tourmaster combo tube experiment (warning, LONG!)

A

Anonymous

so i finally was able to find some time and mess around with my new tubes. So, this is my Egnater Tourmaster 4212 Preamp Tubes experiment / recommendation / review

First, I labeled all my original preamp tubes (1-8) and my power section too ( i bought a quad of ruby tubes..more on that later). i used my 1992 les paul studio lite with m3 electronics. it has an alnico 2 pro humbucker in the neck, a duncan duckbucker in the middle and a duncan screamin' demon in the bridge. it also has graph tech string saver saddles and all upgraded wiring (i used a higher grade belden wire when i rewired the PUPS 10 years ago). also, i like a more hard hitting, and actually sterile, consistent sound in my hi-gain...or so i thought! ( my previous rig was a mesa heartbreaker that i just couldnt get dialed in, and before that i had 2 digitech 2101's thru a mosvalve 982 single rack power amp. i was pretty used to a sterile processed sound, so i set out to achieve that with some character? maybe? haha. i've also played a TON of amps, as i've said on her before, searching for the right one)

orginally, based on recommendations i found here and on the net, I got a jjecc83 for V1, a tungsol for v2, a 12axb shaguang for 3 and a matched (it has handwritten 97 on the label) sovtek lps for the v8 PI. i figured, even if the amp DIDN'T need a balanced PI tube (i dont know enough about this particular amp, and it's hard to find info on it currently) the extra 5.00 bux wasn't going to kill me. some places i've read say go get the balanced, some say it's a waste of money. In the end, as you'll read, I think it made a big difference in feel and presence.

my channel volume settings stayed around 2 oclock and the master around 1-2. each of my tourmaster channel volume settings has a sweet spot of around 2 oclock, where things really open up and start to thump, sing and hit harder..and feel better...even when im backing off on the master amp volume a bit. Master wise, the sweet spots there, or where i like the sound and feel is right around 1 oclock...from there on, it just gets bigger, fuller and stronger sounding. It also sounds good at lower volumes, but the magic in this amp is like I said above..channel volumes around 2, master around 1-3. REALLY fucking loud.

first up, i put the sovtek LPS in the PI and noticed an immediate increased feel on the OD2 channel, and what seemed to be faster response at high volumes. fantastic, this is part of what i was looking for, as i felt this amp was slightly "cold" or bland sounding and sluggish feeling attackwise, even though i was biasing the stock GT 5881's at 132. i also noticed a slight difference in treble response too...but i wont completely attribute it to the tube, or not, as my ears were ringing from playing 2 hours at pretty loud volume...I'm going to check that though and see, once my ears have rested. On the clean channels, they just "felt" better (i use that term a lot about my amps..feel is really important to me). i could dig in, or lay back, and it was just better all the way around with the LPS. i dont like terms like bubbly, sparkly, and shimmery when i refer to amps, because everyone hears those terms differently. what i CAN tell you though, is that there was a marked difference on the clean channels with the sovtek LPS in v8 when i was fiddling with the power grid, as opposed to the grid really not feeling like it made a difference with the gtecc83s that was in there. It felt and sounded differently on each grid setting, which was nice. All in all, I think for this amp, or type of amp (anyone care to input why?) the Sovtek balanced LPS was a definite winner.

I put the recommended tubes in position, turned the amp on...WOW, not what I expected. more of a vintage distortion (not what I'm after at all) and major MUD in my cleans. hated it immediately on the cleans, messed with both OD's, and decided I'd go back stock (what I'm used to) and start from square one.

