Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Sep 26, 2020 1:20am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10, 2012 3:41am 
Hack

Are you human?: 951
hi all,

i had a power tube die in my tweaker 15 (6V6 got a short between pins 2 and 7) and since then it keeps blowing mains fuses no matter what i try. even with the power tubes removed and the amp in standby, it still blows the mains fuse as soon as i turn it on. power transformer? screen grid resistor?

it's still under warranty but i really want to avoid sending it back to the store cause it'll take weeks or months to get it back. i got it from an online store in germany.

is there anything else i can test or check by myself before i give up and send it back?

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10, 2012 9:21am 
Journeyman NOOB

Hi dylan2000

If it still blows the fuse with all tubes removed and in standby, that indicates a bad power supply (power trans, rectifier, filter caps), maybe because of the faulty tube.

Pins 2 and 7 are the heater for a 6V6, so maybe the 6.3 volt section of the power trans is the problem.

To be sure, pull all tubes including preamp and PI, to further isolate the supply. It sounds like a power supply problem to me.

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10, 2012 10:31am 
Hack

alright, thanks for the reply. i removed all of the tubes, 3 pre- and 2 power, and also removed the fast-blo HT fuse. mains fuse still blows.

i also pulled the chassis and didn't see any burned resistors anywhere near the power tube sockets. i'm clearly no expert but i should be able to spot a cremated resistor and i couldn't. and the two fuses on the PCB are fine.

am i screwed?

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10, 2012 5:44pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Seems that it might be a power trans problem.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12, 2012 2:14am 
Hack

dammit. back to the store it goes then. thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12, 2012 11:04pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Well, the same thing just happened to my 40 this morning/last night, except all of my tubes are good. :cry:

Initiated a claim, waiting for an RA to send in for repair. Man, I hope this doesn't take long! The tone was pretty darned nice, I am missing it already.

With mine, I played it last night for a couple of hours, shut it off, and this morning.....nothing. Looking back, it appears that the fuse blew when I shut it off last night and I didn't know it until I tried to power it up today. I thought that I heard an extra "click" sound when I shut off last night. I remembered thinking that it sounded like a relay click that I hadn't noticed before. :confused: I base this on the fact that when I pulled the tubes, replaced the fuse, and powered up, the lights in the room dimmed and the fuse blew. The lights didn't dim when I tried to turn it on this morning, so it seems that the fuse was already blown.

I still have my trusty BJr to use until....

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 13, 2012 3:46am 
Hack

holy sh… i'm so sorry man. i was going to order a rebel 20 to tide me over till i got my tweaker back but everywhere i look, i just keep seeing these stories about these amps dying.

i'm definitely not getting a rebel now, i don't like this back-of-the-mind feeling of always wondering if and when your amp is going to blow up and how badly.

there are enough inexpensive low-wattage tube amps around these days that there's no reason to deprive yourself of great tone. and a dead amp doesn't sound nearly as good as a working one.

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 18, 2012 6:11pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I've had my Rebel 20 for getting close to two years with zero problems. I've gigged and rehearsed the snot out of this amps and it's been nothing but rock solid. I have a friend who has a hand wired Marshall 18 watter that blows trannies quite a bit. He's replaced three in a year and a half. It can happen to ant amp manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed, May 09, 2012 10:03am 
Hack

Here is a fix that worked with my Tourmaster. It would blow the fuse every once in a while. The in-rush current spike is pretty intense on this amp. Every time I turned the amp on was probably like hitting the transformer with a hammer. There's a component called an NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) thermistor that varies resistance with temperature. It's simple to wire into your amp's mains circuit. It looks like a large ceramic capacitor about the size of a quarter. Wire it in series between the mains and the transformer and it stops the current spike at power up. As the NTC heats up, the resistance drops and everything works normally and the transformer didn't get punched in the gut. I have not blown a fuse since installing the NTC. I used a 1ohm 20 amp NTC. If anyone's interested, I can share more info.
Here's a link, too.
http://www.ametherm.com/inrush-current/ ... ntion.html

PostPosted: Mon, May 14, 2012 9:11pm 
Egnater Amplification

Did this get handled???

alex@egnateramps.com
nate@egnateramps.com

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 22, 2012 10:21pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Got mine back last week, new power transformer and so far it's working well.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2012 12:04pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Imagine this, it happened yet again! Same effing thing, looks like power transformer again. :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10, 2012 1:06pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

shimmilou wrote:
Imagine this, it happened yet again! Same effing thing, looks like power transformer again. :thumbsdown:

:no: :aww: That sucks man.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 6:55pm 
Hack

shimmilou wrote:

This happened to my Tweaker 40 head yesterday. Do you still have the amp and is it working?
I have owned my for 3 months and curious how Egnater assisted you. I'm waiting to hear back from them. Thx

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 7:05pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Head. And no, it's not working, that's why I said that it happened again.

The first time this happened, the power transformer was replaced under warranty. This is the second time and the symptoms are the same as the first, fuse blows with tubes removed. Looks like another power transformer. :lame:

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 21, 2012 9:27am 
Hack

Is Egnater going to repair it again for you?

