Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Dec 12, 2018 1:16am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 3:00pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
I've got Makes Them Disappear and I'm Broken down so now it's time to get my tone adjusted. I am not trying to copy his sound and don't have his pickups or amp. My goal primarily is to get the EQ as close as possible. I read he used a parametric EQ as a boost in front of his amp and for lead tones he used a flanger. As it would translate to my gear, I have a BE100, 5 band EQ pedal to put in the loop, and a Strymon Mobius. If someone knows accurately how he dialed in his low, mid, and high frequencies that would help a lot.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 3:34pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Dimes tone is one noisey SOB. I had a PQ3 and the whole shebang front of my Marshall and I couldn't stand the noise and hated the whole setup but YMMV. But it was fun to try. Dime was also know to use the old blue MXR 6 band like EVH used. I would say use the BE channel turn your gain down on it and run your EQ up front into the input to tighten and drive your gain stages of your amp like dime did then adjust amount of gain on the amp once you get your frequencies dialed in, I don't know how he ran his EQ's I would guess to boost the mids in the 800 1000Hz range. Then run an ISP decimator in the loop to gate the noise cause it's gonna hissssssssssssssss and most of all you need a Bill Lawrence USA L500XL pickup but other high output pickups will get you close just not exact.

The Randall solid state heads ran three gain stages like a Marshall JMP JCM 800 but with mosfets to clip instead of 12ax7 tubes.

I should also add I ran this setup in front a a Randall amp like dimes and I still hated it. I think Dimes tone translated well in the studio. I seen him live on the Reinventing the Steel tour and his live tone sucked, it was thin and not crushing at all like you hear on the albums. I am sure alot of people on here know more but that was my experience and I think you should be able to get somewhat representative with the BE channel and the right EQ with more bottom end then Dime ever had live. The clips of the new Randall Rg1503 seems to get the closest of the new Randall's but you don't see them for sale anywhere if you're on a Dime quest, Ola got very close with that amp, check out the vids.

What pickups are you running?

Last edited by harddriver on Tue, Mar 13, 2018 4:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 3:41pm 
Supah Stah

You need a parametric EQ BEFORE the amp and the six band in the loop set in a V shape sucking the mids, I’d run 2 gates, one after the parametric and one after the graphic in the loop. The parametric will be boosting mids at a narrow bandwidth. The Randall is really needed.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 4:13pm 
Plank Cranker

paulyc wrote:
You need a parametric EQ BEFORE the amp and the six band in the loop set in a V shape sucking the mids

he ran both eq's out front, the 6 band in a frown shape. his mids were always on 4 or so every picture ive seen of his rig, and most live vids his tone isnt as scooped as on the records. im guessing they did a lot of scooping while mixing

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 4:25pm 
Journeyman NOOB

RaceU4her wrote:
paulyc wrote:
You need a parametric EQ BEFORE the amp and the six band in the loop set in a V shape sucking the mids

he ran both eq's out front, the 6 band in a frown shape. his mids were always on 4 or so every picture ive seen of his rig, and most live vids his tone isnt as scooped as on the records. im guessing they did a lot of scooping while mixing

Yes I think there is something definitely going on in the mids that's hard to figure out. At first I thought it was low mids but tried that, then tried scooping the low mids and increasing the high mids but still not there. I don't know what frequency range the mids live but I know I hear deceptively more mids than most people seem to attribute to his (studio) tone.

I'm really not looking to copy his tone. I just want to get the EQ in the right places to do a couple of Pantera covers with a decent tone profile instead of using a generic metal tone.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 4:32pm 
Plank Cranker

i have an old guitar world where his tech was interviewed, if i remember right he says the flanger/doubler he used was always on and a big part of his tone as well as mounting the 500xl's backwards

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 4:58pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I have no idea if this has anything to do with this or not... zero knowledge, so please ignore if this is irrelevant...

Flangers set to a really slow speed (or with the modulation turned off) can act like a comb filter and do really weird (cool) things with the mids. It's sweeping this comb filter that gives flangers their jet-like sound and, if you stop that movement (or almost stop it), it will significantly boost extremely narrow bands while significantly cutting other extremely narrow bands. I have no clue... at all... if this is anything close to what Dime was doing, but... if he had that MXR Flanger/Doubler on all the time... I've never really heard a lot of modulation in his tone (except where it's obvious, of course), so if he had the speed all the way down, maybe this explains why it's difficult to get the exact sound with just the two EQs.

