Diezel VH2 Power Tube Options

Ylmzmert

hey folks!

I am seriously considering to get a VH2 nowadays. I have dual recto, 5150 block letter, mark v, engl fireball mark 2, prosonic and prs mt15. Just want to add Diezel for another German flavor but,i could not find any usable information about power tube options.

First of all, I contacted diezel amps. via official site but I just wanted the have hand on experience from the users.Most of the time, I define myself as a 6L6 type of guy. But I am currently using JJ KT77s on my rectifier, and they are almost like 6L6s with that complex midrange.Some may not like it due to its stiffness compared to crunchy el34, but for doing some chuggs they are very good I must say. And the other option I used for the rectifier is Eurotubes KT88/66 mixed on the 6L6 mode, they are by far the best combination for wall crushing tight and thunderous recto sound. I am aware of the heater current requirements and the plate current of KT88on recto, they are a little cold on 6L6 mode but drawing about 32mA plate current as far as i measured, but they are spesifically selected by eurotubes among hotter grade ones.

Because of that searching and experimental kind of approach that I have, I just wanted to try out Diezel VH2 with another tubes. For some of the VH4s there is a bias switch that I came across on the internet but no results for VH2.

As a consequence my final questions are ;

Is the KT77 a must for VH2 amp or just a suggestion? Is there a bias switch inside? Or Does the bias trimpot inside have enough span to accomodate KT88/6L6/5881 kind of octal tubes?

Just finding answers for these questions about, I even checked the all diezel video youtube comments section and whole Diezel section on forum.

Anyways... I asked 3-4 times maybe to diezel official but they only said we recommend kt77's.

I could not wait anymore, ordered mine from Thomann. Looking forward to try that beast on my Mesa Oversized Recto with 2 x Celestion V30 and 2 x Electrovice EVM12L Reissue

:rock:

rickenbacker198":2w2a9v86 said:
I don’t have a VH2 but am almost certain it will take most main power tube types like the VH4.

Thank you!

Most of the time EL34 based amplifiers accept 6L6 when bias sweep window is wide. As for the heater current per lamp, 6L6 draws about .9amps and EL34 variants draw 1.5amps approximately. So i guess i will try them... :thumbsup:

Ylmzmert":129rso9d said:
Anyways... I asked 3-4 times maybe to diezel official but they only said we recommend kt77's.

I could not wait anymore, ordered mine from Thomann. Looking forward to try that beast on my Mesa Oversized Recto with 2 x Celestion V30 and 2 x Electrovice EVM12L Reissue

Do you have 230 volt main power ?

Peter Diezel":2drhgp0k said:
Ylmzmert":2drhgp0k said:

Do you have 230 volt main power ?

Yes, In Turkey, the mains voltage 220V / 50hz.
But throughout day it ripples between 225-238Volts

Finally arrived!

First impressions;

Amp is well built, tough like tank. No gimmicks,bells and whistles,straightforward. Everything was set up well, mine has JJ KT77 Gold on it. Footswitch and power cord also included. Very simple, channel select and master select. If i want a diezel vh4 but without the extra features, that would be absolutely VH2. It is well beyond my expectations.

Sound;

Channel 1;

If i got a new amp my first test is always setting up everything NOON and check the average reaction of the amp. A decent clean channel would be enough for me but, Channel 1 is bouncy and shimmering with overtones, fills up the room entirely. Tested it with telecaster, an HSS stratocaster, both are outstanding. I have also Friedman Dirty Shirley,Mark V and Fender Super Reverb Reissue. I dont thint I would ever say that but ; Diezel VH2's clean channel is one of the best I ever heard.

Everythin set NOON and humbuckers and singles are almost crystal clean, I am not sure about EMG's. After passing NOON at channel1, amp enters plexish crunch territory with humbuckers. Very very dynamic, top end is here and abundant, but never shrill or ice picky. Not hi-fi at all, there has been a rumor on the internet about Diezel's being HIFI sounding, nothing like that here, totally organic. KT77s behaved well than my expectations, they have the mid complexity of EL34s as well as the round bouncy bass of 6L6s.

Before I got the amp I was planning changing the tubes but after I tried, definitely leave it stock. This is the best sounding amp just out of the box!

Channel 2;

That is exactly why Diezel's famous for, VH4's aggressive CH3! The second channel on VH2 behaves like mid complex, dynamic, hot rodded, more controllable marshall JCM up to gain set noon but more you crank the gain, more aggressive it gets. All the positions of gain knob is responsive to your playing. Most of the amps adds compression or make a barely change at high gain levels, but the VH2 gave an instant response to me while I was turning the gain up. Haven't tried an OD808 upfront, my drop C 81-85 jackson breathes fire on that channel, instant metalcore flavor with a German touch! Love it.

I used to have Herbert MK2 at about 2014 it was a nice amp with KT77s also, but it was not dynamic as the VH2. Because of that, I misjudged the Diezel amplifiers of being HIFI these days, I admit it I was completely wrong. Before I got it i was afraid of the amp being too sterile, but made a huge suprise for me.

Anyways, thats just my 2 cents after playing about 25 minutes, If you want to ask something and thinkhing about getting it, go ahead...

You wont regret it.

Thanks.

Back