Diezel VH4 Pedal Question

Glencore

I have a question about the Diezel VH4 Pedal (the one with 1 footswitch). I picked one up recently and love the sound, it's burly as all get out. Excellent note definition. But there is one thing about it that is throwing me off a bit. I first tried it through the To Guitar Amp output into crappy JCM800 clone (Nady GTH-100) and, guess what, it sounded crappy. There is no effects loop on the amp and going through the front end sounded super mushy. I was not too surprised there as most everything I have tried through that amp sounded like hot garbage. But the pedal pretty much operated like I would think it should, that being when the pedal is off you get bypassed clean tone and when it is on, well, it's on.
The part that confuses me is when I ran the pedal through an old Peavey Classic Series 50/50 Power Amp using the VH4's To Power Amp Output. When the pedal is off, there is no sound whatsoever, clean or otherwise and when it is on, it works like it should. (Which I gotta say is awesome, heavy as hell, lots of low end and super articulate.) I kinda figured it would be the same as the To Guitar Amp output and still pass the signal through to the ampwhen the pedal is off but I dunno. Is this how these things are supposed to be or is there something wrong with mine? Anyone with some experience that wants to chime in would be much appreciated.
Much thanks.

The power amp out is muted while you push the button.
It makes no sense to connect a guitar to the power amp.

Best regards,
Peterr

Oh dang, straight from the Guru of High Gain himself. That makes sense to me why the outputs behave differently, it would be kinda weird to go straight into a power amp without any sort of a pre-amp. I kinda just had a forehead slapping moment. This is why this forum is an awesome resource. Thank you for the reply and you knocked it outta the park with this pedal sir!

@Peter Diezel, Sir. Thank you very much for clearing that out!
Following up with the original question, is there any kind of restriction on using both outputs at the same time?
I am thinking of using the pre-amp into my tube amp (on stage) AND the pedal-output to a amp/cab simulator to send the signal to a PA.
Thank you very much in advance!

I have a VH4-2 pedal and have not used it for a while. When i plug it in and use the "TO CLEAN GUITAR AMP IN" Output in to the guitar amp when the pedal is bypassed it has a low volume that is really hard to balance with the dirty sound when the pedal is on. The Master1 and master 2 volumes have to be virtually just over 0 to get the sound balanced. Yet when I unplug the lead from the back of the pedal to plug direct to the amp the clean sound is loud? This pedal has hardly been used, does it need fixing?

Back