Anyway, like I said above, I have absolutely no idea if this is/was the case. Just thought I'd throw it out FWIW (which isn't much). :)

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 5:13pm 
Plank Cranker

Which Dimebag tone? Lol. His tone changed quite a bit over the years. You really need a Randall for that dry SS tone. Right now I use a Randall Century with a 10 band in the loop and the old blue MXR in front. That mxr is very key, but it’s a noisy bitch. I get very close. Still need a flanger/doubler. Easiest way is to get the Randall X2 full stack, put it on the Dime settings and turn it up. Loudest fucking amp I ever had, but it needs both matching cabs to sound right. That one got the cops called on me more than once. Lol

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 5:57pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

RaceU4her wrote:
i have an old guitar world where his tech was interviewed, if i remember right he says the flanger/doubler he used was always on and a big part of his tone as well as mounting the 500xl's backwards

Ola said this in his video and now you... about mounting the L500XL backwards... whaaaaaaaaaaaa :confused: Aren't both coil winds the same on a BL 500XL. Is there really much of a difference if so what????? I have heard alot of Dime discussion over the years and never heard of him doing this. I guess I didn't dig deep enough to uncover this tidbit of info. Ola is running a frown on the MXR then I guess into the PQ4 then into the Randall HT100. I had the Randall HT 100 when I tried the whole PQ3 thing but i never went as far as getting a L500XL. I couldn't stand the noise, let says I like Dimes tone form him. Me not so much... I am a Marshall guy thru and thru, but I did try most of the main pieces of Dimes tone enough to find that I personally did not like it. I like it when Ola gets it though... :rock:

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 6:27pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

This kid gets a hell of a Dime tone Seymour Duncan DImebucker > MXR 6 band > PQ4 then into the Randall ES200.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 6:30pm 
Plank Cranker

harddriver wrote:
RaceU4her wrote:

Ola said this in his video and now you... about mounting the L500XL backwards... whaaaaaaaaaaaa :confused: Aren't both coil winds the same on a BL 500XL. Is there really much of a difference if so what????? I have heard alot of Dime discussion over the years and never heard of him doing this. I guess I didn't dig deep enough to uncover this tidbit of info. Ola is running a frown on the MXR then I guess into the PQ4 then into the Randall HT100. I had the Randall HT 100 when I tried the whole PQ3 thing but i never went as far as getting a L500XL. I couldn't stand the noise, let says I like Dimes tone form him. Me not so much... I am a Marshall guy thru and thru, but I did try most of the main pieces of Dimes tone enough to find that I personally did not like it. I like it when Ola gets it though... :rock:

i cant remember exactly what it was supposed to do, if i didnt have literally 20 years of guitar world/player's id find that article. i watched a spectresound vid recently and one of the engineers that worked with pantera said dime ran into a mackie mixer and that was part of his tone too, probably for more eq'ing.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 6:52pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

You need the Randall RG100ES. I have one and you can hear that core Dimebag tone. The cool thing is you also get early Savatage and Dokken tones in spades as well.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 7:45pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

harddriver wrote:
RaceU4her wrote:

Yes, he had the L500XL backwards because it makes the tone a bit fatter. Kind of like how the Dimazrio DSonic or Crunch Lab is.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 7:56pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Here's a SD dimebucker thru a PRS Archon with no EQ up front according to the guy in the vid, it's not his SS tone but you hear elements of Dime here. So I guess the Pickup along with an EQ up front of the BE100 may get you there if you can tighten up the BE100 sag with the EQ. You should be able to get close IMO after seeing this vid which was your original question of how to get close to Dime tone with your BE100.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 9:25pm 
Plank Cranker

The Dimebucker is horrible compared to the Lawrence, either version, Wylde or BL USA. Don’t waste your time with that pickup. It’s got a cracked wha eq and is over 16k as compared to the Lawrence at 13k. I think they were trying to make up for the blue mxr boost using the pickup. It fails miserably.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 9:26pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Dimebucker with the RG100ES is really close without any external EQ. When I run the Randall into my Suhr Reactive Load and Wall of Sound somehow the tone is closer to the Century Albums than RG. You should be able to pick up an RG100ES for $3-400.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 10:25pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Bloodrock wrote:
The Dimebucker is horrible compared to the Lawrence, either version, Wylde or BL USA. Don’t waste your time with that pickup. It’s got a cracked wha eq and is over 16k as compared to the Lawrence at 13k. I think they were trying to make up for the blue mxr boost using the pickup. It fails miserably.

