Bleed Back sent me a damaged amp, terrible to deal with.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3520
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3520

Sold me a bad amp, noisy and dirty pots, tube sockets completely loose, tone was weak and not accurate to these amps, and amp had crossover and internal issues outside of tubes. Sounds like perhaps some caps or who else knows. He also refused to refund me because I ran it with two tubes as recommended by manufacturer and under guidance. This is a normal function of this amp. Now he claims I was tampering and blew the transformer.

Also, it’s not a true Cameron mod, has changes AND not done completely correct. I was duped, and he is ok with it. My loss, it’s sad that people at more concerned with making $500 than having some integrity.

He is saying I tampered with it and damaged the transformer for using the two tubes with half impedence to power it up for a moment. This is completely safe with these per Peavey. He sold a dirty amp and he knows it. I only Asked him for the $550 in return. I’ve been on these forums for almost 20 years and the only bad scratch I have on my record is one where the guy finally confessed to lying!

I have sent him links showing that the 5150 CAN function this way, even spoke to TWO amp techs, but he refuses. Here is the message he sent me;

“Unfortunately, you're incorrect. You cannot simply just plug-n-play two power-amp tubes and half the impedance. Plenty of literature exists on the web outlining this explicitly. Its the same for any 100-watt tube amp to 50-watt tube amp. What I mentioned in the last message exactly describes an issue pertaining to both a bias issue and possibly output transformer issue. I am more than willing to post up a thread on the main forum to prove the point. I am a legit seller who has done quite a few transactions on this forum as well as the gear page, harmony central, and the guitar amp forum. The condition of the amp was outlined in the original thread which I assume you didn't read. Yes, its seen some use (its a 5150), but it worked perfectly fine before your decision to undertake a technique you didn't fully understand. Plus, i'm finding it amusing that...all the sudden all these other issues exist. If its buyers remorse then you should simply say so.”

fatbagg":y6lhmdgn said:
Sold me a bad amp, noisy and dirty pots, tube sockets completely loose, tone was weak and not accurate to these amps, and amp had crossover and internal issues outside of tubes. Sounds like perhaps some caps or who else knows. He also refused to refund me because I ran it with two tubes as recommended by manufacturer and under guidance. This is a normal function of this amp. Now he claims I was tampering and blew the transformer.

Also, it’s not a true Cameron mod, has changes AND not done completely correct. I was duped, and he is ok with it. My loss, it’s sad that people at more concerned with making $500 than having some integrity.

He is saying I tampered with it and damaged the transformer for using the two tubes with half impedence to power it up for a moment. This is completely safe with these per Peavey. He sold a dirty amp and he knows it. I only Asked him for the $550 in return. I’ve been on these forums for almost 20 years and the only bad scratch I have on my record is one where the guy finally confessed to lying!

I have sent him links showing that the 5150 CAN function this way, even spoke to TWO amp techs, but he refuses. Here is the message he sent me;

“Unfortunately, you're incorrect. You cannot simply just plug-n-play two power-amp tubes and half the impedance. Plenty of literature exists on the web outlining this explicitly. Its the same for any 100-watt tube amp to 50-watt tube amp. What I mentioned in the last message exactly describes an issue pertaining to both a bias issue and possibly output transformer issue. I am more than willing to post up a thread on the main forum to prove the point. I am a legit seller who has done quite a few transactions on this forum as well as the gear page, harmony central, and the guitar amp forum. The condition of the amp was outlined in the original thread which I assume you didn't read. Yes, its seen some use (its a 5150), but it worked perfectly fine before your decision to undertake a technique you didn't fully understand. Plus, i'm finding it amusing that...all the sudden all these other issues exist. If its buyers remorse then you should simply say so.”

It's wonderful you selectively chose the parts of our conversation that fit your narrative. You forgot to mention that, you undertook to powering the amp on with only TWO functioning tubes all on your own and without waiting for my response to proceed. I clearly stated that had you waited for the response I would have declined the attempt, but instead purchased a new set of power-amp tubes and have them sent directly to you so it had a full quad. I would have even paid for a tech to rebias the amp for you. You don't get to purchase an electronics item, mess with its internals or perform some janky half-power technique as a remedial effort, then ask for a refund because it's now "broken".

Further, you described two of the "power-amp" tubes as busted. You did not state which tubes were broken, only that two were busted. I voiced my concern of the unbroken tubes possibly being (a) mismatched, and (b) placed into the incorrect sockets (which could result in damage to the tubes/amp). The issues you described thereafter attempting the power the amp with two power tubes are consistent with what you experienced with the amp sounding "terrible". What you failed to recognize is that, despite your assertions of my fraudulent attempts, I was only protecting myself as a seller. Your choice to power the amp on with two [random] tubes was purely your own. Not mine whatsoever. Sure, it's assumptive on my part, but your acuity of guitar amplifier topology/repair is lacking. No seller wants a buyer to undertake a possible remedial/temporary repair measure that they don't fully understand which may result in further damage to the amp. It's simply not an unreasonable position despite your assertion otherwise.

