Waiting is driving me nuts...Tour Master

i got my power plant the other day, and reinstalled it.

i really missed my amp... but now, my reverb isnt working again?!?!?!

it wasn't when i first got the amp, then i got it working thinking one of the posts/clips was loose, so i soldered them. now it's not working again. bummer, as i LOVED the reverb this amp had.

i thought i had my combo speakers broken in, but, holy crap are they icepicky again. wow.

I've had my Tourmaster going on 1 year. While playing, friend of mine helped me to dial in some great sounds. For C1, bumped it to 50 watts for headroom. Sounds great. I prefer my pedal OD going through C1 than C2. Just sounds better. I'm getting great amp OD on OD1 and have found a home for amp OD2. No problems with the Tourmaster at all. This is one great amp. Friend of mine, who plays Marshalls, played on a "Clearance" Tourmaster at local GC. He highly complimented the sounds and versatility of the Tourmaster. Can't express how happy I am with this amp. I'm getting really nice cleans as well great amp OD. BTW, I changed out tubes not too long ago with the replacement set from Eurotubes. For the price point, features and versatility, can't beat the Tourmaster.

20 month review.

Have never had any issues as far as break downs go.
I discovered just last week that the contour on OD2 doesn't work. I don't know how long it hasn't worked for as Ive never used it apart from when I first got the amp and that was only to see what it did. I didn't like what it did. Others would though.
I did one tube swap when I first got it and haven't touched them since.
Its done a few gigs now. It doesn't look new. I'm not very good at looking after gear. If it came with a cover it would look newer. If I bothered to have one made or made one or sourced one it would look newer.
Ive gone between it and a Fender and a Mesa Lone Star. I only use one od pedal with the TM and 3 ods with the Mesa and Fender.
For me the TM is a rock amp and the other two are more bluesy.
If I could devise my perfect amp it would have elements of all three amps. From the TM the OD1, OD2 and the vintage/modern switches. Also the density control. I adjust that depending upon venue and volume.
The clean/vintage channels 1 and 2 are alright and perfectly useable but not my ideal clean but I'm certain that's just a personal preference. I still find them completely interchangeable. I could use either but I use channel one mainly.
Thats about it. Ive set it against lots of amps in a/b comparisons and it holds up very well.
As I said, Im not delicate with gear, Im rough with it. I dont know why. But despite my ambivalence and rough handling the TM is still going and shows no sign of being any worse off for my disregard for its well being.

Cheers, have a nice day :)

good to hear man! cheers on that, heres to another bunch of years on top if it!!!!!!

ive found that i much prefer my TM combo with the back open. it just sounds better to me...

26month review.

Still goes, no problems. I like ch3 and 4 more and more. Clean (either channel) is totally acceptable.

Good amp. Heavy. Using 212 v30 cab. Sounds good.

i've been playing mine with lower, and lower gain levels, but more volume on channel 3.

holy GnR tones in there man!

especially with el34's on (full power only). get some cold rated 34's though...not hot ones...they mush up the amp too much.

34 month review. almost 95% of 3years.

It still goes. No problems.
Everything does what its meant to except the contour button on od/2. Never use it so thats no problem. I like mids. Theyre loud and useable.
Sold it once then got it back. Good thing.
Gigged it, practiced with it, carted it around thousands of km's.
I think its past probation stage.
Its an amplifier. It amplifies things. Does what the instruction manual says.

If you have doubts about this amp as a device that may suit you its hard not to be put off by the negative posts about it. I think most people that have one and have never had problems with theirs simply dont post about it.
Even after owning this for a while I was still put off by a lot of people posting about their problems with it. It took me a while to realize that this amp had never failed and I had used it quite regularly for 2years.
It was the negative comments about its reliability that made me unsure about it. But here it is 3yrs later and still going strong.
Im sure Im not the only one that has had this experience.

I have a fender amp that is 32 years old and has been used non stop for that long with only one service. Thats my benchmark.
The Tourmaster has a long way to go to reach similar stats but I feel confident using it after 3yrs of unfaltering service.

Thanks

People who post are often the extremes- It's the greatest thing ever, or the worst piece of junk ever created. We live in an age of too much information and too easy communications. Had Internet been around in the 50's, 60's, and 70's I suspect we would have heard some similar things about those amps. The ones that are still around are the ones that have survived. Think about how many of those old amps are dead as door knobs. Some of them are great, no doubt, but I am willing to bet that the overall quality and consistency is better these days.

I had a Tourmaster for years. Great amp, very little trouble with it.

My two cents.

And I still have my 4100, the TM 2-12 cab, & my Rebel 30 combo.
Just hosted a "tone" party. 5 guys bringing over an amp or 2, tons of guitars.
Abilities from intermediate to expert, younger shredders to old guys playing hot jazz.
Fun as hell.
Of course everyone loves the 4100. Channel 3 & 4 blew most everyone away.
The big surprise....was a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 clean channel.
It is missing some of the top end over-tones with single coils that comes from
the Rebel 30 clean, but was surprisingly good.

Duff

channel 3 on the tourmaster can do any tone.

unless you want supersaturated shit scooper. then just put a metal zone in front of it.

believe it or not, it sounds really good for EVERYTHING i play. metal. rock. clean. you just gotta dial it in.

with the amp master up around 2-3....things really start to open up tonally.
not a bedroom amp, but NOT a "not a bedroom amp"....i just like mine loud!

Hi. OP here. Just popping back into his thread to update.

40 months in.

It still goes. Nothing else has stopped working. Just the ch4 contour button I mentioned in my last post.
Its had a lot of playtime. I dont use it all the time. I have other amps I like as well so playtime does get shared around.
Channel 3 is still my favorite channel. Channel 1 is my preferred clean. Its a big clean. Trouser rattling punch.
The knobs are all still on it and the tolex has held up well. The cream tolex has some marks. Unavoidable.

See you in 6months

Hi. Another update.
53months in.

Still goes, still heavy, still no contour control on ch4. Tolex more marked.
Channel three is awesome.
Replaced 1st three preamp tubes about 9months ago because I thought I should. Didnt make any difference.
Great work horse amp.

The preamp tube that is the fourth one over from the power tubes is specifically for the contour circuits. Could be why the contour doesn't work? The is a tube chart at egnateramps.com

bruce egnater":kfg08jgz said:
The preamp tube that is the fourth one over from the power tubes is specifically for the contour circuits. Could be why the contour doesn't work? The is a tube chart at egnateramps.com
Thanks for the info.
Its been a year since you posted and I still havnt tried what you suggested but I just dont use the contour control at all.
So 67months or 5yrs and 7months review.
It still goes. Sounds good. Hasnt been an drama's with it. Its still heavy and great for building up the core muscles.
Have a great day.

Thanks for the info.
Its been a year since you posted and I still havnt tried what you suggested but I just dont use the contour control at all.
So 67months or 5yrs and 7months review.
It still goes. Sounds good. Hasnt been an drama's with it. Its still heavy and great for building up the core muscles.
Have a great day.
Sold it 2017. The guy who bought it off me had it for 3weeks and it exploded taking out a city block, a low flying aircraft and a ship on the harbour.

I had a good run with it.

Back