On to V1. I tried the JJ ecc83 in V1, and it was just not big sounding. at all. the stock tube sounded better, so I put it back after about 10 minutes. I just didn’t like the sound and didn't feel that it was tonally better than the Stock, it did lend a vintage feel. So I eventually moved it to v2, v3 and v4. It gave me a basis of what I didn't want, which was more of a "not better than the GT stock tubes" not a "not good enough" distortion wise. So I took a long shot and put it in V5 (contour circuit buffers for the OD channels). WOW!! JUMPIN JAHOSAFATS!!!!. FINALLY, OD2 comes alive!! seriously, what a difference. I have to also mention, I've previously tried two different sovtek 12ax7WA's in here, and they weren't the answer. The JJ added a good bit more control to the contour knob. Pushing the contour button in, and the knob all the way to the right (minimal contour setting IMHO) REALLY made the mids come alive, and made this amp even louder! Not a hurtful loud, just more cutting (obviously) and smoother. With the contour knob around 12-2, unlike before, it started to dial out some of the mids and hi mids and added some metal bite. between 9-12 is where the harder metal lies with the JJ in the contour v5 position. Incredibly deep, HEAVY thick metal sounds...and, I didn't even touch my other tone knobs!! Between 7-9, its just insane scooped....I can't explain it fully, but, I might be hanging around in that range, as I have it set around 7, with my mid knob at 12....Seriously, with my volume settings, it was like someone was whomping me in the chest with a 10 foot baseball bat made of air!! Felt good, sounded gooder, and all in all, was just more better-er. There was an added depth to the bass, mids, and high end...Hard to explain, again but it just made both OD channels sound deeper, and added some Mid shelving grain, and it also took away some of the muddy "high gain tube saturation" that the stock GT had in the v5. Also, I noticed more of a "tubey-ness" sound to the amp combined with that lovely mid range growl I love, but found so hard to dial in before on just about every tube amp i tried. All from one tube change!!! - V5 stock groove tube 12'ax7s to JJ ecc83-s. And that was only OD2. OD1 sounds so good now though. I didn't mess with it for an hour like OD2, but to sum up shortly OD1 is now a clearer, round sounding gain. Very tubey and pronounced but not annoying mids, awesome biting highs, and REALLY thumpy bottom end were noticeable. With this tube overall, in both OD channels, theres just more harmonic halo to notes, deeper resonance, better control with the tone, and more tube sound. truly, a home run with the JJ in this position.

at that point, I almost DIDN"T want to keep fucking around with the rest of the tube positions with the other 2 tubes I had...the tung sol and the chinese 12ax7b.

I put the tungsol in V1, expecting big things. I was disappointed. It was fuzzy and mushy, almost like a stock dual rec, which, personally, I just despise the sound of. it took away all the EQ definition that the JJ achieved 10 mins before....and really only added some unwanted gain, which, I really didn't want to change about my cleans where they were at, and the OD's have plenty to spare. The mushiness in the bass, and fuzz are not my taste distortion wise. so I moved it on to v3 (logically, where v2 SHOULD be, so I just plugged it in!!). THERE! that's the bit of difference I could learn to like!! I could hear MORE tube (I absolutely LOVE that mid range tubeness that is just magical when it appears...it did, and I fell in love!!! ) There was less fuzz, and an added bit of sustain and harmonics. There WAS SOME mushiness bass wise, but I was able to dial it out with the bass knob and a tweak of the contour to my liking got it back to tight and thumpy. Just for SnG (shits in giggles) I moved the tung to v2, but it just didn't sound as good... the tung in the v4 added mid rangy feedback (not squeal, just more howl and inherent instrument/amp feedback at high volume) and took away what I liked about it in v3, so I put it back. Now, to find the spot for the shaguang 12ax7b....

after the let down with the tung in v1, I was almost ready to call it a night. I bet most of you reading this by now, wish I would have. I didn’t.

I put the shaguang in v1, let it warm up, and turned it on. sonic heaven. I FINALLY found MY tube sound. wait. what was that? wtf?? when rolling off on my volume, I could hear a squeal going on, a low volume, hi pitched squeal. I put my finger on the tube, and it went away. but I had to push hard. I'm guessing it was micro phonics. FUCK ME! I could go on forever about how good this tube sounds in v1, but I wont. what I might do is use it there at lower volumes though, even though it really doesn't shine like it does with my volumes pumped like I like them. I was irritated. I put the stock GT back in and moved it to v3.

livable. actually, save for having it in v1, the shaguang in v3 sounded the best of all. with the current tube combinations in positions that I mentioned above...it just adds more...I don’t know how to describe it. it adds more "me". more touch, more metal, more TUBE distortion, less oversaturated gain, mids that jump out and growl...

unfortunately, my video camera wont stream to this computer so I cant put up some clips for you guys to check out.

next up was the power swap.

the stock GT 5881's were floating bias wise (i.e. , Id set them at 132, and an hour later after playing, they had either went up, or went down. I was told it was a bad tube..) I recently bought that set of ruby 6l6strs for 50 bux from GTR center. I put them in, put the amp on standby, went up and ate dinner. turned it on, biased it at 132, and went back upstairs while they burned in for about 15 mins. don’t know if I needed to at all, or longer, I just did it that way.