Moreover, the knobs were not scratchy prior to shipment. They were cleaned with detoxit as a double-check. I even offered to buy some, then send to your home. You refused. I've asked for pictures of the broken power-amp tubes. You've refused. I asked to have the amp taken to a local tech to be checked out to make sure the issue wasn't due to your negligence or just needed a new set of power-tubes. You refused multiple attempts. You simply demanded an immediate refund. You then proceeded to file a PayPal dispute claiming that the transaction wasn't approved. Paypal slapped the claim down in a day with the evidence I provided given your attempts claim the transaction as fraudulent, and that you attempted to fix the amp yourself. Addedly, at no point, did I represent the amp as "modded by Cameron". I clearly stated it had the "Cameron" mod. Plus, if you're accusing the amp modification of being "incorrect", then I suggest you speak with the gentleman who I purchased the amp from here on the forum who has a FAR more reputable and extensive profile than yourself.

The amp sounded AMAZING prior to shipment. I was sad to see it go. I tried to work with you. However, you chose to berate my person rather than cooperate. I never once called you any harsh or undue name whatsoever. I was completely professional.

Link to my listing: viewtopic.php?p=2292278#p2292278
Link to the listing I purchased it from: viewtopic.php?p=2160525#p2160525

I sent you pictures of the broken tubes the day I got the amp. I never refused to take it to a tech, the fact is when someone gets a damaged amp they should be able to refund, and seller should have also insured it. You say it did not have scratchy pots but it does with me AND the guy you got it from stated that, but magically not with you.

As well, you can contact Peavey directly, they will tell you the amp can be run with two tubes and split impedence, which I did for only a few minutes, WITH GUIDANCE. I’ve also been owning, playing, and biasing tube amps for almost 20 years. If I didn’t turn the amp on how would I know if there was an issue? I’ve been on TGP and Rigtalk for a long time and nobody can say I cheated them, I’m not that guy. I’m an easy dude, but when an amp shows up and the tubes that we’re packed were broken, I need to make sure the amp is ok. I took the two other tubes in the correct sockets and the amp either took a good hit in shipping, or something. As the seller the honorable thing to do is make a claim for shipping (you didn’t insure it) or refund the buyer. I did absolutely nothing wrong and am very experienced, enough to know what I can and can’t do.

Again, I sent you pictures of the damage on day one, you never responded. However, I’m willing to take the high road and take the loss, officially the first time I’ve been burned.

fatbagg":2csjdgx3 said:
I sent you pictures of the broken tubes the day I got the amp. I never refused to take it to a tech, the fact is when someone gets a damaged amp they should be able to refund, and seller should have also insured it. You say it did not have scratchy pots but it does with me AND the guy you got it from stated that, but magically not with you.

As well, you can contact Peavey directly, they will tell you the amp can be run with two tubes and split impedence, which I did for only a few minutes, WITH GUIDANCE. I’ve also been owning, playing, and biasing tube amps for almost 20 years. If I didn’t turn the amp on how would I know if there was an issue? I’ve been on TGP and Rigtalk for a long time and nobody can say I cheated them, I’m not that guy. I’m an easy dude, but when an amp shows up and the tubes that we’re packed were broken, I need to make sure the amp is ok. I took the two other tubes in the correct sockets and the amp either took a good hit in shipping, or something. As the seller the honorable thing to do is make a claim for shipping (you didn’t insure it) or refund the buyer. I did absolutely nothing wrong and am very experienced, enough to know what I can and can’t do.

Again, I sent you pictures of the damage on day one, you never responded. However, I’m willing to take the high road and take the loss, officially the first time I’ve been burned.

No, you sent a picture of the tube still wrapped in plastic wrap (as you did tonight). It wasn't possible to see if it was smashed or not. Yes, you did refuse. I offered in multiple DM's where you continued to insist I HAD to refund you immediately; that I was a joke; or that I was childish for my insistence to let a tech check it out. I'm not going to argue with you any further on the "scratchy pots" aspect. I received it with no scratchy pots. I sent it with no scratchy pots. I cleaned it to ensure it had no scratchy pots. I even offered to send a can of deposit to rectify it. But here we are, still arguing over scratchy pots while you hang onto the misinterpreted supposition of another individual's post.

