String Butler.... Finally can use my LP!!!!

errrrrl":bf4byr2r said:
paulyc":bf4byr2r said:
I don’t understand tuning issues on Les Pauls and SGs, I’ve never had any problems... ever. All stock everything too. As long as you always tune up to the note and stretch the strings out never an issue. If you tune past it you need to go below, give the string a quick jerk and then just tune up to pitch again not going past it. Easy.
It's weird, not all my Les Pauls have this issue btw. I notice its less of an issue with thinner gauge strings also. But for my guitars that go out of tune this thing is rad. I can do stupid bends now without any issues. Makes a huge difference when home recording for me.

7 Stringer":bf4byr2r said:
I tried putting nut sauce, graphite, talc powder. Nope. But this. Miracle to me.
I did the same with nut sauce and graphite pencils, some graphite crap from stewmac too. :LOL: :LOL:

It is odd how not every LP suffers from this. My 2017 Standard with locking tuners and a bit of nut sauce never gives me any grief no matter how much bending I do. Hard to deny the problem exists with the amount of people complaining about it.

errrrrl":1c7n8lao said:
The difference is huge. My old daily beater SG just stays in tune now. Got mine on Amazon btw for those looking for them.

Are you using the V3 on your LP?

Tronald Dump":3a6tdmxb said:
errrrrl":3a6tdmxb said:
The difference is huge. My old daily beater SG just stays in tune now. Got mine on Amazon btw for those looking for them.

Are you using the V3 on your LP?
Yup, I also have a V2 on my old SG.

UltraGary":jnf14wq6 said:
paulyc":jnf14wq6 said:
I don’t understand tuning issues on Les Pauls and SGs, I’ve never had any problems... ever. All stock everything too. As long as you always tune up to the note and stretch the strings out never an issue. If you tune past it you need to go below, give the string a quick jerk and then just tune up to pitch again not going past it. Easy.

^^What he said. I don't see any problem with the original design.^^

I think the design is clearly flawed otherwise there wouldn’t be such tuning issues everyone seems to have with LPs. None of other style guitars I’ve had/have have the tuning issues of the LPs. I looked into the string butler before, but ultimately I was able to get by with string stretching and liberal use of nutsauce.

Is the design flawed or is there rampant user error going on ??? I contend it’s simply user error, most likely not stretching the strings out enough and tuning up to pitch only. I can’t tell you how many guys I’ve seen live tuning down in the heat of a gig and then fighting it the rest of the night.

paulyc":2reg7gi8 said:

I hardly have problems at all. The one time i did have a Tuning issue, it was on the G string & i just had my repair guy make me a new Nut out of Bone & that solved all my tuning issues.

errrrrl":kexgsbsw said:
Dude I just put some on earlier this week too! Good shit! Looking at yours makes me wish I got a gold one now. Sadly my R7 LP has vintage tuners so there is no nut on the headstock and I couldn't put them on.

getpubthumb

FWIW, I like the black one better.

I need this for my LP for sure. I love the tone, however it just sat collecting dust for years out of frustration. Played my PRS instead, I only have to tune it once a month seems like, haha.

I did however make the LP usable by lubing the nut, and rolling the edges of the fret board.

Not all les pauls have tuning issue but 50-60% of them do and I can count 2 maybe 3 LP's I've had over the years
that would stay in tune. This is a great idea! I always thought that getting an LP that stayed in tune was akin to winning the lottery :LOL: :LOL:

the only LP I have that has zero tuning issues is my LP Jr, because I replaced the zero-fret nut with the Tusq adjustable nut (this is a generic web pic)

maxresdefault.jpg

G and D slots are angled for a good reason. My other LPs require much more lube and finesse to keep them playing in tune. I was looking into the issue several years back and found the String Butler, but it was an overseas item back then so just forgot about it.

Good to know they are readily available on Amazon now. Gonna have to pick up a couple. The LP's will get way more play time because of it.

Riggins1966":j6pwcxl6 said:
the only LP I have that has zero tuning issues is my LP Jr, because I replaced the zero-fret nut with the Tusq adjustable nut (this is a generic web pic)

maxresdefault.jpg

G and D slots are angled for a good reason. My other LPs require much more lube and finesse to keep them playing in tune. I was looking into the issue several years back and found the String Butler, but it was an overseas item back then so just forgot about it.

Good to know they are readily available on Amazon now. Gonna have to pick up a couple. The LP's will get way more play time because of it.

Exactly.

See here why my Dean stays way better in tune:

20181219-101232.jpg

Has a bone nut from the factory also. Why dont Gibson cut there nuts on an angle? Would help a lot imo.

Now dont start with the cutting the nuts jokes.....,lol

paulyc":2mhu9i2h said:
I completely agree. All my lesters stay in tune great using this method.

paulyc":35gxhwvu said:
Is the design flawed or is there rampant user error going on ??? I contend it’s simply user error, most likely not stretching the strings out enough and tuning up to pitch only. I can’t tell you how many guys I’ve seen live tuning down in the heat of a gig and then fighting it the rest of the night.

I always stretch my strings, and tune under then pitch back up to the note, and it still goes out. My G string is the worse offender.

Now that being said, I typically use 11's, and the nut is pretty tight on the strings, so that probably contributes. I have switch to 10.5's on my LP, and lubed the nut, it's much better now, to the point of being usable.

Now in contrast, my PRS custom 24 stays in tune like a mofo, but you can look at the headstock/nut and clearly understand why. It's a superior design. So I don't know if the LP headstock/nut should be called a design flaw, or not, but it's a pain in the ass for many.

On a side note I think a well worn LP may have less of a problem, because the nut being worn. Lower gauge strings would be less of a problem too.

Watch John Sykes live videos of him bending behind the nut like a madman and then tell me a whole step bend on the fretboard puts your LP out of tune...Sykes has a brass nut on his main black Custom but still...

A properly cut nut will do the same thing without adding equipment to your LP. If you don't have a good tech around this may be a decent option.

Ryno1330":3gd0qj3i said:
A properly cut nut will do the same thing without adding equipment to your LP. If you don't have a good tech around this may be a decent option.

Amen. An experienced luthier hand-cutting a bone nut is more effective, and less hideous looking! 99.999% of LP tuning issues are poorly cut nuts. FROM THE FACTORY.

I wouldn't call it a design flaw, just bad thought process, and execution.

Gibson has been changing nut materials for years, in hopes of improving tuning stability, but I say cut the fucking thing right, and call it a day.

7 Stringer":47cciofw said:
Yup, this thing works fucking great, amazing. Was not using my LP cause of you know what.... Tuning issues. Had this thing for years and it was sitting. Those days are over. The String Butler saved it. And it looks great too. But the main thing is that it works perfectly, beat the hell out if it for the past two hours with zero tuning!!!! Nada. Never happened before. I just ordered 3 more. My 2 Deans which are not that bad but detunes a little. And one for my dad for Christmas for his LP also.

Well worth it if you have a LP or 3+3 headstock designed guit.

20181218-165920.jpg

Chris
yep, love this procuct!

Vast improvement for me. I had already installed locking tuners and had a bone nut installed, but I bend the !Q$#%@!#$ out of the strings! lol

Ryno1330":247bfqyt said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This!

Back