I hear more clarity and definition with the BL USA and the Wylde BL. The Dimebucker seems to have more grind to it though, that probably the extra mids from the overwinding. Is there much of a difference between the epoxy potted BLUSA 500XL and the Shielded Wylde BL 500XL? I would think the epoxy filled coils would be a tighter tone and less prone to squealing feedback. I guess Bill Lawrence didn't agree with the epoxy process either before or after their split in 1984.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 13, 2018 10:41pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Bloodrock wrote:
Which Dimebag tone? Lol.

Well for now the two songs that mentioned learning. Makes Them Disappear and I'm Broken. I just need to dial in a decent rhythm and solo tone to record and play the covers.

harddriver wrote:
Here's a SD dimebucker thru a PRS Archon with no EQ up front according to the guy in the vid, it's not his SS tone but you hear elements of Dime here. So I guess the Pickup along with an EQ up front of the BE100 may get you there if you can tighten up the BE100 sag with the EQ. You should be able to get close IMO after seeing this vid which was your original question of how to get close to Dime tone with your BE100.

That guy is a monster player and I loved the tone he was getting on that video. There aren't too many really gainy tones that I like, but his technique seems to work well with it.

harddriver wrote:
Bloodrock wrote:

I hear more clarity and definition with the BL USA and the Wylde BL. The Dimebucker seems to have more grind to it though, that probably the extra mids from the overwinding. Is there much of a difference between the epoxy potted BLUSA 500XL and the Shielded Wylde BL 500XL? I would think the epoxy filled coils would be a tighter tone and less prone to squealing feedback. I guess Bill Lawrence didn't agree with the epoxy process either before or after their split in 1984.

I like the Wylde pickup better than the Duncan but the Duncan Dimebucker has that built in Dimebag EQ. Maybe it will make it a little easier to get a halfassed Dime tone with it.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 7:46am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

harddriver wrote:
Bloodrock wrote:

I had all 3 versions years ago, and I remember the Dimebucker was in the same realm but was definitely brighter, and more extreme overall. The BLUSA was the most tame, and sounded a little more weak. The B&B version was kind of the mid road. It was stronger and more present than the BLUSA, but not as extreme as the Dimebucker.

In the end, I decided though that I really didn't prefer any of them compared to other pickups. They all have so much treble/presence that they kind of sound like they always have a fuzz pedal turned on before an amp. Drove me crazy after awhile. The Duncan Custom or Nazgul can do these types of sounds pretty good also.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 7:52am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The biggest key are the Randall amps, IMO. Any of the older 80's or 90's Randall amps have that core tone that is hard to mimic. I had a Century 200 II for years, and I could easily get Pantera tones with it, regardless of pickup, guitar, boost, etc....

They are kind of JCM800ish, but at the same time, the mids are set at a lower frequency, and can get more scooped than the Marshall. He set the mids on 4, but that was probably like a setting of -2 or something as compared to a JCM800, lol. He set the bass on 8, the treble and presence around 7, IIRC. Everyone seems to think his tone is majorly scooped, but it really wasn't... you cannot get those squeals and crunch and such with no mids. The EQs before the amp were mostly used to boost the mids before the amps to increase gain. At the end in Damageplan he was using a MXR Wylde OD pedal instead for the same purpose.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 9:55am 
Plank Cranker

Shask wrote:
The biggest key are the Randall amps, IMO. Any of the older 80's or 90's Randall amps have that core tone that is hard to mimic. I had a Century 200 II for years, and I could easily get Pantera tones with it, regardless of pickup, guitar, boost, etc....

i still have my century 200II, rg100es, pq4 and i agree. honestly though, i can cop a convincing dime tone with a metalzone into a clean amp. you can dial in that kind of hollowness in his tone with the parametric eq.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 10:41am 
Supah Stah

Bloodrock wrote:
Which Dimebag tone? Lol. His tone changed quite a bit over the years. You really need a Randall for that dry SS tone. Right now I use a Randall Century with a 10 band in the loop and the old blue MXR in front. That mxr is very key, but it’s a noisy bitch. I get very close. Still need a flanger/doubler. Easiest way is to get the Randall X2 full stack, put it on the Dime settings and turn it up. Loudest fucking amp I ever had, but it needs both matching cabs to sound right. That one got the cops called on me more than once. Lol

Trust me when I tell you that Bloodrock and I hiked this road more than most. We are both locals,and I was around at the beginning when it was just the blue MXR and the Yamaha combo into Marshall cabs.