No, you're not an "easy" dude. You berated my person in almost every message. You've refused to understand that undertaking the remedial repair effort you attempted should have been discussed prior to its use, not after. Here's why: You claimed the amp was malfunctioning which, in most instances, would place rectifying the issue squarely on my shoulders. I, the seller, would offer options to help fix it. One of those options might have been offering a refund after the amp had been shipped back. That means that I, as the seller, would not want ANYTHING MORE undertaken with the amp, regardless of your supposed guidance or whatever, so that I could have my own tech look at it to fix the issues. Again, you were the one who decided to progress beyond that and therefore assumed full responsibility for attempting to power the amp at half-power and any issue that it might cause by doing it improperly. As I've clearly said, had you waited for my response, I would have said NOT to do what you did. As a buyer, the honorable thing to have done is wait to undertake any form of non-normal operation of the amp until I gave my go-ahead considering the above. Instead, you took measures into your own hands.

Also, context:
- You sent a single picture of an obscured but supposedly smashed tube on day one. I don't live my life on rig-talk. I have a day job, too.
- You sent a single obscured picture of two tubes [tonight] again making impossible to see the damage.
- You insisted on an immediate refund without providing any proof of the issue in addition to undertaking a non-normal remedial technique that you didn't fully understand
- You refused/ignored my offer to purchase/send detoxit spray directly to your house
- You filed a PayPal dispute attempting to convey the transaction as fraudulent based upon the charge not being approved by you (which Paypal ruled against you fully)
- You weren't burned. Every DM will show your refusal to cooperate and your rejection of having a tech look at it despite my concerns of your carelessness in attempting to power it on with two potentially unmatched power tubes in the incorrect sockets.
- You're now playing "good-guy" while knowing fully how toxic and berating you were through our DM's.

I honestly think you may be a bit loopy. You have created a big scenario in your head that doesn’t exist. I’ve now sent you SEVEN pictures of damage and you can’t see it? Ok man. I’ve been burned. If I send someone an amp and there is issues, I do t create a situation. You treat the person with respect and do the right thing. I’ve never dealt with someone so difficult. Don’t want to refund me? Fine, I’ll fix the amp down the road. Can you at least throw me a quad of tubes so I can take it and get it fixed and biased? Geeeeeez dude.

fatbagg":199ibquc said:
I honestly think you may be a bit loopy. You have created a big scenario in your head that doesn’t exist. I’ve now sent you SEVEN pictures of damage and you can’t see it? Ok man. I’ve been burned. If I send someone an amp and there is issues, I do t create a situation. You treat the person with respect and do the right thing. I’ve never dealt with someone so difficult. Don’t want to refund me? Fine, I’ll fix the amp down the road. Can you at least throw me a quad of tubes so I can take it and get it fixed and biased? Geeeeeez dude.

Thanks for proving my point. :LOL: :LOL: :doh:

FYI, thanks for the THOROUGH pictures. :thumbsup:

I sent you pictures on day 1 still in the package so you knew I hadn’t tampered. You didn’t respond for two days. This is the third time I’ve had to take pictures man. I would refund someone without question. Obviously not your style.

Maybe the missing ingredient during your transaction was beer for both of you.

Seems to fix most things. :thumbsup:

Sorry. I'll leave you to it.

Monkey Man":d0smn1pt said:

Agreed! :thumbsup:

Please don't... :LOL: :LOL:

Monkey Man":1dssggin said:

I’m not mad at the guy, in fact I’d still have a beer with him and talk tone! This is nothing personal, just a matter of musicians taking care of each other in a trustworthy community.

Bleedback":3j2ooqcy said:
Monkey Man":3j2ooqcy said:

Agreed! :thumbsup:

Please don't... :LOL: :LOL:
I actually had the emoticon in there after the first sentence, then removed it 'cause I didn't want to risk offending you guys. :LOL: :LOL:

Never offended! There are more intense things in life!

TBH, this doesn't look good from either side.

Who deoxits a perfectly good pot? It seems clear the pots were scratchy (not unusual with a 5150) and were temporarily remedied with Deoxit. But the scrachiness will often return, which it did.

Its well known you can run an amp with 2 tubes without damaging it.

But how hard is it to send a clear pic of broken tubes? Or sorting out the issue with broken tubes, tubes are a relaceable item.

Instantly demanding a refund raises red flags, if you really wanted that amp then a couple of broken tubes shouldn't change that.

If Paypal doesn't side with you as a buyer then you presented a pretty weak case. They usually protect buyers at the seller's expense.

Hope you guys can find a compromise.

I agree. I sent pictures of tubes on day one, then again a few days later. Then again because he requested. I’ve sent a total of 7 pictures and he continues to say I was denying sending good enough pictures. The tubes weren’t the issue. The issue was when I turned the amp on and heard it, there are some obvious issues going on. He immediately (first response) responded saying by using two tubes I blew the transformer and it’s my fault. Right off the bat.

As far as PayPal, he denied a return, and for whatever reason when I messaged PayPal, the link they gave was for unauthorized payment, which is wasn’t. They shot that down, rightfully so. I will probably give them a call and put in for a refund if something doesn’t happen.

And again it’s three days of no response. Terrible person to deal with.

Back