bought the Dual Recto new to hold me over and really loving it. Totally different tones and better clean (to my ears). But I really miss the overdrive channels of the VH4 as hands down they beat any amp I have ever played. The dual recto I have dialed in for a sick clean tone and great overdrive tone with a TS9 in the front to tighten it up.

I miss my VH4!! :no:

Back