Egnater Mod50 volume drop issue

adrianni

Hello,

I have an Egnater Mod50 with two 6l6's. I biased the amp in accordance with the user manual (really nice feature).
From time to time there is a drop in volume. It is not sudden, it's more like it's fading out but eventually you can bearly hear it.
One time I approached the amp to shut it down but the volume came back. One time after shutting down I changed the V1 and it worked again for 3 days. This evening it did it again, I left it on for like 10 minutes but the volume stayed low. Shut down the amp, on again - nothing. Changed the V1, amps works fine. What am I missing here? I used only 12AX7 from my Mesa Boogie amps.
Thanks for your time

IIRC it's the loop jacks. Clean/Lubricate them and you'll be in business. Start by cycling a plug in the jacks a few times and see if that clears things up temporarily. If you crack open the chassis, be careful, there are dangerous voltages nearby. Good luck and report back.

I cycled a jack in the send return inputs of the amp but the amp has been working fine with no volume drop for the last 6 days. I guess I will check the solution again as soon as the amp does it again.
Thanks again for the answer, I will keep you all informed.

Intermittent loop jacks are common on tons of amps and even studio patch bays. It is the contacts on the jacks that become oxidized over time from not using them. Sometimes just pushing a plug in/out and few times fixes it. A proper cleaning also is more permanent.

Yes, indeed the amp has been working fine since I cleaned the jacks.
On a side note, I think this amp is truly amazing. I have a Friedman BE100, a Lonestar Classic, a Suhr Hedgehog and somehow the Egnater gets the most play time. Worth a closer look from anybody who wants a very good amp for a fair price.
Thanks again guys, I apreciate your time,
Adrian

Loved my MOD50. If I still played tube amps I would be right back into Bruce's modular system.

Back