the first thing I noticed with the ruby 6L6's,, in combination with the new v8 PI tube, this amp responds faster than I ever thought it would!! WOW!!! holy WHAA!!! and compared to the GT power tubes, it also sounds better at lower volumes with the tube grid settings on lower power in all channels. the GT5881s (possibly, they may have been just worn) WERE more boomy, which I liked a LOT... but less consistently were that way due to the floating bias..sometimes it went down as far as 110 from 132 after an hour or so playing it. I just checked the bias on the rubys and they were sitting idle at 126, so there was some float, possibly a burn in issue? they have maybe 1.5 hours on them, and no time on them opened up and cranked. after about 10 hours, I'll report back.

that's about it..overall, I'd go back to the groove tubes. I really like the way those 5881s sounded and felt with that 4-7 rating once I put the LPS in the PI position, so, I may go back, or try mixing the ruby's do sound to me to be more focused and transparent..allowing for more of the preamp tube tone to shine through, which, I will have to come back and talk about later. Just not enough experience overall yet with the newer tubes...the groove tubes seemed to add some of their own color...not bad at all...actually, I liked them, but for 50 bux for a quad of 6l6's, what the hell right? I just might mess around with mixing the 2 types like I said...ruby's in the inside and Gt's on the out or vice versa, to see what I like/what feels best. I have a mesa green 6l6 laying around, I might even mix that in there.

for sure, I like my options now with this amp better than ever...and, initially, it was already a versatile and nice sounding amp that I liked, and had high hopes for. now I LOVE the sound of this amp on OD2. it's a powerful amp, for sure, and with some new tube experimenting, some of you guys might find some tonal bliss like I did last night.

my next move will probably be to order 2 more shaguang 12ax7b 's and an electroharmonix or 2. I might go with 2 of both, and see what that brings.

for now, I'm loving my tube amp!!

a for sure recommendation would be get the sovtek 12ax7lps and put it in the PI slot, try a JJ ecc83 in the v5 slot, and mess around with the other tone slots with whatever you have laying around.

I REALLY hope I can find a quiet Shaguang 12ax7b...or, go on living life wanting after THAT sound for ever hahahha!!

thetubestore.com for the pre's

and GC online for the Rubys.

the ruby's are much tighter feeling and sounding, as i mentioned above, so i mixed them. i put w GT's on the outside to even out the response and add some "whomp" back into my sound.

now, it's about as finely tuned as i care, and actually matched up with my rg550 nicely as is, and my rg770 with minor tweaking.

all i need now is a noisegate, a delay and im good to go.

oh, and some soundproofing for the basement :rock:

yeti":1qsztfmo said:
thetubestore.com for the pre's

and GC online for the Rubys.

the ruby's are much tighter feeling and sounding, as i mentioned above, so i mixed them. i put w GT's on the outside to even out the response and add some "whomp" back into my sound.

now, it's about as finely tuned as i care, and actually matched up with my rg550 nicely as is, and my rg770 with minor tweaking.

all i need now is a noisegate, a delay and im good to go.

oh, and some soundproofing for the basement :rock:

I've ordered from the Tube Store before.
The product was excellent.
The last set I got was from my local electronics shop..... meh
The next time I'm going to order from Eurotubes and see whats up.

ive heard good and bad about eurotubes. so, i took the recomendation of a friend and ordered from the tubestore.

i can tell you, every step of the way on the order process, i was notified of "packed, shipped, tracking"
that was nice.
they packd well.

i found a place that has the shuguangs really cheap. im gonna buy about 4 of them and see if i can get a quiet one, or a quieter one, as i REALLY prefer the shuguang sound in v1, the tung sol in v3 and the GTs in 2 and 4

hell, that's what its all about, the tone search. dont get me wrong, there were good points to the tung sol in v1, and if i ever join a classic rock band, thats what i'll tube the whole preamp with. but for now, i like my heavy tones they way they are....unlessi can get them heavier! :gethim:

yeti":1p8injya said:
ive heard good and bad about eurotubes. so, i took the recomendation of a friend and ordered from the tubestore.

i can tell you, every step of the way on the order process, i was notified of "packed, shipped, tracking"
that was nice.
they packd well.

i found a place that has the shuguangs really cheap. im gonna buy about 4 of them and see if i can get a quiet one, or a quieter one, as i REALLY prefer the shuguang sound in v1, the tung sol in v3 and the GTs in 2 and 4

hell, that's what its all about, the tone search. dont get me wrong, there were good points to the tung sol in v1, and if i ever join a classic rock band, thats what i'll tube the whole preamp with. but for now, i like my heavy tones they way they are....unlessi can get them heavier! :gethim:

