Fender LSR Roller Nut

Len Rabinowitz

Anybody know anything about this? Thinking about putting this on my Strat since I use the whammy a lot. Word is it handles intonation issues well but some think it changes the sound; some don't like how it looks and don't like having all that metal at that end of the neck.

I'm thinking I will go with it, but thought I would get some feedback here.

Thanks!

;) :D :thumbsup: :scared: :confused: :rock:

I have a strat plus that originally came with the older (Wilkinson) roller nut, which couldn't handle string gauges above 9s. I replaced it with the LSR. It's great although I don't think it does anything special to make your intonation better. Between the locking tuners and the LSR the guitar stays amazingly in tune even with lots of whammy use. Soundwise I don't think it makes a difference. My strat has a thick solid maple neck so the sound was already pretty bright to begin with.

warlok1965":3tk4mqjv said:
I have a strat plus that originally came with the older (Wilkinson) roller nut, which couldn't handle string gauges above 9s. I replaced it with the LSR. It's great although I don't think it does anything special to make your intonation better. Between the locking tuners and the LSR the guitar stays amazingly in tune even with lots of whammy use. Soundwise I don't think it makes a difference. My strat has a thick solid maple neck so the sound was already pretty bright to begin with.
I should have stated this too but I forget sometimes :D The wilkinson did not cut it so I replaced it and yes the strat plus I had was a bright bitch!

"bright bitch" <== LOL yes this. I threw in some Texas Specials too because I couldn't stand the Lace Sensors. But my main baby is now my Anderson hollow drop top classic. That's another very bright axe, I'm still working on taming that sound through my Mod50.

Edit: Hey I was just down in Oxnard an hour ago picking up my TM212 from Guitar Center. The guys in there said nobody pays any attention to the Egnater gear except "the old guys who know what they're doing".

warlok1965":2klgxgoc said:
"bright bitch" <== LOL yes this. I threw in some Texas Specials too because I couldn't stand the Lace Sensors. But my main baby is now my Anderson hollow drop top classic. That's another very bright axe, I'm still working on taming that sound through my Mod50.

Edit: Hey I was just down in Oxnard an hour ago picking up my TM212 from Guitar Center. The guys in there said nobody pays any attention to the Egnater gear except "the old guys who know what they're doing".
Thad be me :D I have no clue what I'm doing half the time :D You some what local?Them Andersons are some nice pieces man!!They were my favs at namm and I go and buy a Suhr :LOL: :LOL: Very happy I may say!!

I'd probably try to score a neck with an LSR already in it.

It's surely not a easy retrofit, and is not easily reversible.

I really didn't love mine on my Strat Plus. I thought it sounded pingy.

jmgman69":3v44uhqk said:
Thad be me :D I have no clue what I'm doing half the time :D You some what local?Them Andersons are some nice pieces man!!They were my favs at namm and I go and buy a Suhr :LOL: :LOL: Very happy I may say!!

Yeah I'm up in Thousand Oaks. Tom Anderson's shop is actually right here in Newbury Park although I have never stopped by for a visit; I figure they are too busy making killer guitars to entertain a fanboy! I would be very happy with a Suhr as well though, they are awesome!

warlok1965":1tj0g6m5 said:

Mine is also the maple neck- I like the glassier tone it has.

I was told I don't need the locking tuners as I lock the strings the way I wrap them. I can always add them later.

Try as I might the damd thing slips out of tune, even with using graphite.

I do a lot of up-pulling as well as down-pushing, so that may be a factor as well.

I will admit I am a little nervous about making an undoable change to a custom shop guitar!

Thanks! :confused: :scared: :thumbsup:

jmgman69":34yao33k said:
warlok1965":34yao33k said:
I should have stated this too but I forget sometimes :D The wilkinson did not cut it so I replaced it and yes the strat plus I had was a bright bitch!

Strats are bright anyway- That might be OK. I have the Fender Hot Noiseless pickups on it if that makes any difference.

:doh:

RockStarNick":1fafhlyy said:
I'd probably try to score a neck with an LSR already in it.

It's surely not a easy retrofit, and is not easily reversible.

I really didn't love mine on my Strat Plus. I thought it sounded pingy.

I know Jeff Beck uses it, but he's so good he must be a space alien.

Any body know of any other recordings with a Strat that uses it?

Anybody got any recordings with it they are willing to share?

