Changes to newer 2015-2016 Egnater Tweaker 15's ?

changeling93305

Changes to new Egnater tweakers.

I had a tweaker around 2012, loved it great amp. It had some problems and eventually after having it fixed and it going bad again i sold it. Got an Egnater Rebel loved it and still have it. I always thought i might go back to the tweaker as they are a great value per tone. So i bought a new one recently.

Here is the issue i see with the new one. And i wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed significant sound changes from older Tweakers compared to the new ones ? This is the 15 watt model by the way.

Right off the back i see what the biggest change likely is. It is a different transformer entirely. This one says ELITE in big letters. The amp does not have the same bite as the old tweaker. I have the treble on 10, and the gain up high. And it still sounds nice but i feel like something has been lost compared to the old one. Not as much attack and bite to it. I have a good tone memory and the tone is just different in this one.

Also i briefly owned a Rebel Mark II. That amp sounds much worse than the Original Rebel. It lost it's 3D open sound to a tone that sounds more modern and and compressed. And not just in the high gain mode. Even in the classic mode.

And another new problem i have noticed is the amp stinks. I am hoping the smell will burn off. I left it on for a few hours while out of the room. I do not remember any outgassing with the original Tweaker. It's basically like a burning chemical smell. If i used it for hours in my closed bedroom i would get a headache. That is how bad the smell is.

So overall i'm a bit disapointed in Egnater had a good thing going, two amazing amps at great prices. And then no new amps for 4 years. And a crappier version of the new production models. I am on the fence whether to return it and find an old stock one.

The "new" tweaker with the Elite transformer does not sound as radically different as the Mark II rebel. It sounds though like i am still waiting for it to break in and sound the way it should.

Anyone else have any experiences between the first generation and the current generation of Tweaker amps?

Back