I've seen that shuguang pop up on several boards with alot of good comments from people.
I'm going to have to give it a try eventually.
I dont care for the Tung Sol either... way to bright and brittle.
But I remember the JJ's sounding very nice in the V1 slot of my previous amps. I havent tried one in my Rebel 30 yet.
Right now I'm running a new production Mullard in V1 and the stock Sovteks in the rest. Got a GT-C in the PI.
I'm happy.
One thing for sure is I dont like anything by EH. Pre or power.......

you are correct...plugged in a JJ 803s in v5...big difference for the better....more of that violin type of sustain I've been looking for
thanks for the tip.

next, get that sovtek 12ax7lps in the v8 slot when you can.

move the rest of those stock groove tubes around. label them first though, so you can always "zero" back in.

some of my stock GT's sound better in differrent positions too.

my next experiment with this amp is to stereo it off my pedal board:

wah-sansamp gt1(for boost)-stereo chorus ------a. my solid state rig, which is a behringer v-amp rack into a mosvalve stereo power amp. b. to the tourmaster with a 7 band eq in front of it.

i'll post my results

really bummed that i cant get my vids to upload to the computer...as, we just had a baby yesterday, and i have footage that i need to preserve.

anyone else roll any different tubes in this amp lately?

i actually am sitting on the sovtek 12LPS now. i put one of my old sovtek 12ax7wa's in there (the less gainer one) in the PI and it sounds a bit deeper on the definition end. weird. i was about to throw that tube away! hhaha i put the other one in the reverb slot, and it took away some of the overbearing watery sound..i like it more subtle, so its staying for now.

i also moved some tubes around (of course), but currently, i'm stuck with the way i had it, save for having a brand new LPS that im not using right now.

v1 groove tube (stock)
v2 shuguang 12ax7b
v3 tunsol reissue
v4 groove tube (stock)
v5 jjecc83s
v6 Reverb sovtek 12ax7wa
v7 stock groove tube
v8 sovtek 12ax7wa

gonna order some more shaguang 12ax7b, a few electroharmonix, a few svetlanas, some nos and a few mullards.

ahhh....loving these tubes!!

My GT in V1 blew the other day, so I put a Tung Sol in there. Sounds good!

Also took the back panel off. Not sure I hear a huge difference, but I am gonna leave it that way for now.

:rock:

i think i have a bunk tung sol. i really do. compared to what i've heard about them, mine sounds nothing like it.

Ive tried tung sol tubes in a few amps. Just dont get what everyones raving about, Ive ripped them back out almost straight away.

the reissue is the one i have. i just dont like it. rolled it again last night, and it just doesn't sound like i like a sound to be. i guess i can live with it, i'll just probably end up replacing it.

so, i ended up dropping the one i had and it brokededed, and got a different one. same thing. tests bad, sounds muddy. not for the TM amp, thats for sure.

i digress.

it sounds fine in slot #3 (which by the way, seem to control the clean channels)...not too bright, not too muddy.

V1 i put a high testing Vintage old stock baldwin/sylvania long plate (the one with 6 holes per plate).

V2 i have settled on an NOS mullard

V3, i go back and forth between a lot of tubes, but usually end up with the tung sol or the original stock grv tube

V4 is an amperex orange globe from w germany. i have a white holland bugle boy, and it sounds killer there too.

V5 JJ is still perched in the contour position, and really does a great job separating the bass and treble..moreso than any of the other 40 tubes i tried there.

V6 is the reverb driver and i switched the stock GT back in there for now, since i dont have reverb, and i need to get the transformer replaced and go from there.

V7 is the stock GT also

V8 i went back to the sovtek LPS...it just sounds fuller and bigger there than that dying sovtek 12ax7wa did.

i have a gamut of chinese silver dragons that all test differently gainwise, and some other "sets" of like tubes im going to run through...but i've actually been focusing more on playing and getting used to power tube saturation rather than preamp gain...which is a whole nother ballgame considering....

i do feel though, in about 7 short months, i've really educated myself on tubes and feel confident i could maybe recommend preamp tubes based on my findings in this amp at least.

really, you cant go wrong with those sylvania long gray plates with 6 holes in them..routinely labeled baldwin, they go on ebay for .99-10 bux. i dont pay more than 10 for a preamp tube on the bay, period, so a lot of mine have been obtained for under 5$...i have 6 of them that all test NOS, but are used, so they're VOS (vintage old stock)....and have slotted 4 of them in the 4 main positions ...the tone was really good...a great starting point with my VOS's.

Back