:D

I have one on my '08 Fender MIA Deluxe ebony fret board and have no problems. Its always stays in tune. I was looking for a 2008 maple neck with it for my '96 candy apple red lone star. It also has a maple neck but something about it doesn't feel right. Its hard to spend 400-500 on a new neck when I only paid 500 for the guitar. Going to be a Gilmour red strat. :D I also have a '08 MIA Standard with maple neck with out the lsr and that stays in tune. my string gauge is .08 or .09.

I’m not a fan of the LSR I’ve had two. The best set Strat setup I’ve found to be a bone or graphite nut with sperzal tuners with as little as possible string wrap and using a pencil on the nut slots.

I also block the tremolo but I use the felt blocks you would put on the bottom of chair legs. This stops the clonk sound when the tremolo would come back and hit the body. It also provides some give so that you can still pull up slightly but it will still stay in tune when you break a string.

I actually had the LSR nut on my Strat plus converted BACK to a regular nut.

They luthier had to fill in the gap with a block or rosewood, and then route out the nut slot again. For me, not being a huge trem user, doing that, and adding string trees, made the tone alot better.

How much whammying are you doing? Divebombs? Just a little bit of wiggle?

RockStarNick":31zmyruu said:
I'm curious about that too;
I played a guy's Am Strat yesterday at a jam (recent one, couple of years old, 2-point trem set floating, locking tuners, but no roller nut), and it didn't stay in tune at all as soon as I used the trem (ie couple dive bombs, shaking notes ala Blackmore, nothing too outrageous actually, considering my own Strat has an OFR). Really disappointing actually. Was it due to bad setup or user error (with locking tuners perhaps), or is just the Fender 2-point trem not staying in tune ?

NicD":hh6ro0yn said:
RockStarNick":hh6ro0yn said:
I'm curious about that too;
I played a guy's Am Strat yesterday at a jam (recent one, couple of years old, 2-point trem set floating, locking tuners, but no roller nut), and it didn't stay in tune at all as soon as I used the trem (ie couple dive bombs, shaking notes ala Blackmore, nothing too outrageous actually, considering my own Strat has an OFR). Really disappointing actually. Was it due to bad setup or user error (with locking tuners perhaps), or is just the Fender 2-point trem not staying in tune ?

Probably binding at the nut. It is common on Fenders. Needs some graphite or lubricant at the nut most likely.

OK thanks. A friend of mine had a Warmoth Strat with Sperzels and a VS100 which was staying in tune almost as well as my Classic FR Strat, so I figured it might no be the tuners. What about installing a graphite or Tusq nut on an off-the-rack Am Std Strat ? (I've been a Floyd guy for the last 10 years and consider switching to non-locking trems, hence my curiosity)

I have had both LSR nuts and graphite, etc. Honestly, I like them both. A well setup guitar really is key here. If you use graphite, make sure the slots are done right so the strings won't bind. Yes, graphite can bind strings too! LSR nuts are really nice also.

For me...the two things on a tremolo setup you need at least for me, is a Wilkinson tremelo and some sort of locking tuners (sperzel or schaller). The Wilkinson trem for me is key (and I have the 2 point and a 6 point wilkinson trem..both equally good)....as everything is locked in, so you have NO wiggle left to right...and no issues w/ intonation changing when changing strings. The biggest improvement for me was starting to use either sperzel or schaller tuners. I used to do the "locking wrap" on tuning pegs, but it would still slip and go out of tune. Once I started using sperzels or schallers...it one made changing strings WAY faster / easier, but I never got "string slippage" at the tuner any more. The graphite nut and LSR nuts really are both great, and I have guitars with both of them. I do notice the LSR having a bit different tone in the top end...beign brighter...but not THAT much. If installed properly, a graphite nut or LSR is a great setup.

I like both.

NicD":y5rxioq1 said:
Great stuff ! Much difference (in feel and tone) between 2 and 6 point wilkinson trems ?)

Feel yes...tone not really..but it's not apples to apples comparison. The 2 point has more of a feel like my Suhr Floyd does. Friggin smooth, and awesome. The 6-point has a more "vintage feel and tone" but with a more modern setup since everything is locked like the 2 point wilkinson.

I set my 6-point up to be like a 2-point...meaning...i have the 4 inside screws higher than the outside, to make it smoother feel.

I will say...I won't EVER have a non-floyd guitar w/o locking tuners. My Suhr has locking tuners also..and I just plain love it. Makes changing strings a breeze. I won't ever own another guitar w/o sperzel or schaller locking tuners honestly.

Back