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 21, 2012 10:08am 
Journeyman NOOB

We'll see. The first time, it took a while to get the RA number, took a while for me to package and ship, and took another while for the shop to get the transformer from Egnater.

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 15, 2014 7:27pm 
Hack

Hi,
My Tweaker 40 combo power (3.15A) blows immediately after replacement. From reading this post I am thinking its probably the power transformer. I have submitted some service requests to Egnater website and sent an email to Nate (Barret) at Egnater. Both with no response (yet). So, my question is this for those of you whom have had some experience from Egnater's 'customer service', which from reading some of these post seems to take some time. Its been about a week since I've submitted the initial request and I am wondering if it is even worth the headache of dealing with this ... Does anyone out there have some good experience(s) from Egnater's customer service? Is it worth the wait or am I going to be without an amp for some time and possibly deal with a frustrating experience? I live near Phoenix and there are some exceptional amp service people around here. I don't really want to fork out the money but I would like my amp in working condition and I really don't like dealing with poor customer service when I spent the money on the amp already. My amp is less then a year old and I haven't really used it that much ... mostly in my home studio. I have another amp I typically gig with, but was hoping to convert this one to a gigging amp now that I have some experience with the tone ... which I really like.

Also, I found this rather peculiar website offering 'upgrades' to Egnater's output and power transformers ...

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/c ... gnater.htm

Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems strange that if these transformers perform better why they don't come in the amp stock. They seem a little expensive compared to what I have seen and I just wonder if they are worth it.

Thanks for the time and responses. I will definitely be appreciating the feedback.

Cheers,
Dan

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16, 2014 8:27am 
Journeyman NOOB

Egnater refused to authorize a repair for mine the second time that it blew. If I had it to do over again, I'd say skip the poor customer service and worthless warranty and put in a MM trans. The list of available transformers for Egnater amps from MM has grown immensely, and rather quickly, so there must be a huge demand for them. Just browse this forum, too many transformer problems across the entire line of amps. I won't even look at the Egnater display when I go to any music stores now, and frankly, I feel like knocking over the displays. :doh:

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 16, 2014 9:52am 
Rock God

docdmartin wrote:
Hi,
My Tweaker 40 combo power (3.15A) blows immediately after replacement. From reading this post I am thinking its probably the power transformer. I have submitted some service requests to Egnater website and sent an email to Nate (Barret) at Egnater. Both with no response (yet). So, my question is this for those of you whom have had some experience from Egnater's 'customer service', which from reading some of these post seems to take some time. Its been about a week since I've submitted the initial request and I am wondering if it is even worth the headache of dealing with this ... Does anyone out there have some good experience(s) from Egnater's customer service? Is it worth the wait or am I going to be without an amp for some time and possibly deal with a frustrating experience? I live near Phoenix and there are some exceptional amp service people around here. I don't really want to fork out the money but I would like my amp in working condition and I really don't like dealing with poor customer service when I spent the money on the amp already. My amp is less then a year old and I haven't really used it that much ... mostly in my home studio. I have another amp I typically gig with, but was hoping to convert this one to a gigging amp now that I have some experience with the tone ... which I really like.

Also, I found this rather peculiar website offering 'upgrades' to Egnater's output and power transformers ...

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/c ... gnater.htm

Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems strange that if these transformers perform better why they don't come in the amp stock. They seem a little expensive compared to what I have seen and I just wonder if they are worth it.

Thanks for the time and responses. I will definitely be appreciating the feedback.

Cheers,
Dan

Very expensive but mercury sounds great. I've loved them in everything I've used them in. They are ultimate boutique quality.

They aren't stock because the amp would cost $600 more lmao.

The whole point of this egnater line is to build cheaply in china so more people can afford the amps.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

Here long before it sucked.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 04, 2014 2:00pm 
Hack

I got an Egnater amp even after reading about all the transformer troubles ..

"Tweaker 40" -- first impression, kind of dull sounding but after flipping through some switches I found some sweet spots and some punch. I normally play through Marshall & Fender & Mesa combos and I typically use a 1960AV 4x12. The feedback sustain I was getting in the hot channel was fun, but not as cool as if my 50 watt Marshall JCM900 were doing the same thing. Its just not even a fair comparison. However, I welcomed the addition to my tone pallet.

I had the T40 set at 16 ohm plugged into the 1960AV 4x12 mono. I had played for about an hour then set the amp on stand-by and left the room for 20 mins. When I came back, the pretty blue light was off. I checked the switches, still set to on and in stand-by but no lights and then found the main fuse was blown. This thing blew the fuse while on stand-by, because when I walked away the blue light was on. I tried the convenient spare fuse, immediately main fuse blew again. So from what I've read about others experiences, the power transformer is "blown." I am just glad this isn't my only amp.

I am not sure what I'll do since I traded for this thing. Guess the MM upgrade is my only solid option. I'd have to see if any of the amp techs around STL want anything to do with it but it would seem to be at a least a $200 non warranty repair for me. If it were a warranty repair I might go for it, but, not sure I'd want another likely to fail transformer.