It was always the blue MXR in an extreme frown(two middle sliders all the way up)in front. The Furman eventually wound up in the loop to tweak the tone stack. So,for the op question I would advise hitting the front with lots of mids,then tweaking an eq in the loop of your amp(whatever amp you are using)with an additional eq.

And as Bloodrock says,the X2 is the best way to plug and go...tho I realize that's not the question the op asked. My Dime rig is the one he is referring to. Three X2 heads powering three Warhead stacks of cabs. Ridiculous rig,but oh so enjoyable. Same tone can be had with the C200 head and the aforementioned MXR(tho any good graphic will get you close)and Furman in the loop(but it's even close without the furman). And the Bill Lawrence pickup is a must,tho the Duncan dimebag is ok....Just ok IMO. And no matter what,it's a hissy noisy bitch.

Add liquor to taste and turn it up loud. Bloodrock and I have done it lots of times with real deal Dime gear. Good luck with the tone hunt,man.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 10:56am 
Rock God

Agreed that the dimebucker sounds to nasally. I would think a Lawrence L500-XL is the way to go and as others mentioned, the Randall is huge. That kid in the clip above nails it to my ear. Tubes don't do jagged enough of a sound and while they sound great.. they don't sound right.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 11:18am 
Plank Cranker

this is so badass. few if any were as good as them in their prime

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14, 2018 3:18pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Found another interesting vid on Dime tone with a SD dimebucker. Not sure what he using but probably some modeler.

This is pretty Dimey

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 11:58am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Love Dime, but never understood his taste in tone

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
Charvel Pro Mod Neon Pink
Charvel Pro Mod Rocket Red
USACG Superstrat - Roasted Maple Neck/Roasted Alder/1984 Original Floyd Rose

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 12:14pm 
Journeyman NOOB

scottosan wrote:

I would have to deduct that metal probably isn't your main choice of music. What is there to criticize about his sound. It's aggressive, fits the style of music, and unique to his amazing playing. Have you heard Cemetery Gates or Makes Them Disappear? That's some fine metal tone in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 12:24pm 
Supah Stah

Can't get it with the AxFx??

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 12:27pm 
Supah Stah

MistaGuitah wrote:
scottosan wrote:

I would have to deduct that metal probably isn't your main choice of music. What is there to criticize about his sound. It's aggressive, fits the style of music, and unique to his amazing playing. Have you heard Cemetery Gates or Makes Them Disappear? That's some fine metal tone in my opinion.

If uber-scooped and grainy is your thing, more power to you.

His tone leaves alot to be desired, IMO. (I hope my opinion doesn't offend you, and you go SavageRiffer on me).

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 12:34pm 
Journeyman NOOB

napalmdeath wrote:
Can't get it with the AxFx??

I downloaded a patch for it. You should read up on the AxeFX because it's very easy to find patches for just about any tone on the Internet. All you have to do is hook a USB cable up to your computer and use a software utility. It's that easy. Here, I will give you the link to Fractal's support page.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/support/

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 1:54pm 
Plank Cranker

RaceU4her wrote:
this is so badass. few if any were as good as them in their prime

Not to hijack the thread but I was thinking the same exact thing while watching old Pantera vids yesterday!! Just brutal!! :rawk:

Effects: Friedman BE-OD, MXR Custom Badass Mod OD, Exotic EP Booster, Wampler Plextortion, TC Flashback, Digitech CR-7, MXR 6-Band EQ, Boss NS-2 & TU-2, Fall-Out Labs Interface

Good Deals With: _actual time_ / flavatrocious / pulverizer / Thames / roodboy / mixn4him

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 3:54pm 
Plank Cranker

RIP Dime, so super heavy.

'79 1960B Marshall Cab w/G12M-25 creambacks

Numerous Custom Jackson King V's

Sell me your Jackson KV1T :rawk:

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 4:54pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

A dimebucker and a boost on your rig should be close enough, and probably better in some ways. I loved his tone, and don’t think extreme metal guitar tones should be all pretty and shit. A friend was playing I’m broken through my Evh and my jackson with a nazgul in it and was pretty close.

