Vh4 bias

Savvyray19

I use 6l6s in my vh4 and i wanted to see what other would recommend me setting the bias at. I know 35ma is recommended for kt77s. Id just want to know since im using 6l6s would it sound better higher or lower? Im also a big fan of the blueface tone. Those older amps came with 6L6s and didnt have a bias trim pot. So im also curious if anyone knows what the bias on those amps were hardwired to be set to, if so i prefer to set it to that.

I use 6L6 - prefer a colder bias myself
28 mA per tube.
Mine is a ‘ 01 so no blue face spec also has adjustable bias.

Honestly I recommend setting it by ear. It has to be loud for this to work well.
Put the meter on and see where it’s too hot — 40ma or so.
Don’t turn the pot higher than that.
Put the meter away and just set it by what sounds good.
Play it for a while at each range .. bring it way down and the up slightly each few mins.
Too low and it’s thin and anemic sounding.
Turning it up it’ll start to sound fuller and respond with more bounce.
At a point you’ll see that the amp sounds mushed and loses dynamics.
Turn it back until it sounds the best to you.

That’s been my experience anyway.

Savvyray19":2c5qme6k said:
I use 6l6s in my vh4 and i wanted to see what other would recommend me setting the bias at. I know 35ma is recommended for kt77s. Id just want to know since im using 6l6s would it sound better higher or lower? Im also a big fan of the blueface tone. Those older amps came with 6L6s and didnt have a bias trim pot. So im also curious if anyone knows what the bias on those amps were hardwired to be set to, if so i prefer to set it to that.

https://www.diezelamplification.com/man ... l_V1-1.pdf

Back