Questions on VHX

niki512

Hi there, since the manual is pretty short and there’s no more information on the homepage I‘ve got a few questions on the VHX:
1. Is the 1-Watt-Mode still available as it was on the prototype?
2. Will there be a foot controller which also shows the name of the current preset?
3. Am I right that the Rec-Out can be used to go straight to FOH as well?
4. The Rec and Hp -Out can be used without a connected cab, is that right? Will the power amp in this case automatically be deactivated?
Thanks, Niki

Why to start separate topic instead of adding your questions to the main discussion on VHX?

niki512":2h09ggnr said:
Hi there, since the manual is pretty short and there’s no more information on the homepage I‘ve got a few questions on the VHX:
1. Is the 1-Watt-Mode still available as it was on the prototype?
2. Will there be a foot controller which also shows the name of the current preset?
3. Am I right that the Rec-Out can be used to go straight to FOH as well?
4. The Rec and Hp -Out can be used without a connected cab, is that right? Will the power amp in this case automatically be deactivated?
Thanks, Niki

1) No, it was only on prototype
2) We are evaluating it
3) Sure
4) Yes and Yes!

Thanks Leo! Well, that sounds really great, think I'll have to sell a few of my amps and get a VHX :)
@TTV: Because the the thread title consists of the words "prototype", "2019", so I thought opening a new thread would be okay. When reading through the forum there are no separate topics for every amp. If I'm wrong I'm sorry, maybe one of the admins could push my question in the right thread.

It’s all good for me Welcome RT!
VHX looks amazing but I think I need this to qualify for the longer payment plans on Musicians Friend/Sweetwater to snag one anytime soon

Meanwhile I got my VHX and this amp is just awesome. But unfortunately I'm having some issues with updating the firmware. In the manual it says the firmware so called DOS.bin has to be downloaded from the Diezel-Homepage and must be copied to the VHX which is connected via USB to the computer. The file from the homepage is not called DOS.bin but VHX1_71.bin, however, if I load this file into the root directory on the VHX and switch the amp off and on, nothing happens, no update will start and firmware is still 1.5; i tried to rename VHX_1_71.bin to DOS.bin, makes no difference.
Anyone else having this problems ? And maybe a solution for it ?

Could you send me a mail so I could send you the file?
It should be called "DOS.bin", case sensitive, but maybe when renaming it there's something wrong, we will update the website with the zip folder instead to avoid this issue.

leonardo@diezelamplification.com

Thank you,
Leonardo

Leo Diezel":1704k3kl said:
Could you send me a mail so I could send you the file?
It should be called "DOS.bin", case sensitive, but maybe when renaming it there's something wrong, we will update the website with the zip folder instead to avoid this issue.

leonardo@diezelamplification.com

Thank you,
Leonardo

I don’t own a Diezel, but this is why I love Diezel.

Hi together,

not to open a new thread on the VHX, I will post in this one.
VHX has arrived !!!! :m17:

First Impressions are really great, basically unboxed it, plugged in some headphones (cabless operation is a nice feature) and yes, most likely one of the best sounds I have ever heard coming straight out of a box… cannot wait to have the beast plugged to real cabinets… (which I do not have at home)…

currently running DOS-1.5 (btw, nice choice to name it this way…), will upgrade the next hours/day….

some feedback after an hour or so playing around:

Soundwise I can only judge via the built in IRs, but this sound already very good!!!
The UI is quite great, I think it is intuitive and can be handled very easy from everyone, effect tuning is down to the basic parameters, so people who like to tweak in deepth might be not satisfied (e.g. no Pre-Delay variation for Reverb). From my perspective, as I do not want to play around with too many parameters, as long as the effect itself sounds great I think I can get what I want (and anyhow not using too much of effects).

I realized one point that concerned me, it happened one time that while changing an effect block, the Display suddenly created flashing „pixel“/„colors“ and even that I could change parameters and tried to save it ,after restarting (display fine again) the changes have not been saved… need to see if this will occur again, or perhaps might gone with DOS-1.7?

Some questions:
@Peter, do you mind to disclose how many units you have built already?
@ Leo,
- is it possible to move an effect in front of the amp? (e.g. the Pitch?)
- is it possible to have effect in parallel operation? (e.g. having Chorus only affecting the Delay Signal, or having Reverb not affecting the Delay signal?

Thanks a lot

zeen":3mkye78y said:
Hi together,

not to open a new thread on the VHX, I will post in this one.
VHX has arrived !!!! :m17:

First Impressions are really great, basically unboxed it, plugged in some headphones (cabless operation is a nice feature) and yes, most likely one of the best sounds I have ever heard coming straight out of a box… cannot wait to have the beast plugged to real cabinets… (which I do not have at home)…

currently running DOS-1.5 (btw, nice choice to name it this way…), will upgrade the next hours/day….

some feedback after an hour or so playing around:

Soundwise I can only judge via the built in IRs, but this sound already very good!!!
The UI is quite great, I think it is intuitive and can be handled very easy from everyone, effect tuning is down to the basic parameters, so people who like to tweak in deepth might be not satisfied (e.g. no Pre-Delay variation for Reverb). From my perspective, as I do not want to play around with too many parameters, as long as the effect itself sounds great I think I can get what I want (and anyhow not using too much of effects).