Les Paul and some Jacksons.
A box full of boost pedals

great transactions w: neeklaus, type_o_neg, RockStarNick, sswanson, ///MK, DoomBuggi, Retrojet, Bwill81, AmpliFIRE, Mizati20, Bubbastain, colimofsmoke, crankyrayhanky, UberschallEL34 RKnight, the rossness, battery198 alowerdeep, Tronald Dump.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 4:56pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

...and I’ve had dean gas since this thread started. Will get an ML this year.

great transactions w: neeklaus, type_o_neg, RockStarNick, sswanson, ///MK, DoomBuggi, Retrojet, Bwill81, AmpliFIRE, Mizati20, Bubbastain, colimofsmoke, crankyrayhanky, UberschallEL34 RKnight, the rossness, battery198 alowerdeep, Tronald Dump.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 5:04pm 
Supah Stah

mchn13 wrote:

Been looking at this one...
https://reverb.com/item/7608411-dean-ml ... _BwE&pla=1

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 5:17pm 
Journeyman NOOB

mchn13 wrote:
A dimebucker and a boost on your rig should be close enough, and probably better in some ways. I loved his tone, and don’t think extreme metal guitar tones should be all pretty and shit. A friend was playing I’m broken through my Evh and my jackson with a nazgul in it and was pretty close.

I've been following this thread and decided to get a Dimbucker but got lucky and came across a BL 500XL for only $35 on clearance. I just so happen to have a Duncan 59n laying around. That should be close enough for Dime-style tone on a budget.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 5:37pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

MistaGuitah wrote:
mchn13 wrote:

I've been following this thread and decided to get a Dimbucker but got lucky and came across a BL 500XL for only $35 on clearance. I just so happen to have a Duncan 59n laying around. That should be close enough for Dime-style tone on a budget.

Yeah dude. I played solid state Randall’s for years, and while they were cool, it was just a base for all that input signal and mid manipulation. The pickup and how you boost will do it imo.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 5:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

napalmdeath wrote:
mchn13 wrote:

Haha! It’s in my watchlist. I really liked that braziliaburst stealth I played tho....waiting til I off some extra gear.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 6:23pm 
Supah Stah

mchn13 wrote:
napalmdeath wrote:
mchn13 wrote:

Haha! It’s in my watchlist. I really liked that braziliaburst stealth I played tho....waiting til I off some extra gear.

That guy's store is local to me. I need to go check it out!

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 6:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

MistaGuitah wrote:
scottosan wrote:

I grew up on the stuff and love Pantera's music. But his tone is typical unrefined buzzy tone in comparison to others of the same genre. You should be able to pull his tone off pretty easy without dropping alot of coin

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
Charvel Pro Mod Neon Pink
Charvel Pro Mod Rocket Red
USACG Superstrat - Roasted Maple Neck/Roasted Alder/1984 Original Floyd Rose

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 6:55pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

MistaGuitah wrote:
mchn13 wrote:

You're on the way... to circle back to your original quest to get the tone with your BE100 here what I think will get you there. Turn your gain down to JCM800 levels of gain you may have to pull some low end response out of the BE100 on the amp, boost your gain with MIDS back up with your 6 band EQ into the input, add another 6 or 10 band or Parametric EQ to scoop the mids back out. That kid above with the MXR6 band and PQ4 and the randall just nails it, He is running it MXR > PQ4 > Noise gate > amp input.

Did the old Randall's have an effects loop and did Dime run the PQ in the effects loop or up front? I think you got some good advice from Boodrock that should get you close enough to Dime tone to make you happy without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 16, 2018 3:19pm 
Hack

As mentioned earlier the old blue face MXR Flanger/Doubler rackmount set for doubling is a key ingredient to his tone! Obviously a Randall RG 100 ES, or 80 ES, Randall Century 200 or a Marshall Valvestate 8100 will get most of the way there. RIP Brother Dime

Last edited by riffsfordaze on Wed, Mar 28, 2018 1:03pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 16, 2018 3:27pm 
Hack

The old Randall RG 100 ES does have an effects loop. Dime ran everything into the front end except the MXR Flanger/Doubler which was in the effects loop.

Last edited by riffsfordaze on Wed, Mar 28, 2018 1:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 16, 2018 3:45pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I just realized that this is an advantage of the Kemper over the Axe FX. You can't get new amps from Fractal but you can profile any amp with a Kemper. It would be easy to find a Randall and profile it in just a few minutes for instant Dimebag tone. I did a little youtube search and found some pretty great sounding Pantera sounds. I don't know if they nail the tone or whatever but they sound terrific.