Cameron Aldrich clip.

psychodave

I was liking the tone of that new Maxwatt amp, but the tone was familiar. So I turned on my Cameron Aldrich and took 10 minutes to learn a riff Jason (killertone) was playing. No double tracking or studio magic...just an iPhone. Looks like I just saved myself 3 grand. :LOL: :LOL:

To be honest, I wasn’t that impressed with the Maxwatt’s tone (his clips of the other Fortin stuff and even his KSR’s sounded much better to me), but yeah this Aldrich clip does capture a lot of that sound and is in some ways better. It sounds more raw and organic, which is to be expected since it’s an older Marshall. I myself have have an Aldrich (1979 JMP2203) and it’s killer! It’s the most growly amp I’ve ever heard

psychodave":2ga6frmk said:
maddnotez":2ga6frmk said:
I find this extremely awesome and comical all at the same time. Nice job man.

haha. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I just liked the clip Killertone made and discovered it sounds like my Aldrich...although I prefer the Aldrich tone a bit more.
Not disrespectful at all, it is what it is.

I just find it funny that the new Maxwatt sounds exactly like the old Cameron. Not a bad thing, just interesting to me.

Like Bill over at GAB said though, these are all similar to the old Jose amps. Would really like to hear Killertone Mic both of these and A/B

maddnotez":2ussiu42 said:
psychodave":2ussiu42 said:
maddnotez":2ussiu42 said:

haha. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I just liked the clip Killertone made and discovered it sounds like my Aldrich...although I prefer the Aldrich tone a bit more.

I just find it funny that the new Maxwatt sounds exactly like the old Cameron. Not a bad thing, just interesting to me.

Like Bill over at GAB said though, these are all similar to the old Jose amps. Would really like to hear Killertone Mic both of these and A/B

The Aldrich design is very different from the Jose mod. Aldrich doesn't use clipping and the Aldrich is actually a 4 gain stage plate fed tone stack circuit. I believe Mark came up with it in 1989 tinkering with his own amps. I do know that Norum uses one on his 1995 album. Of course this was before it was called an "Aldrich" mod.

I have no idea what's in the Maxwatt and if its an original design.

psychodave":1ruagvtn said:
maddnotez":1ruagvtn said:
psychodave":1ruagvtn said:
maddnotez":1ruagvtn said:

The Aldrich design is very different from the Jose mod. Aldrich doesn't use clipping and has a cathode follower gain stage (4 stages). I believe Mark came up with it in 1989 tinkering with his own amps. I do know that Norum uses one on his 1995 album. Of course this was before it was called an "Aldrich" mod.

Dave, Isn't the Aldrich a non cathode follower? It's interesting the Maxwatt prompted you to plug in the Aldrich for caparison, since the Maxwatt is 4 stages, plate driven stack, and non cathode follower I think. Your clip sounded close. I listened to it when you posted.

Something in the Maxwatt that still reminded me of a Hiwatt, or Wizard in the low end that I didn't hear in the Aldrich. The Aldrich sounds a little more compressed. Do you know what tonal effects 4 stages, plate driven stack imparts on the tone? Of course all other components matter, but I am wondering what 4 stages, moreso plate driven stack, non follower, does to the tone?

glip22":3g4xnqi9 said:
psychodave":3g4xnqi9 said:
maddnotez":3g4xnqi9 said:
psychodave":3g4xnqi9 said:
maddnotez":3g4xnqi9 said:

The Aldrich design is very different from the Jose mod. Aldrich doesn't use clipping and has a cathode follower gain stage (4 stages). I believe Mark came up with it in 1989 tinkering with his own amps. I do know that Norum uses one on his 1995 album. Of course this was before it was called an "Aldrich" mod.

Dave, Isn't the Aldrich a non cathode follower? It's interesting the Maxwatt prompted you to plug in the Aldrich for caparison, since the Maxwatt is 4 stages, plate driven stack, and non cathode follower I think. Your clip sounded close. I listened to it when you posted.

Something in the Maxwatt that still reminded me of a Hiwatt, or Wizard in the low end that I didn't hear in the Aldrich. The Aldrich sounds a little more compressed. Do you know what tonal effects 4 stages, plate driven stack imparts on the tone? Of course all other components matter, but I am wondering what 4 stages, moreso plate driven stack, non follower, does to the tone?

I might have it wrong. I’m racking my brain and I believe the Aldrich is actually a 4 gain stage plate fed tone stack circuit? I’m honestly not well versed in what shit is actually called, lol, especially the Aldrich.

I just was listending to Jason’s clip and liked it and tinkered to get close to that sound with my Aldrich. FWIW I had the gain 3/4ths up while Jason had his 1/2 way in the videos. I could have used a different setting to get more gain, but not like 1/2 a knob turn. lol. Of course I don’t know if the Maxwatt is using a reverse taper pot or anything changing the taper.

The Aldrich MOD is 4 gain stages, no CF, and plate driven TS

If one knows a lot of amp designs and if you knew the Aldrich MOD...it's very, very reminescent of another manufacturers design, fyi!!

psychodave":2dvx57vx said:
I was liking the tone of that new Maxwatt amp, but the tone was familiar. So I turned on my Cameron Aldrich and took 10 minutes to learn a riff Jason (killertone) was playing. No double tracking or studio magic...just an iPhone. Looks like I just saved myself 3 grand. :LOL: :LOL:

Very nice!

Which guitar and pickups were you using?

keennay":11j1jbwc said:
psychodave":11j1jbwc said:

Very nice!

Which guitar and pickups were you using?

Charvel with a Suhr Aldrich.

Equ1nox":2lqhq78f said:

If one knows a lot of amp designs and if you knew the Aldrich MOD...it's very, very reminescent of another manufacturers design, fyi!!

This is quite interesting. Can you please tell me who’s design it was?

Pseudo Drew Peterson":2ghxbay0 said:
Equ1nox":2ghxbay0 said:

You’re asking a guy who has completely ripped off Marks mods. :LOL: :LOL: ...just a long line of people who have. I know you don’t care about that while wearing your pink pussy hat. :LOL: :LOL: If he had any proof he would have posted it in his response already.

I noticed you failed to comment on the awesome tone I get. You’re nothing more than a troll...and an shitty one at that.

psychodave":3i3zjcy5 said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":3i3zjcy5 said:
Equ1nox":3i3zjcy5 said:

You’re asking a guy who has completely ripped off Marks mods. :LOL: :LOL: ...just a long line of people who have. I know you don’t care about that while wearing your pink pussy hat. :LOL: :LOL: If he had any proof he would have posted it in his response already.

I noticed you failed to comment on the awesome tone I get. You’re nothing more than a troll...and an shitty one at that.

Struck a nerve eh psychodave? I wasn’t asking you a damn thing. Btw you have sexy legs... :thumbsup:

And by the way, after reading your posts from previous boards, I can tell you that you are the biggest troll I have ever seen.

Time to get off Cameron’s cock buddy.

Back