I realized one point that concerned me, it happened one time that while changing an effect block, the Display suddenly created flashing „pixel“/„colors“ and even that I could change parameters and tried to save it ,after restarting (display fine again) the changes have not been saved… need to see if this will occur again, or perhaps might gone with DOS-1.7?

Some questions:
@Peter, do you mind to disclose how many units you have built already?
@ Leo,
- is it possible to have effect in parallel operation? (e.g. having Chorus only affecting the Delay Signal, or having Reverb not affecting the Delay signal?

Thanks a lot

Thank you for your purchase :) It looks like you are enjoying it already!
I suggest you to update to the latest software as there been a great lot of improvements, thanks to all the close users that gave us early feedback!
The error you found was fixed as well.

Unfortunately that is not possible due to the fully analog nature of the amp, we choose to mantain it fully analog to not affect the important Guitar/Tube interaction.

With DOS 1.71 it would still not possible to do parallel operation, however there are a lot of new functions, for example Delay could be now modulated and Reverb could be tweaked much more, still without being scary complex.
We would study if there is a simple way to do that without making the UI too complex, I think one of the biggest strenght is the UI being extremely simple!

- do you mind to disclose how many units you have built already?
It should be around 30

Thank you and please keep sharing your feedback!

Thanks a lot Leo for the quick reply,[

Thank you for your purchase :) It looks like you are enjoying it already!

--> yeah I do :rock:

The purchase itself took me some time for decision.. cash flow is quite lowered afterwards but I still hope that I can rid of some other stuff afterwards so hopefully overall it will get back to even.... :scared:

I suggest you to update to the latest software as there been a great lot of improvements, thanks to all the close users that gave us early feedback!

--> will do tomorrow first

Unfortunately that is not possible due to the fully analog nature of the amp, we choose to mantain it fully analog to not affect the important Guitar/Tube interaction.

--> understood and appreciated, as this was one of the main reasons to try this amp out

With DOS 1.71 it would still not possible to do parallel operation, however there are a lot of new functions, for example Delay could be now modulated and Reverb could be tweaked much more, still without being scary complex.
We would study if there is a simple way to do that without making the UI too complex, I think one of the biggest strenght is the UI being extremely simple!

--> thanks, most important from my perspective is to keep the usage as simple as possible, rather putting more effort on the basic modulation quality itself :thumbsup:

- do you mind to disclose how many units you have built already?
It should be around 30

--> thanks for sharing :yes:

all the best

--> flawless updated to DOS 1.7, Delay is much better for me that way including modulation, THANKS!

can we discuss about a Footcontroller? :D

all the best

Footcontroller: The VoodooLab GroundControl Pro I used before worked fine with the VHX, but decided to try the Roland FC300, will get it the next days.

niki512":181ulu4m said:
Footcontroller: The VoodooLab GroundControl Pro I used before worked fine with the VHX, but decided to try the Roland FC300, will get it the next days.

Using a FCB1010, works quite well especially for CC & PC Changes, would like to see an updated Columbus that can do CC&PC and perhaps a Display for tuner?

:)

So on the topic of foot controllers, does the VHX understand any type of volume control, either pre or post from a expression pedal input on a midi foot controller? Will any names be transmitted to a foot controller such as a voodoo labs or in my case a Fractal MFC 101 mk3? Will power carry down the 7 pin to power my fractal? And finally, any possibility of expression controlled Wah? Thanks in advance and am patiently waiting for mine from the first Sweetwater order!!

Yes the VHX fully understand MIDI PC and CC controls and it has a power out, I'm not sure about wiring and specification on the fractal side however, on the Diezel side you could find all the info on the manual!
Names cannot be transfered because it is usually custom commands, but we may adopt some of the most common one, it would be a nice feature.
Midi controlled what is on its way to be released as well!

I'm using the Morningstar MC8 MIDI controller on the VHX and it works perfectly. Once you have a preset setup with your required effects, you can use the midi controller to turn those effects on/off or change presets amongst other things. Ive only had it for 2 days so ive not explored all the options yet.
You can also setup the tuner on your midi controller to tune easily. Changing settings via midi works just fine. I also am using a boss volume pedal

My midi controller is also powered by the VHX using Pins 6 & 7

So on the volume pedal question, does an expression pedal plugged into a midi controller change the volume? If so is it pre or post volume> My VHX will be here Friday in DFW!! Is there a wah feature available currently? Leo, what do you mean by midi controller what is on its way? Was that supposed to be wah? If so, how long for that release?

Thanks in advance

Hpskateski":2loe5du6 said:
So on the volume pedal question, does an expression pedal plugged into a midi controller change the volume? If so is it pre or post volume> My VHX will be here Friday in DFW!! Is there a wah feature available currently? Leo, what do you mean by midi controller what is on its way? Was that supposed to be wah? If so, how long for that release?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for your support :)

- Yes, an expression pedal connected to the midi controller will change the volume when assinged to Control Change 7, this is the actual "Preamp Volume".
- The Wah (wah was a typo, sorry!) will be released in the next firmware, and you will be able to use it with the expressione pedal as well, the test are scheduled to be finished in 2 week.

Back