Cameron CCV: Sound Clips Using Various Mics

keennay

Hey all,

This is my first (quick) take at trying to capture a 'live' tone from my guitar amps, what you'd hear while playing in the room. For this test I'm playing my Cameron CCV Pre-Production amp through two Marshall 16-ohm cabinets from the late 70's: a straight cab with Celestion G12H-30 Blackbacks & a slant cab with Celestion G12-65s. The guitar is an '89 ESP Kamikaze I with a Seymour Duncan Alnico II JB.

I'm using the stereo condenser mics on my Zoom H6 handy recorder as the room mics, with a Royer R-121 into one of the XLS ports & an AKG C414 XLS into the second port. Everything was recorded in one take and I've split the original into two recordings: the AKG + H6 & the Royer + H6. There's a good chance my next couple of clips will definitely have to be recorded in a room other than the basement... I hear a ton of reverb from the H6 track.

Let me know what you think! I'm leaning more towards the AKG C414 XLS combo.

For those interested, here's a link to the raw recordings in a 24-bit 96KHz format, which can be opened in Audacity:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbtimhvv32qsb ... est_01.zip

AKG C414 XLS (Close Mic) + Zoom H6 (Stereo Room Mic:)

Royer R-121 (Close Mic) + Zoom H6 (Stereo Room Mic:)

Cheers,
Nick

Much prefer the AKG! My favorite mic on guitar cabs is my old Rode NT2. I prefer condensers. A buddy of mine who's engineered everyone from Nick Lachey to Lynch to Ozzy is with me on condensers being his favorite mics as well. But there's just something about the way a 57 sits in the mix that works. I hate the sound of them soloed since they're so spiky. But they just sound good in a mix. Using Two Notes stuff now so to hell with all that micing nonsense! haha With that badass amp, I don't think you could make it sound bad no matter what you used though. :)

Back